Using the overdrive button...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2000, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using the overdrive button...

Can someone explain to me how to properly use the O/D button? I burned up an S10 trans. by shifting it between "3", and "D" on the highway. (I was 17.) I don't want to make the same mistake with my new truck. What's it for? When is it safe to use it? Thanks.

-AR

Old 08-15-2000, 10:03 AM
On your chevy, when it was in the D w/the circle around it, that was "Overdrive." Overdrive for chevy meant, highway/city cruising. When you shifted from Overdrive to "Drive" (just the D), that was your towing/hauling/pulling gear.

In the Fords, it's almost the same. You should be driving/cruising on the highway w/the "Overdrive OFF" light off. This is the 4th gear. When you want to tow, you push the button on the side that takes the transmission out of "Overdrive." Kind of confusing if you're used to chevy. Now, the OFF silhouette should be lit. You are now out of highway/city cruising.

I'm not the Ford tranny expert, but it feels like a program is given to the engine/transmission which will stay in the current gear for a little while longer before upshifting to take some of the strain off of the engine/transmission by eating up just a little more gas to get the job done. Some say it's just a position on the shifter to eliminate shifting any higher than 3rd gear.

When I had a chevy and tried to race it (never won, so I bought a Ford), friends (who drove Fords) would tell me to keep it in D (for tighter shifting and higher RPMs in each gear).

A local mechanic that's been around for several years commits to the fact that, the shift characteristics are no different, just keeps the tranny from shifting up to 4th... for chevy. It kept the tranny from getting jarred too much (overheating) while CITY/stop-and-go/slowdown-speedup driving.

Ford designed their Overdrive shift for workers who tow/haul/pull.

Old 08-15-2000, 03:01 PM
Right. I almost never push the little button on the side.

Only time I use the tow/haul/pull mode is during a race. And it's hard with my front axle, extended body weight, and 32" tires. But when I do, I'll drop it to 1st, push the Overdrive button (OFF light illuminates), and place my left foot over the brake and keep my right foot on the gas for a quicker response. If you know your redline RPMs, you can manually shift out of 1st to 2nd (w/the column shifter). By 2nd gear, there's no need for Drive cause they're way behind me anyway. Yea, right.

On the highway at 50 or 60 mph, if you want a lower gear to get more pickup to accelerate, all you have to do is step on the gas pedal. Welcome to the world of automatic transmissions. I'm sure you know this. I'm not trying to be an ars.

As far as who's overheating... neither one should as long as you treat your vehicle nicely (unlike me) and make sure the T-fluid is always the right color. But, yes, if one or the other is going to heat up faster, it's the auto, because of the characteristics born from the factory (sadly). Something us performance hungry fiend's always need to remedy. A transmission cooler (maybe a Superchip) and a relaxed foot should fix your concerns.

[This message has been edited by Red BullSr (edited 08-15-2000).]

Old 08-15-2000, 04:58 PM
Talking

You're the man, thanks. I hope I'm not asking too many questions here, and I know their better places on the board to ask, but what are the best advantages of the superchip? Around here, I can only get 91 octane gas. I didn't know a chip could help out my tranny too.

P.S. I just landed a deal on my 2000 F-150. I'll be editing my signature here in a few days.

-AR

Old 08-15-2000, 06:01 PM
Jackal,

Since overdrive shifts in at about 42 mph (in mine), if you are going to be driving over that speed consistently, leave it on.

With it off it simply keeps your trans from "searching" constantly for the 42 mph shift point during city driving.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 08-15-2000, 08:06 PM
I read on a transmissson page somewhere that older chevy(GM) transmissions bypassed the tranny cooler when run in OD. The driver was supposed to shift to D(3rd) gear to tow/haul thereby gaining benefit of the trans cooler. This was evidentally the cause of many trans deaths for GM. This might have been the cause of death in your S10. Don't know if its true for later model vehicles.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, still want a Superchip and by golly I'm gonna get one (just as soon and I hit the lottery )

Old 08-15-2000, 08:13 PM
Talking

Na....it was just a POS!!! Hahaha...I didn't know any better back then. Also, the 97' / 98' S10's had problems with their GM trannys due to poor parts being used by the 3rd. party manufacturer. They also had problems with the wiper motor / module, water pump, mine had problems with the U-Joints, shocks, rear pinion seal...etc...etc. ***** Chevy!!!

-AR

Old 08-15-2000, 08:15 PM
Well...that...AND I had HUGe ol' tires on that beeaach with that tiny @ss 2.2L 4 BANGER.

-AR

Old 08-16-2000, 12:30 AM
Talking

Thanks for the reply man, so no need to MANUALLY kick it out of 4th. for passing on the highway? Just leave it alone most of the time eh? Thanks again.

P.S. It seems as though everyone is talking / worrying about their manual tranny overheating. Is this really legit concern for everyday driving? My last 2 trucks have been 5-speeds, so it's been a while. Thanks.

-AR

Old 08-18-2000, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I use the od off until I reach cruising speed ,about 60 to 65. Then I turn it on,
am I doing it right? If you ask me the light
should've been on when you have it on,It's
really confusing this way.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT
K/N gen.II fipk
Custom duals w/glasspacks
color matched Snuglid
headlight covers.
doin the monochromatic boogie on the front end.
on the way(headers,air dam,wheels and tires,etc...........................

Old 08-18-2000, 09:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't think you are doing it right. The way Ford intended was to leave the OD on all the time. That's why the light is off when OD is on. The light is on when OD is off because that's not the normal operating mode for the transmission. It won't hurt it the way you are doing it, it just burns more fuel. It also does not help anything.

Mark

Old 08-21-2000, 10:25 AM
If you're constantly going in and out of overdrive, then turn it off. It doesn't help the transmission to leave it on if you keep on having to push the pedal down to get out of overdrive to maintain speed up a hill.

------------------
Model: '99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 SS Mechs: 5.4L, 3.73 Diff (9.75" LSD Rear, 8.8" Front)
ORP: Skid Plates, LT265/70R17 GY Wrang. AT/S
Group III towing: HD Electrical/Cooling, GVWR 6500# (Extra leaf spring).
Stuff: Step Bars, 4W Disc ABS, K&N filter, 0W-30 Series 2k Amsoil @ 8200 miles, Herculiner
Stock Items That Differ Across F150s: Steel Driveshaft, Oil filter bolted to engine w/ drip guard, 4R70W transmission.

Old 08-21-2000, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my two cents worth:

I constantly use the O.D. Off Switch, in both my 4x4 and Lightning, in order to provide engine braking during most decelerations, to maintain the desired engine RPM for the traffic situation, to prevent the transmission from "hunting" between third gear and O.D. while in traffic at the 39-45 MPH speed range, and while in Cruise Control mode going up steep grades.

The last three are rarely required with the Lightning due to its ample torque. The engine braking is also much more powerful with the Lightning than with the 4x4.

Wilk

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 Super Cab; XLT 139" Wheelbase Flairside; Silver Frost Clearcoat; 4.6L. (Romeo); 4-spd Automatic Transmission; Preferred Equipment Package 507A; 3.55 Limited Slip Axle; Electronic Shift 4x4; California Emissions; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Towing Package; Off-Road Package; 6-Way Power Driver's Seat; Remote Keyless Entry/Anti Theft; 6-Disc CD Changer; Ford Bedliner; Ford Running Boards; Ford Nose Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

2000 SVT F-150 LIGHTNING XLT; 120" Wheelbase; Flareside; 5.4L EFI SOHC V8 SC Engine; 4-SPD Automatic; Silver Clearcoat Metallic; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover; SVT Online Store Lightning Front End Mask (still in box).

Old 08-28-2000, 10:20 PM
This is a little trick I have been using with mine. When cruising up a hill in over-drive, if I want the tranny to rev just a bit higher to get a little more power, I just let my foot off the gas peddle and then back on immediately. This will automatically raise the rpms and switch you to a higher revving gear. Does that make sense?

------------------
2000 F150 4X4 5.4 3.55 limited slip 4spd auto od tow package keyless entry In other words "STOCK"

Old 08-29-2000, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty sure that you are unlocking your torque converter. That wouldn't be a good thing to do. Unlocking the converter generates heat, and that is what causes most trannys to fry. Just push the throttle half way down and drop it into 3 if that is the only hill in the area. Otherwise else if it is hilly for awhile, take it out of overdrive. So you only get 14 mpg, that is a lot better than burning your transmission up.

Quick Reply: Using the overdrive button...