abs light comes on, brakes shutter!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question abs light comes on, brakes shutter!!!!!

The other day I was heading to my friends house when I came to a light, I heard this clunk noise, then all of a sudden my brake peddle started to shutter, kinda like when abs kicks in on wet roads when you hit the brakes. This freaked me out, didn't know what it was. It went away but today, I noticed the abs light came on again, as soon as I saw the light, I had to come to a stop again, the brake peddle starts to shake violently, when this happens i kinda loose my stopping capabilities, you can't push down on the peddle. What is happening, this is another problem i have encountered ontop of the previouse 4 since I bought this truck used back in january. Can anyone help?

Old 03-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Cannot Help, But Anyway

My truck did the exact same thing a few months ago. It happened twice and the abs light came on. I reset my computer and never had it checked out. I posted the same thread a few months and got no helpful responses. It kind of makes me nervous to drive it at very high speeds. I need to get it checked out. Sorry I can't help out, but I will watch this post and see if anything turns out. By the way, I checked my pads and everything was good.

Old 03-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Same thing happens to my truck. It has been happening off and on for a couple of months. Did anyone figure out what is causing the problem?

Old 03-29-2002, 08:59 PM
i have had several responses, one person suggested that there might be air or water bubbles in the brake lines. He said to blead the brakes, then reset the computer, and it should work out ok.

Old 04-01-2002, 07:03 AM
This is usually caused by the abs sensor going bad. Mine did it off and on for a few days before I had it repaired.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:58 AM
how much did it cost yout to replace the abs sensor?

Old 04-05-2002, 04:14 PM
My 1995 does the same thing. I just shrug it off cause I dont want to pay to get the ABS fixed.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:43 AM
I took my truck in to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong with it! The ABS light does not come on when the pulsation occurs. I reset the computer the week before and it minimized the number of occurrances but did not eliminate the underlying problem. So far I'm out $100 for nothing... PS I have a 97f150sc with 36k miles on it (original owner).

Old 03-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Reviving this Thread

I just had the same thing happen to me today. And was hoping someone had a idea of the problem and fix for it.

Was on the way to my Brother-in-Laws and came to a stop sign, when I heard a "cluck" and the peddle did the ABS thing.

Then on the way home every time I used the breaks the peddle would do the ABS shimmy and shake. Really had to STAND on the peddle to get stopped.

Did that several times till the ABS light came on and then it stopped normal.

Turned off and Restarted the truck and no light and stops fine. But I imagine I'll see this again.

Doug

Old 03-04-2005, 08:50 PM
We took our truck in and they did not find anything wrong with it. They reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. After that it was fine for awhile but it happens right when you start off when the truck is cold sometimes... Gook Luck.

Quick Reply: abs light comes on, brakes shutter!!!!!