How do you change the antifreeze?

Old 12-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you change the antifreeze?

I have a 2001 supercrew with a 5.4. and 40,000 miles.
Well thumbing through the manual it says to change the antifreeze every 45,000, so I figure I better look and see what's under the hood. Well what do you know theres no radiator cap on it. just the exspansion tank with the cap on that but it's the same height at the top of the radiator and the hose is so small it looks like it may take awhile to flush and fill it that way! (all day)
I want to do this myself. could somebody help?

After changing the trans fluid and filter and trying to put the little plug back into something for 1/2 hour I decided to throw it away. Looking on the f150 boards made me feel better it was just an extra piece.

Thanks alot

Beardoge

Old 12-08-2002, 04:48 PM
at least on mine there is a white plastic pet-**** at the bottom passenger side of the rad. where you can drain from...for the top i just took off the top rad. hose ..really easy all you need is some slip joint pliers......

Old 12-09-2002, 08:07 AM
AB
Hi,
'97 F150...
Manual says that there are two points to drain the antifreeze: one is at the right bottom of the radiator and another one at the right side of the cylinder block. After you drain you should add new
But I flushed the system at the local oid change chain for $35 total and what they did was they disconnected the pipe on the right side going to the top of the radiator from the block and connected it to the flush machine. It took only 20 mins to exchange the fluid. I think it's worth it.
Hope that helps.
Alex.

Old 12-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't want to suggest that (taking off the radiator hose) thought you'd make fun of me.

Old 12-10-2002, 04:25 PM
I drained all the fluid through the pet-valve on the radiator and then refilled it with water and ran the engine up to normal temperature so that it would circulate throughout the engine. Drained the radiator refilled with water and ran it again. Once again I drained it and refilled with flush and water and ran up to operating temperature. Drained and refilled with water and did the circulating and run up to normal temp twice more. Then I filled with new anti-freeze and water mix. Ran the engine to operating temp to get circulated and topped off the overflow. Seemed to work ok for me- just took most of an afternoon.

Old 12-10-2002, 04:33 PM
i did the same but let it run while it was draining and just kept filing the resivoir untill i got clear water coming out the bottom...

Old 12-11-2002, 12:00 PM
AB
That's exactly what flushing machine does.
Shop had a reservoir filled with 50/50 antifreeze, which sits above the block level, and another reservoir close to the ground (for old stuff). They took the hose off the top of the radiator and (I'm not sure on connections here) while keeping the motor running exchanged the antifreeze. 20 mins!

Old 12-11-2002, 01:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Yep, can't beat the machine for doing a quick job and not having to get your hands dirty, but I think all you did was replace the coolant?

At least when I change mine (manually, and yes, it takes all afternoon!), I also run some that 'rad cleaner' through the system. Then I drive the rig for an hour or so, and drain that mess.

I was really amazed at how dirty the water was after the cleaner had done it's job. Before I ran the cleaner through, I too had nice clean water draining out of the rad while the engine was running.

Two ways to go. Do it yourself or pay someone. Each gets the job done, one you have to spend some time, the other is to spend some extra cash on.

My rad flush cost me $12 for two gals of coolant. $4 for the cleaner. $6 for the beers I drank while it flushed. Time spent with my TRUCK "Priceless".........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you change the antifreeze?