Harley-Davidson

The infamous paint problem on SuperCrew's

Old 08-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The infamous paint problem on SuperCrew's

I apoligize for this post, because I know this is posted somewhere on the SuperCrew forum, but I could not find it. As I was wiping down my newly purchased HD SuperCrew, I noticed THIN paint on the front of the hood and the drivers side front fender. I have read about this problem which it occurs along the top of the windshield also. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I finally broke down and bought one of these things, and now I have the famous paint problem.

What do I do now? I hate the thought of it being painted to fix the problem.

I guess Quality isn't really job one with Ford.

I'm pissed!!!

Old 08-09-2002, 10:37 AM
there's always a bad one in the bunch. You just didn't get lucky. Most guys haven't had any problems from what i've been hearing. Biggest paint problem has been roof rain channel cracks. Good luck getting it fixed though

Old 08-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Yeah, not sure what I am going to do about it. You simply can't paint a few body parts and it look the same. I DON'T want to paint the hood and fender for sure.

Maybe a custom flame paint job for the hood and down the sides. Bet orange, red, and yellow would look good. But then you loose a lot of the Harley look.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:10 AM
well if the hoods' messed up and needs to be replaced, there a good excuse for a Ram Air hood !

Old 08-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Great idea!

Old 08-09-2002, 08:14 PM
I vote for a cervini's. I'm driving out to their place on monday to order mine

Old 08-11-2002, 12:10 AM
Where was the final assembly done for this truck? I have noticed that F150's assembled in Ontario have some paint defects and some fit and finish problems. I have noticed paint runs on a couple that I looked at. I won't be buying one that was made in Canada.

Old 08-11-2002, 03:49 PM
SigShooter,
Interesting point you bring up. Maybe the paint problem is limited to trucks built in Ontario. I don't see any problems with mine and mine was built in Kansas City.

Old 08-11-2002, 08:50 PM
ALL the 00 Harleys were built in ontario canada, and my paint job was perfect other than a few cracks in the roof rain channels, which i hear is a common problem anyway. (well as perfect as your gonna get from a factory, you know what i mean )
ALL the 01 and 02 Harleys were built in kansas city missouri

Old 08-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Im happy. Except for a few of my own paint problems(nix and scratches). I havent noticed anything

Old 08-13-2002, 07:28 AM
My truck has a sticker in the windshield that says it was built in Kansas. That same sticker also says something about pride in quality. I wish those guys read this forum. I would tell them something about their quality.

RickC

Old 08-13-2002, 10:25 AM
It's really ashame about the paint problems you have. I would go back to the dealer and also contact your regional Ford representative and let them know how you feel. Ford should make this right for you and I don't mean just repaint your brand new truck. (not acceptable in my book)

Quite a few years ago a good friend of mine bought an Explorer (1991, the first year they were released). He got a 'lemon' which had many problems. Thought it took him a while, Ford bought back his vehicle and, unforunately, Ford lost a customer.

I don't think they want to do that today. Everytime I go to the dealer they tell me to be sure to fill out the survey you get in the mail and let them know we did a good job. Hopefullly they are listening but you got to let them know.

Good luck!!

Old 08-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Yep, I plan to pursue it. I have a brother who also bought a 91 Ford Explorer that was a lemon. His problem was actually caused by a dealer. He took it in for a scheduled maintenance, and the dealer did something to the front end. After that, he had serious vibration problems. He fought with the dealer and Ford for almost a year, but Ford finally replaced it with a 93 Explorer. He still had to pay a difference though. He did stay a Ford person though, he has since bought two Expeditions, a 97 and now a 99. But he purchased other brand vehicles in between that as well.

RickC

Old 08-13-2002, 11:50 AM
When I got my 02 I noticed that you could see red primer through the paint on the rear edge of the front fenders , roof rain channels,& the front wall of the bed. Noticing other HDs on different lots it seems if the trucks appear to have a good gloss you cant see through the paint, but if they are dull looking I have been able to see areas that weren't covered with the basecoat of paint. Somewhere along the line they must have tweaked the paint process to improve these problems. I had mine fixed & it turned out great. But it does make you wonder where the paint inspector was . Or if they even have one. good luck on getting it fixed & keep us posted.

Old 08-13-2002, 12:36 PM
Did the dealer fix it?

Last edited by RickC; 08-14-2002 at 08:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The infamous paint problem on SuperCrew's