Changing fluid after 100k miles

Old 04-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing fluid after 100k miles

I haven't changed my transmission fluid for 100,000 miles. It still has the original fluid in it. I am now wondering should I change it due to TC shutter?

I have been told in the past that if the fluid hasn't been changed on a regular basis (not at all) that I will do mare damage by changing it due to the fact that the transmission and parts have become accustomed to the old dirty fluid. Is there any truth to this?

Old 04-10-2002, 11:10 PM
That's exactly what I've heard. It has something to do with the new ATF cleaning what should at this point not be cleaned. If it's goone that far without servicing, you're probably lucky but it may just keep going.

As for what to do about the shutter, I'm at a loss there.......

Old 04-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Yes-- but don't do the flush. Just do a pan drop & change the filter. Doing the flush will remove particles in the tranny that could cause it to mess up.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:10 AM
I've heard that too and I may be in the same boat. My truck has 135K on it and I am not for sure if the tranny was ever serviced or not. I bought it with 87K on it, so right there is a 48K difference. I want/need to do mine now due to the TC shudder and maybe other problems. Sometimes I think it doesn't shift right and I get odd jerks/surges around 40 mph at 1100-1500 rpm when lightly accelerating. The engine is running fairly good and as far as I can tell the rest of the driveline is in good shape. I guess if it is going out changing the fluid, shouldn't matter that much. I thought about dropping the pan, draining the TC, does adding a Transgo kit and sonnax valves sound like a good idea right now or not? It might help it, it might wipe it out.

Old 04-11-2002, 01:14 AM
I have no info or knowledge about doing damage by changing the fluid in the T/C but I can tell you this.
I have 110K on my 93 F150 with the E4OD and it had been shuttering and not shifting well for almost a year.
Last week I decided to address it before it craps out. I changed the filter and fluid, including the T/C.
Now it shifts MUCH more smoothly and the shuttering is completly gone. Much easier acceleration on the highway, and it seems though it doesn't need to downshift as much going up inclines like it was before.
I've put 800 miles on it since last week, and so far, so good.
The shuttering had really gotten severe before the fluid/filter change. So far I am very happy with the result.
Now I'll just hope it holds up.

Old 04-11-2002, 06:52 AM
AB
just my 2 c

Hello,
I bought my '97 SC with around 60k and with no history on the vehicle.
At around 90k I went to a dealer and had the pan dropped, filter changed and TC drained and filled with Valvoline Durablend ATF.
I am around 100k now and there is no problem yet.
But the dealer had mentioned that he had some problems with transmissions that were not serviced until 100k if they were FLUSHED (not just drained). They start leaking in 500-1000 mils after flushing....
Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-11-2002, 09:57 AM
This is what I as afraid of. I was hoping to here that all of this is just an old mechanics tale.

Jetmech - Did you have it flushed or did you just drop the fluid? Let me know if your tranny takes a dump or starts acting weird. I definatly need to do something in the next few weeks because the shuttering is getting pretty bad.

Old 04-12-2002, 01:24 AM
If it was my vehicle I'd drop the pan, change filter and drain the TC. Instruction on www.f150world.com or my site http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/transmission_oil.htm

There are a few people here where a fluid/filter change has gotten rid of the shudder. If you run a synthetic or semi-synthetic fluid you shouldn't have any troubles.

I take no responsibility for giving you advice. Use at your own risk.

I'd think that a mechanic telling you not to change the fluid at ANY mileage rating is simply waiting to make a pile of money when you need a new tranny. Old fluid has had high temperature/shear damage and that's why it's so dark. It doesn't have the same lubrication properties as new stuff - dump it now.

Anytime I've ever bought a used vehicle I've changed ALL the fluids out right after I bring it home. Never had any troubles.

It's cheap insurance to change the fluid more often than not at all.

Good luck.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 04-12-2002 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still have the original fluid in mine it has just over 47,000 miles on it no shutter or any other problems yet I'm shooting for 50,000 before i change it.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:06 AM
Well, guys I am the officail lab rat on this one. The dealer perfromed a flusk on my tranny today. So far it still works, only time may tell. Actually to tell the truth I did find some proof that at some point before I bought the truck a trans service was done. It was perfomed along with several other things they did before placing this truck on the used car lot which at that time I think it probably had 65-86K on it. I am not for sure if a trans service was ever done before this point or not due to no records of it. All I know for sure is I had almost 50K on it. I know now I will never do this again and plan to change every year or about every 25K and thats if I have ot buy a new tranny soon or not. I'll let you all know what happens.

Old 04-16-2002, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the follow up KYFordFreak.
Let us know if something comes up in the future.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Okay, changed my fluid today at 100k miles. I found the plastic plug to let me know that it had never been changed before. The fluid was a bit brown and smelled burned. My only mistake was planning on dropping the back of the pan first (the front of the truck was jacked up). I found that the back of the pan will not drop more than about 1/4 inch due to the cross member and tranny mount.

Anyway it want fairly well with only some paste on the magnet (no shavings) and no build up on the bottom of the pan.

I used AAMCO Mercon V synthetic blend because it was all they had at the local parts store. They aslo didn't have a Fram filter so I took what they had.

The new fluid seemed to take care of the 30-45 shudder, but I still seem to have the 65-75 mph shudder. It also seems to shift a bit better.

Thanks to all who lended help on this site. I will keep you updated if there are any further problems.

Old 04-20-2002, 08:06 AM
medic

You likely got a Duetch filter. It's the exact filter that Ford uses just branded with the Ford name (that's who Ford gets them from). Even a Ford parts guy confirmed that and admitted they couldn't compete price wise over the counter. For what it's worth.

Old 04-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Well it's been 20 days so far and I usually drive at least 40 miles day. To put it simple my tranny is still working affter about 800-1000 miles, but how well is unsure. Sometmes it shifts great other times it seems to hold in each gear to long. I am still getting a surge/miss at 40 mph, 1100-1500 RPM light throttle, and at 70 mph, 2000 RPM. Whatever it is must be a mechanical problem as there are no lights flashing, and it must be on tough part to last this long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing fluid after 100k miles