Fan Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan Clutch replacement

I'm getting set to replace the fan clutch on my '97 4.6L with 70K miles and have a few questions:

- Any tips or tricks I should know to make it easier? Looks like I need a fan clutch tool, and possibly a breaker bar. I've got the Haynes and Chilton manuals and have searched on the message board for info.

- Is fordpartsonline.com the cheapest online for oem parts?

- I'm going to replace the water pump, upper and lower hoses, and serpentine belt. Though they look ok, I figure it would be good peace of mind and parts are cheap. Should I replace the thermostat along with the hoses?

Thanks for any info.

Mark

Last edited by mderoller; 07-19-2002 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Lightbulb

I changed the fan clutch on my 97 4.2 and it screwed into the pulley. I did not have a wrench to fit the nut so I used a large adjustable wrench and turned the shaft the opposite way it turns when the engine is running to loosen it, it broke free without holding the pulley. Also have to take the top two screws off the shroud and lift the fan and shroud out at the same time. It is real easy. My new clutch makes the fan blow alot of air initially after starting. After a minute or two it queit downs. Good luck

97 XLT
4.2 5-speed

Old 07-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi mderolloer, I think that if your going that far you might as well replace the t-stat. after all it's only a couple of dollars more and your removing the top rad hose already. Don't forget your going to need 16mm flare wrenches for the trans lines going to the radiator. By the way, ever think of putting in electric fans to replace the oem belt driven?

Old 07-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Considering that the fan clutch is over $100.00, you really should think about spending a little more and install an electric fan in its place. They are much more efficient. The fan will only run when needed, and you're engine won't have as much drag.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by AjRagno
Considering that the fan clutch is over $100.00, you really should think about spending a little more and install an electric fan in its place. They are much more efficient. The fan will only run when needed, and you're engine won't have as much drag.
I have thought about it but the problem is price.

I called Performance products and there dual fan kit is $355 plus shipping. That is the cheapest I've seen so far, compared to JDM and flex-a-lite.

Anybody know where I can get a complete kit for under $300?

Mark

Last edited by mderoller; 07-19-2002 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by mderoller

I have thought about it but the problem is price.

I called Performance products and there dual fan kit is $355 plus shipping. That is the cheapest I've seen so far, compared to JDM and flex-a-lite.

Anybody know where I can get a complete kit for under $300?

Mark

For the 55 bucks your looking to save, your gonna wish you had gone with the electric fan kit at performance. It is a dual 16" fan kit and well worth the price of admission.

I know I loved mine from the first time I drove it after the install.

Rocks

Old 07-19-2002, 05:18 PM
where are you guys getting these clutchs?
got mine for $35 at Auto Zone! with a life time warranty!

Old 07-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SPROCKET_X
where are you guys getting these clutchs?
got mine for $35 at Auto Zone! with a life time warranty!

I never priced a fan clutch, so I have no clue as to what they cost.
I was pointing out that the price he got on the dual fan kit was a good one. He was talking about trying to get an electric fan kit for under 300 dollars. IMHO, for under $300, something will be lacking.

Rocks

Old 07-20-2002, 12:00 AM
A Mototcraft fan clutch lists for $177.00 or is available at www.fordpartsonline.com for $111.00.

$355.00 is not pocket change for most of us, but over the long run, you're a lot better of with an electric fan. If you do install it, you'll never again have to remove it to replace the fan clutch or the water pump.

I'm not going to trust a $35.00 fan clutch to protect my engine
They give you a life time warranty because there are good odds that it's going to fail.

Quick Reply: Fan Clutch replacement