What is the trick to remove the lower radiator hose?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the trick to remove the lower radiator hose?

I'm trying to remove the radiator from a 99 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 DOHC. There is some type of metal band rather than a pinch clamp or hose clamp retaining it. There was some sticker from Ford with, I believe, instructions, but the truck is 10 yrs old and the words have worn off. I'm guessing some brilliant Ford engineer decided they could make a bit more money if they designed yet another special tool to remove what has always been a simple project.

So.... Is there some special tool required to remove this hose? Can anyone give me some tips on how I can manage to remove this without loosing my mind?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Paradisd
I'm trying to remove the radiator from a 99 Lincoln Navigator 5.4 DOHC. There is some type of metal band rather than a pinch clamp or hose clamp retaining it. There was some sticker from Ford with, I believe, instructions, but the truck is 10 yrs old and the words have worn off. I'm guessing some brilliant Ford engineer decided they could make a bit more money if they designed yet another special tool to remove what has always been a simple project.

So.... Is there some special tool required to remove this hose? Can anyone give me some tips on how I can manage to remove this without loosing my mind?

Thanks
you can buy the tool but all you need is a pair of pliers and pinch the tabs together.
but heres the tool if you want it. i think you can get it at sears. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pelland/mayhewtools08/

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-01-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
There are no tabs to pinch together on this connection? All of the other hoses have the tabs sticking up and I did pinch them together with pliers, slid them back and removed the hose. This connection has a solid band around the coupling. Here is a pic of the hose with the band around it:

Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 PM
if the hose has been on since 1999 i would cut it off and get a new one

Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never mind, that's something I've never seen.... But it says to "rotate hose.. Pull apart..." So, there you go!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
"TO REMOVE END"
"FOLD BACK TAB"
"ROTATE HOSE"
"PULL APART"

I havent seen that one either

Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I tried that but it didn't seem to work? Maybe I didn't rotate far enough. There's a limit to how far the hose will twist with the center cut coupling that goes to the oil filter cooler.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Cut it and finish removing the hose on the bench.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Normally, I would do just that, but at the moment, I am beyond broke. I'm hoping to have the heads off tomorrow night and check Monday to see if they are still good and can be used by simply replacing the gaskets and bolts. The hose is over $100 to replace. This will be the first engine repair where I don't simply pull it and go through the whole motor but right now, I can barely pay my mortgage and keep up with the bills of 3 boys. I need to skip the non essentials of this repair and only replace the parts necessary. At the moment, I've left the radiator in place and I'm working around it. I mostly wanted the extra leg room to work in there.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm surprised no one on here has seen this coupling before. Maybe it's a Lincoln thing and not a Ford thing?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea, I have seen that thing- I bought one two days ago! I put in the new rad and bottom hose (42.50 from Ford) And the lettering on that end was messed up, all I can read is 45 degrees- as in "rotate hose 45 degrees" Now it makes sense!! I simply pushed mine on and it held so I didn't bend the tab, but it IS lined up with the groove on the rad. My Ford garage had NO IDEA!!! Now I see that I simply have to bend the tab a bit to keep the hose from rotating 45 degrees, and YOU will have to bend the tab to loosen it from the slot on the rad and rotate the hose to release it. I would remove that tranny line first.The line and lower neck are way too close. I also removed the overflow/fill tank. Thank you so much for the pic!! I hope you make out as well as I did! Also, this is a dual application rad, so if your careful you CAN cut close to the end and re-install with a clamp. The instructions say to leave the o rings ON the neck to help seal the hose, even with a clamp.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm glad I came on here and looked this up. I was removing the radiator out of my wifes 99 today, until I came to this hose. I spent about 1 hour staring at it in confusion. Mine has no writing on it, so I had no ideas whatsoever. I would like to slap the Ford engineer that came up w/ this, with the hose, once I get it off.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM
removing lower radiator hose from a 98 lincoln navigator

Originally Posted by jetech00001
if the hose has been on since 1999 i would cut it off and get a new one
if the hose is still good save yourself 35 dollars get a flat head screwdriver and a little hammer and start taping away on the rubber band that they said to twist off not cutting through the hose. once you complete that task remove the band and the hose will come off easily. replace with a screw type hose clamp.then tap yourself on the back for saving the money or replacing that lower radiator hose. Nulfo68@yahoo out

Last edited by cinco1199; 07-10-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
REALLY !!!!!!??????

did you check the date on this thread before you replied

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the trick to remove the lower radiator hose?