Belt noise on cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1999, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Belt noise on cold starts

Since the weather has become colder in my area I have noticed a slapping noise coming from the serpentine belt. It sounds similar to the rattle you hear from a failing water pump. I know its not piston slap because its definitely an external noise,I just cant pinpoint where its coming from.The noise lasts for 10-20 minutes and then disappears after full warm up. Mine is a 98 Expedition with the 5.4 and about 15,000 miles on it. Anyone else had a similar problem? And what was the cure for it? Thanks, Tim

Old 12-27-1999, 10:50 PM
Wink

I have a 98 F-150 w/5.4L, it has started making noise from the front of the engine also and subsides when the engine gets warmed up. Do you think it is the belt???

mark

Old 12-27-1999, 11:13 PM
jj1
my 99 5.4 is sounding a bit grumpy on start up too.........only when it's cold tho......today it was the wurst I've heard..........it's about -17 outside..........gonna go dump it on the dealership after new years......

------------------
Da Kid Wif Da Truck.
'99 XLT SC SB 4x4 5.4 auto 3.55 ls

Old 12-28-1999, 03:17 PM
Talking

Good News...I solved your problem... It is just a cold belt... Start your truck, get a long candle (hold it with pliers away from the fan) and let it rub on the inside of your belt near the alternator for 5 minutes or so. It lubricates the belt and the noise/squeek will go away. Promise! Also, you can go buy belt dressing spray but the candle does the trick. CAUTION...that fan can hurt you...use gloves and a pair or long pliers.... Email me if it does the trick...ostbloom@peopelpc.com

Old 12-29-1999, 03:44 PM
Mine made similar noises! I changed the belt. The noise disappeared. 2 months later the noise reappeared!

I changed the belt again.

The moral of the story is that the belt I bought at Advance Auto Parts lasted 2 months and the belt I bought from the dealership has lasted much longer! You make the choice!

Old 12-29-1999, 07:23 PM
EXACT problem.... Thought my water pump was going bad... Heard some other sounds too.. Mostly on cold start... Just replaced the belt tonight. Ahhhhhh MUCH better! The research I did told me to buy the Ford belt. It cost more but is built quite a bit better...

Good luck!

------------------
Rand

Old 12-29-1999, 07:33 PM
Cool

I used to work as a fleet mechanic for some years. I found that the Motorcraft parts lasted the best. I bought all different brands of parts but had the best life expectancy out of Motorcraft parts.

It sounds like your belts are glazed. You can tell by looking at it in the light. If it has a shiny look to it, it is glazed. This usually isn't a problem, but it can make some noise. Lubricating the belt is temporary, but changing it is semi-permanent. If you find you're going through a lot of belts you'll want to look at your pulleys and maybe your tensioner.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 12-30-1999, 11:54 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up

I replaced my belt tonite also, Big difference no more noise. The new belt was a motorcraft, It was probadly a good 3/4 in. shorter than the one I just have taken off. It was a bear to get it on , it took all I had to move the belt Ten. enough to get the new one on. But it was worth it to get rid of the noise!!

------------------
Red/Silver LARIAT, SC,Flareside 4x4 ORP,Tow Pack.,A.R.E Fg. Bedcover,3.55LS,4.6L,Auto,Spiltfire Platinum 3 Sparkplugs,Gatorback Drive Belt,K&N Airfilter W/Mod.Factory Airbox,Tornado Air Man., Velocity Tube,Custom Dual Exhaust W/20`` Chrome Tips,AVS Window Shades & Door Sills & Tail Lite Slots,GTS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers,FORD 2-Piece Bra, Tinted Windows, Pendaliner Tailgate(Inner)Cover,Ford Security System W/Motion Alarm, Foglites Works W/Brites On, FORD #1 TRUCK Under Glass On Front Bumper,A/TS Goodyear Tires,Perfomance Fiction Carbon Metallic Disc Brake Pads, Owens Fg. Step Boards,55 Watt (Replacement) Backup Lites,Pilot 55 Watt Back up Lites On Hitch Under Truck. This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html

Old 09-06-2000, 04:39 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 99 f150 @ 4500 miles. Belt noise....LOUD belt noise, only when cold. The belt had to be replaced and pulleys were re-aligned by the dealer. No problem since. I hear the problem comes and goes for some, due to the fact that when you wash your engine, the moisture will cause the pulleys to rust a little over night(kinda like your brake rotors) and the next morning...knock,,knock,,knock.....keep that belt clean...

Old 03-21-2001, 08:48 PM
Just bringing this back up

Old 03-23-2001, 12:23 AM
Similar noises here, about 70k kms on my 4.6. I posted a topic in the last few months, and there were a few suggestions.

After trying to rule a bunch of stuff out, i think a fair bit of the noise in my cold startups (-24c this morning) have to do with clutch on the fan. Mine will make some ugly clicking/whirling sounds, and then when i hear that the fan has kicked in, it subsides. Mind you it doesn't last that long - only about 25 seconds until the fan kicks in when it's that cold.

In the warmer above freezing weather, the fan turns on right away (already thinking of the electric one when it's warm enough to feel my hands).

hth.

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S

Old 03-23-2001, 09:26 AM
I had the problem at around 12k miles on my '99 F150. The dealer replaced the belt, idler and tensioner. No more noise and covered under warranty, didn't cost me a dime.

------------------
Rip
2001 F350 XLT SC Dually
V10 * 4X4
Westin Platinum Series Steps
Line-X Spray In Bedliner

Future mods:
Westin Bull Bar
Roll Bar w/lights
CB
Mural on tailgate
33" tires