Front End Rebuild, 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Front End Rebuild, 4x4

Hey Guys and Gals. Just bought a new set of Yokohama Geolander AT+II's, and with 84,000+ miles on it, figured it was a good idea to get an alignment. Well, that's where the trouble always starts...

Right side inner and outer tie-rods are shot, as well as lower ball joints on both sides. Think the outer tie-rod on the left was bad too. Anyway, sounded like a good time for a front end rebuild.

Tie-rods, ball joints, bushings the works. I have been able to find most of the parts, piece by piece. Was just wondering if anyone has heard of or used a kit? I know there are a few places that have kits for cars and the like, but didn't seem to have a kit for late model trucks.

Any information would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance for the always useful advice from the F150'ers!!!

Rob

Old 11-18-2002, 01:55 PM
http://www.federal-mogul.com/moog/index.html

Try getting replacement parts with grease fittings from MOOG. They may also have the kit you need. If you/we could grease these joints they might actually last longer..... ya think?

Old 11-18-2002, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Federal Mogal parts are good and do come with grease fittings. I had my lower ball joints replaced with Federal Mogal last winter.

If you were to replace all of the steering and suspension links, with the exception of the upper balljoints, this is around $400.00 tops for parts.

The labor would really make this expensive. But, you should be able to replace everything yourself except perhaps the ball joints.

If you work at NAPA, you can cut the cost in half.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys. I have been looking at the "collection" of Moog Parts. Shouldn't be too bad, got a price for everything with upper control arms, containing the ball joints for under $400.00.

I hopefully will be driving straight in no time...

Rob

Old 11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with that kind of mileage dont! forget to check the idler arm for any vertical movement

Old 11-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Smile

Thanks, I will double check it. The guys who discovered the other problems said the idler arm was ok, but, I'll check it. Kind of a pricey little guy, $67!!! Wow, hope mine is ok.

Quick Reply: Front End Rebuild, 4x4