Coil-Over Rear Shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Coil-Over Rear Shocks.

Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shocks.

These are the new rear coil-over shocks, along with the old Relfex shocks. Big difference.

The coil over shocks are very heavy duty, designed to assist the leaf springs in keeping the bed level while carrying a load.

With bed empty, they provide very smooth damping on bumps. I also put the 300lbs of sand bags over the axle that I use in the winter. The bed didn't drop at all and the ride change was barely noticable.

If anyone is interested, they are sold in pairs for around $100.00 and I'd recommend that you use a spring compressor to install them. Even stading over them and pushing down, I coulnd't keep the shock compressed. To install them, I raised the bed by placing a hydrolic jack under the hitch and then used another jack to compress the shock and hold it in place while I installed the bolt on the axle. Took about an hour just to get the new shocks in

Old 09-10-2002, 04:36 PM
did they raise up the back end of your truck after they had been instailed!

Old 09-10-2002, 05:58 PM
They did!!!

It looks like they compensated for the 78,000 miles I have on the leaf springs, plus a bit more!!!

When I looked at my truck from the side, they made me want to raise the front to level it!!!

Old 09-10-2002, 06:07 PM
The next question is where to score a pair?

Old 09-10-2002, 06:49 PM
I got mine at Napa, but they should be available anywhere Monroe shocks are. They make them for the 4x4 also. Just not for the Lightning and 7,700 lb. GVW. Another thing is that they do come in pairs, so don't let them sell you 2 sets.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Them are some nice looking shock they look like the will do a good job for a long time.

Old 09-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Those Reflex shocks look about like mine (*****). Why did you take them off? Did you get any kinda warranty satisfaction on them, I'm gonna guess you didn't, since you have the new ones pictured there w/ the old ones. I'm thinkin' mine have some sort of problem, because when I drive down the street, like on a brick street, all I can hear is "squeek, squeek, squeek" It's really annoying, and... I don't think the shocks are working near as well as when they were new. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get new ones?? I mean how do I prove that they are indeed faulty??

Old 09-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-15-2002, 01:06 AM
I can't tell you with any certainty how to go about getting the shocks replaced under warranty. I haven't been able to find a printed warranty policy from Monroe.

I have to imagine that it's up to the people you bought the shocks from. If you bought them at Napa, just take them back and tell the person behind the counter that you think they are bad and you'd like them replaced. It's likely up to him/her to make the call, but I'm think that it's in their best interest to replace them and in the best interest if Monroe to go along with it. It just sounds like such a headache though

I was able to buy my shocks at cost, so warranty wasn't really a concern for me, personally. I didn't want the reflex shocks again because they just didn't last. I think that they are offering a lifetime warranty because most people only keep their vehicles for a couple of years and wouldn't bother to replace them anyway.

Old 09-15-2002, 10:10 AM
If you don't mind, what did that set cost you? Are they only available for the rear? Or can you get a full matching set? What should I expect to pay for them? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2002, 12:17 PM
They only make the coil-over for they rear. I payed $51.00 for the pair. Retail is about $115.00

Old 09-15-2002, 10:08 PM
how much did the shocks lift the rear?
i need to gain 2" in the rear when my 96 4x4 is empty because of the weight of my powerlift tailgate.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:47 PM
A shock is not a height adjustment part, it's there to control rebound and damping. Now heavy duty shocks and coil overs may provide a slight increase in ride heigth due to their stiffer nature. Unloaded they stay at full travel as a regular shock will compress just a little with just the weight of the vehicle. I wouldn't expect more than 1/2 - 1 inch in increased height.

As someone mentioned the getting Monroes replaced under warranty is subjective to what store and who helps you. If it's a short amount of time they were installed and the shocks are already worn I might replace them. If they've been on there for 2 years and you put 40000 miles on them and hualing stuff that the truck is not even rated for, then no I probably will not. Technically the warranty as stated by Monroe may be "LIFETIME" but it's "LIMITED LIFETIME", which means they will cover factory defects in material and workmanship. Generally most will cover whatever you bring in just to satisfy the customer. Your best chanes of getting them replaced is not to throw them up on the counter and demand "Give me another pair" in a digusted voice that you had to take them off and put new ones on. Stay calm and cool and "ask" for another pair, it never hurts to have your reciept if you still have it.

Old 09-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Question

I guess i'm confused as to why those coil over shocks won't become completely hashed from road grime/dirt/stones, etc. There is no boot to protect the shaft like a normal macpherson strut. Is that not a problem with these?
Tony

Old 09-19-2002, 02:41 AM
The no boot or cover thing shouldn't be a major factor. I know Rancho makes the statement that you do not have to even use a boot with their shocks and some applications specifally say not to use one. Also, some off road books say not to use a boot as they trap water and dirt inside.
I guess the the tube seal around the piston will scrap away any dust before the piston travels into the shock body. Also, the constant up and down of the piston should keep it pretty slick and clean. If you think about it, I bet the old ones pictured there do not have any kind of seal around the shield, so dust and stuff can still get in there.

Quick Reply: Coil-Over Rear Shocks.