Transmission Slipping

Old 11-22-1999, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission Slipping

My transmission slips from 2nd to 3rd gear in my 4.6L auto. This problem is very speratic. It will slip all day but as soon as I take it to the dealership I won't slip at all. It slips under normal and hard acceleration and when it's cold and hot. What happens if the transmission rpm's jump up about 2K more than normal like I slammed to pedel to the floor and then it finally slides into gear. It doesn't slam into gear it just finally slips back in. The dealership put it on the computer and it threw a code that it was low on tranny fluid. They added 1 qt and said it should be fine now. It slipped twice on the way home.
Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks all!

Old 11-23-1999, 12:09 AM
I was having the same problem. Eventually the dealer replaced a piston in the valve body. No help -- About a week ago it cratered. Now they are rebuilding it. $1650.00 because it is out of warranty. After minor deliberation I was told I only had to cover $100.00. I should get it back today. (98 4x4 ext. 4.6)

Old 12-06-1999, 07:53 PM
If you ever have concerns with duplicating a PCM controlled function, request the use of a flight recorder.

The @@#$%$# techs should have thought of this. When it slips, you push a button. It records selected PIDS (ex: 1-2 solenoid, VSS, TPS MLP, etc. You get three chances, but it records frames before and after the concern occurs.

They can upload the graphs, and diagnose from there. This includes EEC V! I get so pissed when the techs give us a line of B.S. I hate to have to "Pull their card...".

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

[This message has been edited by crash1 (edited 12-06-1999).]

Old 12-07-1999, 08:28 AM
Lightbulb

Well I finally have nailed it down to a pattern. The tranny only slips the first time it has to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Meaning, on cold start up it will do it and if I turn it off for about 5 minutes to run in the store even though it is warmed up to operating temp it will do it again only once on the first time from 2nd to 3rd. I can drive it around constantly all day and it wouldn't do it again. But if I let it sit or turn it off for 5 to 10 minutes it will slip on the first engagement from 2nd to 3rd out of the parking lot and that's it. Did I explain that very well? Let me know if you guys understood that.

Old 12-08-1999, 12:02 AM
That's sounds like what mine was doing when I took it in the first time. That was when they replaced a valve in the valve body.

------------------
'98 F150 4X4 ExtCab Flareside ORP. Current Mods: Billet Grille, K&N Filter, Spray-in Bedliner, 285-75-16 BFG A/T's, Removed 4X4 Stickers, True Dual exh.

Old 12-08-1999, 12:07 AM
Exclamation

I understand there is a TSB out on this problem for vehicles manufactured from March of 97' through December of 98'. So this could happen to a lot of folks on the list. People should check their door jams for their mfg date. This could be a problem that may or may not occure to many of us here. Just a heads up!

Old 12-14-1999, 02:49 PM
I am a new member. Could you tell me how you describe your transmission "slipping"? I think mine may be "slipping". Occasionally, when you start out, when changing from 1st to 2nd and sometimes after that, there is what I would call a "vibration" or a "shudder". But not everytime. It has done this since I bought it in Apr. 1998. It had 39000 miles on it when I bought it from a friend that bought it new. He said it had always done it at times (why he didn't have it checked, I'll never know) but he took good care of it and had mainly all highway miles. He very rarely put it in 4X4. Only when he needed it, like at the deer lease but nothing bad. In Sept. 1998 I took it to have the transmission fluid and filter changed. That took care of the problem. But now in Dec. 1999 it started again so I took it again to have it changed and they supposedly put a brand new filter in it. It's better but still does it occasionally. Any comments are appreciated.

[This message has been edited by 974X4 (edited 12-14-1999).]

Old 12-14-1999, 03:00 PM
Exclamation

What I mean by slipping is the rpm's rev up about 1500 more than where it is supposed to normaly shift. It's like it was accidently knocked into neutral for a second then it engages and you feel power back again.

Old 12-14-1999, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your response. I guess mine is not slipping. As you can tell, I am not very mechanically inclined, but I do know when something is not right. The guy at the transmission shop said that it could be the "converter" but that changing the fluid & filter would probably stop it. But it didn't. He said the converter would be $395.00. But before I have this done, I will take it somewhere else. I'm not too happy with him due to what I would call misleading advertising. Have you heard of this problem?

Old 12-14-1999, 03:37 PM
Arrow

No, I haven't heard of your problem yet but something new going wrong with our 4x4 trannies doesn't suprise me. I just hope nothing happens to my F150 tranny. (knock on wood)
My '97 4x4 Expedition is the one with the slipping problem.

Old 12-25-1999, 12:27 AM
For all you pre-97 4R70W tranny owners, 974X4's problem sounds like the 1-2 accumulator problem experienced in other vehicles. The original one was aluminum and scuffed in its bore, Ford now makes a rubber encased one to eliminate the sticking. This usually manifests as a hung 1-2 shift but the shudder could be another symptom.
As soon as I have more info I will post some more details.

birdman

Old 12-26-1999, 08:11 PM
Chipper, the 2-3 slippage could be a couple things, and I am no expert, but the 2-3 uses a capacity valve that could be hung up or the 2-3 accumulator could be hanging. The 2-3 accum spring may be broke. There is an elaborate sequence to engage the 2-3 shift so its hard to say. If it happens only on the first shift after line pressure has been at Zero, they it sounds more like sticky valve than slipping gear per se.

Have the service guys do a complete pressure check that might point to the problem

birdman

Old 12-29-1999, 03:27 AM
tac
Chipper, my F150 has been doing the same thing for about 4mos now. I have been to the dealer twice, but have been "unable to recreate the problem" when the tech drives the truck. Since then the slippage has increased to a more frequent rate, not just the first time it makes the 2-3 shift.

I am planning on taking it in and leaving it as soon as we get finished with the new year holiday. Did you ever get anything resolved with your Expedition?

Later,
tac

Old 12-29-1999, 01:40 PM
Some of this is similar to what I had with my TBird. At time I got a shutter when it shifted or going up a incline, but not all the time. Found the pan full of metal, had to have it rebuilt. Then about 10 months later it was as if you put it in neutral for a few seconds while driving down the highway. They finally got that tracked down to a intermittent short in the computer. It would short and tell the tranny to go to neutral. Had a heck of a time getting that to happen when a tech was present. They didn't mention using a recorder either.

Good Luck

------------------
97 XLT Extended Cab 4X2, Northland Edition Short Box. Dark Toreador Red & Saddle Tan Accent. Tan Interior. 4.6L V8, 4-Spd Automatic. 3.55 Limited Slip differential, ABS, Factory Mag Wheels, Factory Bedliner, Non-Leaking Sliding Rear Window, Trailer Towing Package, LeBra Tonneau, Ziebarted, with Repaired Crack in the drivers door.

Old 01-04-2000, 08:28 AM
Talking

We fixed it!! My brother-in-law and I pulled out the valve body and piston that was on top of it but not part of it. It was a different p/n than the original too. It had a different ending letter than the original. It was about a four dollar fix. Of course the dealer would charge MUCH more than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Slipping