front end squeak?

Old 01-31-2000, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool front end squeak?

Does anyone else have this problem? When ever I go over speed bumps(straight on, not diagonal) I hear a squeak when the front suspension compresses and releases. The shocks are not leaking and the sway bar bushing appear to be greased. Please Advise.

------------------
stock 98 XL, Reg. cab,4.6, Auto, Tow package, 255/70R16 on styled steel wheels,3.55LS, Black with chrome grille and bumpers! MODS: custom stereo by me, building speaker box was a !@#$%. K&N air filter w/ airbox mod, a complete keyless entry system.

Old 01-31-2000, 10:47 AM
Arrow

I have the same thing but havent looked into it. I assumed it was the swaybar bushings or something. I also noticed a little bounce going over the speed bumps. Do you have that also?

-Tim

Old 01-31-2000, 03:11 PM
Could it be the shock mounting bushing they are usually rubber? I think the shocks would move in a radial fashion and therefore forse the bushings to rotate.
Just a thought
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 01-31-2000, 09:24 PM
Cool

Tim C
The truck rides just fine and quickly settles down over a bump, no extra bounce.

------------------
stock 98 XL, Reg. cab,4.6, Auto, Tow package, 255/70R16 on styled steel wheels,3.55LS, Black with chrome grille and bumpers! MODS: custom stereo by me, building speaker box was a !@#$%. K&N air filter w/ airbox mod, a complete keyless entry system.

Old 03-01-2000, 11:45 AM
Talking

I had the same problem i think. Going over bumps and the like i would get a squeak in the front end. I took it to the dealership and they say they had to realign one of the coil springs on my 98F150, they also said they had had a few others with the same prob from the factory.
hope this helps

Old 03-03-2000, 09:58 AM
I get a squeak turning the wheel, does that count?

(haven't figured it out though..and no, it isn't the tires lol)

Old 03-08-2000, 07:16 AM
There is a Technical Service Bulletin for F150 trucks beginning in year 1997. This annoying squeak is probably the pitman arm. I had it replaced yesterday. No cost to me. I am still under 36/36 warranty. The squeak is gone. Look into this to solve your annoying squeak.

1997 F150 XLT

Old 03-08-2000, 01:17 PM
shmooth,
no, that doesn't count.
your squeek is the pitman arm. if you are out of warranty then it will only cost around $60 (after installation).

Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Same problem

I have the same problem, plus the squeak when turning. I replaced the upper ball joints and control arms to no avail.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I know I am a few months behind here, but I had a terrible squeak from the right front area. Tried to spray the ball joints down with WD40 as there was no greese fittings. GRRRRRR, cheap jerks. Anyway, I replaced all the ball joints (I figured at 116,000 miles it was a good investment and not a waste of my time). What do you know, no more squeak. Oh, and Moog ball joints cost a little more but they come with grease fittings for uppers and lowers. A little grease goes a long way. RockAuto.com has good prices if you can order in advance and not need them NOW.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by bleerii77
I know I am a few months behind here, but I had a terrible squeak from the right front area. Tried to spray the ball joints down with WD40 as there was no greese fittings. GRRRRRR, cheap jerks. Anyway, I replaced all the ball joints (I figured at 116,000 miles it was a good investment and not a waste of my time). What do you know, no more squeak. Oh, and Moog ball joints cost a little more but they come with grease fittings for uppers and lowers. A little grease goes a long way. RockAuto.com has good prices if you can order in advance and not need them NOW.

Don't worry about the "few months late" thing....the thread is 10 yrs old

Old 04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah My friend and I had the same issue, squeaked when it hit a bump and when he turned. It was the lower ball joint. Got the moogs and all was good in the universe.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
mine is ****ing loud....so loud people look at me funny

Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Talk about necroing a thread! Well im going to necro a bit further.

I've got the squeaking bad when turning my wheels...... Pitman as you guys said would solve that..... I've also got a squeak that sometimes occurs but it sounds like its coming from under the cab of the truck. I noticed that I can get out of the vehicle and close my door hard and sometimes hear the vibrating squeaky sound... any clue what may cause the second? One person said it could be the internals of the catalytic converter... some how I can't believe that. This did start occurring shortly after having my exhaust installed. Its hit or miss whether it happens.. sometimes it will occur on every small shake of the truck for a week straight.. then it might got a month without it. Really annoying.

Also with changing the pitman arms..... is this something that normally gets changed or could/would effect alignment (AKA... should I have them changed while doing any alignment anyhow..?)

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Haemon,
I have never heard a catalytic converter squeak like metal on metal. Like the ball joint noise when turning your wheel. When I had the squeaking, squealing ball joint, it would make noise when turning the wheel right to left and left to right, from lock to lock the whole range both directions. It also would make it's noise when going over bumps, even small ones on the road. When turning the wheels the ball rotates in the joint. When the wheel travels up and down (even minor movement) the ball moves from a straight up position to an angle either inboard or outboard direction. This too created a squeak, I was able to repeat that sound by "bouncing" the front end making the shocks travel up and down. Pressing on the bumper, just rocking the truck body up and down. I think the actual noise is from the vibrations on the control arm which houses the ball joint and that kinda masked the source of the noise. To me anyway. The best thing is to have someone check where the noise is while turning the wheel. In my situation the noise was clear even when stationary, turning the wheel or rocking the body up and down. As for the pitman Arm. Any time you change Steering/alignment parts it is recommended to have an alignment. If there was play or slop in the joint/link to the pitman the last time it was aligned it could have been adjusted to bring it in to spec and once the part(s) are replaced the alignment could become out of spec.

Firestone offers a life time alignment for $169, on sale right now for $129. Single alignment is $69. I always suggest a lifetime if you are going to be keeping it for any significant length of time. It will pay for itself. Of course they like to sell this because a) people forget they paid for a lifetime alignment and take it somewhere else, b) they can always make the suggestion of needed or upcoming needed repairs.

I don't usually just take their word, I always verify what they say. of course, if you build a good relationship with them, they will understand who and how you are as a customer, they will (hopefully) respect you. In turn, I personally will pay a few dollars more for tires from them, if they are even more expensive depending on tire/brand/promotions. I also suggest asking to have their senior or best alignment tech do the job. Of course they say all their techs are qualified, certified, blah, blah, blah... but we all know how that goes.

Recently I just had the three stooges align my truck, after I installed ball joints and shocks. They told me I needed to install a Cam bolt kit so they could get the alignment in. I was very skeptic about it and after reviewing the situation and researching, I found it was very common. However I do not know if it truly was necessary at that time or if the tech was in competent, guess I will never know for sure. I do know it is required at times and a valid solution for vehicles which have higher mileage with worn parts, my truck does fall into that category. Anyway I installed them, took it back. had them re-align it. I was hoping a different tech was going to do it...but no my luck same young kid. It took him another almost 2 hours...again. He did get it aligned however it several specs were just with in the tolerance. Made me wonder. Now several months later, I have tire ware on the outer edge of my front right tire. grrrrrrrrrrr. Anyway, I just called and scheduled an alignment with Firestone. with there Senior tech.

OK, ok, enough ranting...

Oh, yeah, I have heard catalytic converters rattle, either the heat shield around it. I also have heard the cats make little popping noises as they cool down, when a car sits after being warmed up. It's actually the metal contracting as it cools. I knew I was going to get back on subject. yeah me... LOL

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end squeak?