2004 - 2008 F-150

Missing in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing in cold weather

Is anyone have this issue? Couple weeks ago we had a cold front come through and I ended up getting a misfire in #4. Replaced Plug and coil, seemed fine. Drove short distances and back and forth to work. Had another front come through couple days ago but did not drive the truck until today. Cold and raining and about 20 miles to work it starts to miss again. At idle you can feel it. COPs only 12k on the as well as the plugs.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drshovelhead
Is anyone have this issue? Couple weeks ago we had a cold front come through and I ended up getting a misfire in #4. Replaced Plug and coil, seemed fine. Drove short distances and back and forth to work. Had another front come through couple days ago but did not drive the truck until today. Cold and raining and about 20 miles to work it starts to miss again. At idle you can feel it. COPs only 12k on the as well as the plugs.
Hi.

Same cylinder?

Using new boots?

Proper application of dielectric grease?

Bad set of COP's ( or OEM's starting to fail as they age )?

Humidity is hell on these systems if not properly sealed.

Above is just low-hanging fruit....

Good luck
MGD

Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Not sure if it is the same cylinder..
Used new boots when changed the COP with dielectric grease...according to this forum
COP only have 12k on them.

Is there a way to tell if you have a bad COP? I have read that you move them around and track the misfire to the cylinder, but if it is not throwing a code, how do you know.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drshovelhead
Not sure if it is the same cylinder..
Used new boots when changed the COP with dielectric grease...according to this forum
COP only have 12k on them.

Is there a way to tell if you have a bad COP? I have read that you move them around and track the misfire to the cylinder, but if it is not throwing a code, how do you know.
Pending codes are usually stored - it's only when a threshold is reached that a CEL is set. You need an advanced scanner that can access pending codes.

Moving COPs is the usual method, once a reliable indicator is present ( either hard failure or a device capable of retrieving stored pending codes ).

End-user diagnosis of a COP itself is limited to resistance measurements, but that is inconclusive, as they usually fail under load.

Sadly - some folks have had to resort to shotgunning all eight with a new set of MC's or Visteons.

Good luck
MGD

Old 11-29-2013, 02:02 PM
I was finally able to get a code. P0354 Ignition coil D primary or secondary circuit malfunction. Is this the coil itself? I am assuming that it is #4.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM
UPDATE: I just pulled the coil off and checked the pins. They are straight. I made sure that the connection snapped together. Put it all back together, and still the same code.Checked the heater hose and can't see any leaks. Is there a way to check for a bad wire at the connection?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:23 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Swap #4 coil with one of the others. #4 is the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 PM
I will try that in the morning. That coil is a brand new coil that I got from Autozone about 2 weeks ago. There is a possibility that I got a bad one. As far as the connection (female end) Is there a way to test the power to it. Multimeter? If there is a break in the wire, where could I find the part # to order a harness?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok I swapped the coil to #1 and ran the truck. I still have a miss but I cannot get it to throw a pending code. Last time, to get the code, I held down the brake and held down the gas in gear. You could feel the shudder, so I held it for about 30 sec. This time I cant get the code. I also broke a clip off the #3 coil connection. Has anyone replaced one? Wife keeps telling me to head to the dealership and just buy a new truck. I will be damned if I am giving up this easy.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 PM
glc
You can zip tie the connector onto the coil.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Finally able to get pending code. p0354 again. Already moved the coil to number 1, so I am assuming that it has to be the connection. Is there a way to test the connector? With the key on, without the engine running, is there power running to the coil? Is there a way to test the conductivity of the wire?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:32 AM
glc
It might be the fuel injector.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Wow GLC, Do you not sleep? By the way I really do appreciated all of the help. I actually thought about the injector last night so I put a stethascope to it last night. It seemed very steady and did not seem to be on the same cycle as the misfire.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Replaced the connection and after the engine warmed up.......the miss is back. Could a injector cause that code?(P0354). How would a bad injector cause a coil code to come up and not generic misfire code or P204.

Quick Reply: Missing in cold weather