Pre-1997 Models

302 runs bad in cold, good on warm days.

Old 05-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 runs bad in cold, good on warm days.

My '88 150 (302) runs like crap in cold weather. As soon as the outside temp starts reaching 70+ the truck litterally jumps to life! When it's cold it bogs down, misses, shifts hard. When the warmer weather comes around, the thing straightens right out and runs like a new mustang. Is there a sensor going bad somewhere? Anybody else have this problem? Thanks!

Old 05-06-2002, 04:22 PM
I believe what you are looking for is called an AIR CHARGE TEMP. SENSOR. It will be threaded into the intake.
BTW - when you remove it you will see a little element hanging in the center or the sensor. I have seen a few of these get covered in gunk and stop working. SOMETIMES you can clean them off and they will work again.

PS. Have you pulled the codes yet?

Old 05-09-2002, 09:11 AM
I've checked out a couple of websites for that sensor, but I can't find anything. Is it called something else?

Old 05-09-2002, 09:30 PM
I am sure that is what it is called. Almost any parts store should have one in stock. Ford used the same one on lots of vehicles.

Look between your number 5 and 6 fuel injectors and you will see it threaded into the intake.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Yep! Found out where the sensor was. I was going to try and clean it before buying a new one. ($15.00) But, as I was trying to get it off I broke it. (Go figure) Anyhow, I started the truck up to see if it would run rough with a broken sensor. I drove it up and down the road a couple of time and %$^#! It drives awesome! Now, do I leave it broken or buy a new one?.......

Old 05-11-2002, 10:21 AM
That was a good call, FORD302GUY! I would have suspected the ECT first, but you were right!

fordby4-
If it runs better disconnected, then it was obviously generating a false signal. As suggested, they have a tendancy to become extremely fouled, and when that happens, it takes them longer to aknowledge the actual temp of the air it's supposed to be measuring. For that reason, cleaning them will sometimes work, but usually not for very long. If it were me, or one of my customers, I would definately replace it with a new one. Ask for an IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor if they don't understand ACT (Air Charge Temperature) sensor. The terminology changed in 1993, so it's a crap-shoot as to what they may call it. Up until 1992, it was called an ACT sensor, but since 1993, it's been called an IAT sensor.

Take care,
-Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 302 runs bad in cold, good on warm days.