Wrecked my 99 F150. Should I weight it Down?

Old 12-04-2000, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wrecked my 99 F150. Should I weight it Down?

So I'm driving down a rainy highway minding my own business, when the right rear end of my custom built F-150 comes swinging around. Yep...I was going about 50 on a 4 lane highway and hydroplaned. Fortunately, no other cars were involved and I was not injured. Me and my truck ended up on top of the concrete divider. $5300 in damage. The repair shop did a great job, and I am again a happy commuter (That little Toyota Corolla rental got old real fast!).

Questions:

1) Has anyone experienced spontaneous spin-outs?

2) Doesn't Ford make something that will weight down the back end?

3) If so, would it help??

Specs:
99 S/C Flareside
4.6 V8
Auto
LS rear end
Towing package/HD suspension
All factory - no mods.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:07 AM
I'm guessing your truck had the stock Goodyear RT/S tires...might want to get some better quality tires. I highly recommend the Bridgestone Dueler AT. I'm not aware of anything ford makes that'll add weight to the back end of the truck. You could buy a heavy-duty replacement rear bumper...those tend to carry some weight. Your other option might be to add a big piece of sheet metal to the bed. Hope this helps.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red12a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red1a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red16a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A>

1998 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road | Red Supercab | Automatic 4.6
3.55 limited slip | 12-disk cd changer | limo tint
Magnum Custom wrap-around grill guard | Offroad lights
Blazer back-up lights | Full-length nerf steps with custom brackets
275/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler ATs

<A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red14a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red13a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red15a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.my-f150.com/swamprat/red4a.JPG" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Find out more about my truck here:
<A HREF="http://www.escalix.com/freepage/merlin2/truckpag.htm" TARGET=_blank> </A>
Or email me at melvin02@netzero.net

[This message has been edited by swamp rat (edited 12-05-2000).]

Old 12-05-2000, 03:32 AM
Yep I bet it was the stock tires.I had it(spin out) happen to me once on a two lane road on a corner.Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic.I did over correct trying to stop that spinout.I corrected again and it tried to slide the other way.If you could have saw it, you probably would have laughed it looked so staged.The rear end of my truck just a swinging back and forth.Since I put my Pirelli Scorpion At tires on,I have had no hydroplaning issues whatsoever.I think any aftermarket tire will remedy the hydroplaning.(within reason).

Old 12-05-2000, 01:14 PM
Wink

Back when I had my lowrider, I never hydroplaned at all. Even with the stock tires. But when it was stock hieght it did have a tendancy to slide a little. Now that was a while ago and it also was a nissan and I have seen the light and gotten my self a respectable vehicle. I am curious though, have any of you lowered F150's noticed any hydroplanning after being lowered?

------------------
1997 F150 4.2 4x2 X-CAB Flareside Black
With all of that out of the way, lets get to the good stuff:
STEREO: Special thanks to Josh & Popps @ www.radio-active.org [*]H/Unit SONY Xplod ES CDX-M750[*] F/Speakers Rockford's Fanatic Q Components FNQ2514(THEY SUCK AND ARE NOW GONE)[*] NEW F/speakers are Memphis studios 5X7[*] R/Speakers Rockford's FRC1257 5x7[*] Sub:PheonixGold XS 10" in prefab box under bench seat w/o lift.[*] Memphis Amp ST3004 with front channels running seperates and rear channel running the sub. 5x7 running off H/U
I'm going to change my whole set up.
Under D'Hood:[*] Only a K&N filter.
Its lame, you have to start somewhere right? Trust me, I dream BIG.
On D'Skin:[*] Bug Deflector[*] One Vent Visior, other fell off[*] windshield sticker for www.radio-active.org [*] Hyperwhite headlight bulbs[*] Clear quarter & back glass for an even tint. Thanks Progressive![*] Custom door dings from some A$$HOLE in a parking lot on both sides.
At the moment I am running pretty stock on the outside, but the truck is clean and I have even BIGGER ideas for the outside. SC just got one step closer a lottery so maybe there is still hope.
LINKS:
www.radio-active.org
www.roadarmor.com I said I have big dreams right?
www.nookie.com

Old 12-05-2000, 07:16 PM
My truck is lifted alittle and was driving down 35 to San Antonio, it was pouring out atleast a inch of water on the road, and my truck held at 90 with ease...Dont think it has anything to do with the lift/lower thing....Think you guys hit it on the nail...factory tires suck..Good luck..Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,Eagle polished wheels 16x10 w/Yokahama Geolandars 315/75/16s,all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift,3" spindles, 3" body lift=9 1/2 inches of lift, lift lips.coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars,Image tail light covers (painted).and it still fits in the garage, yeahhhhhh

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 12-05-2000, 07:28 PM
DAVENSA:

I'm running the original stock Goodyear Wrangler AT's with 22k miles. I rotate all 4 tires (back to front/front crossed to back) every 6000 miles.

------------------
TexasDude
'99 F-150 S/C, Flareside, 4.6 V8, Auto, 3.55 LS Axle, Tow/HD Suspension Package.

The only thing modified is my attitude.

Old 12-05-2000, 07:44 PM
Get some new tires, ever since I got rid of my Goodyear APs I haven't had any problem driving on wet concrete.

------------------
'98 F150 S/C 5.4 V8 4x2, Aggie maroon, spindle lift, blocks and leafs, Rancho RSX shocks, Airaid filter system, Pro Comp 305/70/16, AR Baja 16x8, Dynomax duals, and some other stuff

Old 12-05-2000, 07:59 PM
Red face

TexasDude,
I'll just add my 2 cents worth.
GOODYEAR TRUCK TIRES SUCK.
I now drive on Goodrich All Terrains, and noticed the difference in traction immediately. There are other brands just as good (Pirellis, Michelins, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 12-05-2000).]

Old 12-05-2000, 08:01 PM
Correction: my tires are Goodyear AP's. NOT Goodyear AT's as previously stated.

------------------
TexasDude
'99 F-150 S/C, Flareside, 4.6 V8, Auto, 3.55 LS Axle, Tow/HD Suspension Package.

The only thing modified is my attitude.

Old 12-05-2000, 09:20 PM
I've been following the Goodyear-bashing with curiosity for months. Going from the Wrangler AP (I think) P255/70R16 on my '97 to the RT/S LT245/75R16 on the Y2K seem a pronounced IMPROVEMENT in dry as well as wet traction -- and if you fellows have seen such a dramatic improvement with the Goodrich etc tires, I'm interested.

During the lunchtime trek thru the parking lot, I've noticed no less than FIVE different tread patterns on the Wrangler RT/S tires alone -- and wonder how much the tread and tire carcass (like: the P-series get inflated to much less tire pressures than do the LT series) have in common.

Now with 16,000 on the tires, and the first real snow (>16" two weeks ago), the RT/S are pretty confidence-inspiring -- at least on my truck.

Based on the tire wear, it will be at least a few more years before I'll be looking for new tires -- and I'll be pretty tuned-in to your suggestions by then.

Thanks,

------------------
Y2K™ 7700 4x4
Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 12-05-2000, 10:17 PM
My Goodyear Eagle GT II tires that came with the truck have been doing well, dry or wet.

------------------
99 4.2 XLT Red Flareside Sport, Homemade open air box with a K&N Filter, Black Nerf bars, catback exhaust,Superchip, Rear 2 inch drop, clear front corners, Helix Throttle Body Spacer. Soon a Belltech 2/4 lowering kit and new wheels.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:08 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Well, around here, we have a lot of small pickups, all 4x2's esp nissans. Farm workers use them. They spin out on ice and water all the time.

In the winter I notice most of the smaller pickups like rangers and S10's (we all know what the "S" in S10 stands for, right? ;-) )
sorry, people put hay bales in them for the winter. They weigh about 100lbs each, I think.

I have never seen a full- size pickup spin out around here during the winter or on bad roads. And I never see them with hay bales, either. But we dont get huge rain, either, that's over in seattle and portland.

--karl

Old 12-08-2000, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who don't like either brand,The Michelin LTX M/S tires are the best truck
tires I 've used. The handling difference
was astounding. Of course this could be
because the van conversion company used passenger car tires on a vehicle that weighed over 2 1/2 tons,lol,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Euro style tail lights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good]
Viper 500HF Security system.
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
Still want to lift it,YESSS!
Come see my new picturesat www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 12-10-2000, 09:50 PM
Banned
Location: Collierville,TN,Confederate States of America |>&lt;|
Are you sure that it is the tires and not you? As a 17 year old I would like to start by saying that some people think I do drive like a true american teenager. I also do not have any trouble out of my stock tires. Even while having a manual transmission.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
17 inch Wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster,
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs

Old 12-13-2000, 03:49 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
TexasDude,

Knowing that your tires are prone to hydroplaning helps. I had the Goodyear Wrangler RTs on my truck. When they were new they were fine. As they wore out they got progressively harder to control in the rain.
Testing for hydroplaning during your trip helps also.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrecked my 99 F150. Should I weight it Down?