1997 - 2003 F-150

Truck rocks back and forth when coming to a stop

Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck rocks back and forth when coming to a stop

Hi all. I recently bought a 2002 F-150 4x4 extended cab, 5.4L XLT Sport 6.5ft bed. It has 81K on it. One thing I noticed is that when I brake and come to a complete stop the truck has a bit of a rocking feeling right after it comes to a complete stop. I would equate it to the feeling of being in a bathtub and the water waves going back and forth from front to back of the tub if you slide your body across the tub. Should I presume the shocks are probably toast? Riding along the road it drives pretty smooth. Any tests I could try to confirm shocks are gone? I know putting your weight on each corner of the truck and rocking it and see if it settles after 1 or 2 rocks applies to older trucks. Does this test apply to ours as well? Any guidance is appreciated.

The previous owner said the front drivers side rotor might be a little warped from new brakes put on. He said you sometimes feel a pulse when braking but only at highway speeds. I have yet to take the truck up to highway speeds to experience this. I doubt this is related to my problem but want to provide full disclosure.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the jump on the bumper and see if it stops still exists

1 bounce is really all it should take or a very very small second movement not even a bounce I would call it.

Have you tried doing that test yet?

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
No, not really. I will tonight when I get home. However I did try bouncing up and down in the drivers seat last night and it seems to bounce around a bit. Certainly more than I would expect. I'm only around 170lbs too.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha I'm 225 wonder what it would do with me

I'd say some new shocks are in your future

Old 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have OE shocks, for sure they have been shot for quite a while. That is what would cause the rocking motion. Unfortunately due to the stiff springs etc on these trucks the bounce test of pushing the bumper up and down does not work, but just the fact that you are getting that rocking motion tells me the shocks are gone.

As far as the brake rotor is concerned, make sure that the lug nuts are torqued to the proper number, 150 ft lbs. Uneven torque on the lug nuts is the main reason for the rotor to warp.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys. Just bought a set of Bilstein's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck rocks back and forth when coming to a stop