2002 4.2L V6 Intake Gasket Replaced

Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 4.2L V6 Intake Gasket Replaced

First and foremost, permit me this opportunity to thank the regulars on this forum for posting excellent information regarding the F150. The information on this forum has been invaluable!

I recently acquired a 2002 F150 SCab with, you guessed it, the 4.2L V6 engine. Having read, in this forum, about the difficulties concerning the intake gasket, I must admit I had an 'uneasy' feeling about what I'd gotten into.

As fate would have it, my 'Service Engine Soon' light came on, and of course my brain went on OVERLOAD as to the reason behind this light coming on. Well, to make a long story, somewhat short, here's a direct qoute from my receipt I got today (02 Jan 05):

"Check Engine Light Tech: 272"
"Customer states check engine light on"
"EEC Pinpoint Pid Monitor Fuel Press Tests,"
'Replaced Port Seals, Isolator Bolts and Plenum Seals"
"Readapted strategy retested"

Part - 1ea - 1L3Z-9461-AA Gasket $16.51/ea
Part - 6ea - 1L3Z-9H86-AA Gasket $ 9.55/ea
Part - 8ea - 3F2Z-9S479-AA Isolato $ 7.55/ea

I have NO earthly idea what any of this means, other than I was told the "Lower intake gasket" had an issue. Perhaps someone on the forum would be so kind as to explain what these parts are all about.

I made note that my engine was built on 07/15/01, and from reading the forum, I thought the intake gasket issue had been resolved by this date (sigh).

Word to the wise, if you even remotely suspect you have an intake gasket problem - NO MATTER WHAT YEAR YOUR ENGINE WAS BUILT - look into it; you'll be happy you did.

Thanks all .....!

Edit and P.S.: Forgot to mention, there was a green F150 in the service bay next to my truck - I believe it was a 2003... the service technician told me it was there for the SAME reason .... amazing!

Last edited by Jean Paul's F15; 01-02-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 AM
What Are You Doing When You Blow The Gaskets!?? I Punish My Truck Bad!! And Nothing Yet. Its' A 98

Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 PM
the lower seals have a tendency of leaking, happened to mine and I'm in the process of fixing it, the leak causes a loss of vacuum, which messes with your trucks fuel air ratio, it is giving me a lean code currently. I don't know any more specifics than that but I've looked through here as well after my light popped on and found that much.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean Paul's F15
First and foremost, permit me this opportunity to thank the regulars on this forum for posting excellent information regarding the F150. The information on this forum has been invaluable!

I recently acquired a 2002 F150 SCab with, you guessed it, the 4.2L V6 engine. Having read, in this forum, about the difficulties concerning the intake gasket, I must admit I had an 'uneasy' feeling about what I'd gotten into.

As fate would have it, my 'Service Engine Soon' light came on, and of course my brain went on OVERLOAD as to the reason behind this light coming on. Well, to make a long story, somewhat short, here's a direct qoute from my receipt I got today (02 Jan 05):

"Check Engine Light Tech: 272"
"Customer states check engine light on"
"EEC Pinpoint Pid Monitor Fuel Press Tests,"
'Replaced Port Seals, Isolator Bolts and Plenum Seals"
"Readapted strategy retested"

Part - 1ea - 1L3Z-9461-AA Gasket $16.51/ea
Part - 6ea - 1L3Z-9H86-AA Gasket $ 9.55/ea
Part - 8ea - 3F2Z-9S479-AA Isolato $ 7.55/ea

I have NO earthly idea what any of this means, other than I was told the "Lower intake gasket" had an issue. Perhaps someone on the forum would be so kind as to explain what these parts are all about.

I made note that my engine was built on 07/15/01, and from reading the forum, I thought the intake gasket issue had been resolved by this date (sigh).

Word to the wise, if you even remotely suspect you have an intake gasket problem - NO MATTER WHAT YEAR YOUR ENGINE WAS BUILT - look into it; you'll be happy you did.

Thanks all .....!

Edit and P.S.: Forgot to mention, there was a green F150 in the service bay next to my truck - I believe it was a 2003... the service technician told me it was there for the SAME reason .... amazing!
You have the composite plenum, it sounds like.

The first part looks like the big o ring at the top of the plenum.
Next is the 6 gaskets fir the intake ports.
The last is the parts that were bad. They are a special bolt with a rubber sleeve on them. The rubber gets hard and allows air to leak into the intake and jacks up your air-fuel ratio.

All those parts are needed to do what you had done.

I did mine and have put about 100k miles since with no issues.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Yo - look at the post dates........

Old 09-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006, a long time ago, how did this happen? From time to time be it ford or chevy the intake leaks.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Boy, did I get suckered into that one or what!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Suspended
Thanks for the new data Jgger ! Long live the thread. Lol.

Last edited by papa tiger; 09-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
sorry guys, didn't read date, I've been searching all over, google always brings me back here. The upper intake was fine, i checked all seals, even the spacers and they appear to be fine, I did find a large hole in my muffler and it's been rattling, so i think my next endever is changing that out to see if the lean code goes away, perhaps it is just a back-draft problem due to lack of pressure from that leaking. Otherwise I'll have to drain out the coolant and just do all the seals in the intake,the ones you mentioned down to the spacer to see if there is any change.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Suspended
Muffler is a great idea and then frpm there.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by ChristianR
sorry guys, didn't read date, I've been searching all over, google always brings me back here. The upper intake was fine, i checked all seals, even the spacers and they appear to be fine, I did find a large hole in my muffler and it's been rattling, so i think my next endever is changing that out to see if the lean code goes away, perhaps it is just a back-draft problem due to lack of pressure from that leaking. Otherwise I'll have to drain out the coolant and just do all the seals in the intake,the ones you mentioned down to the spacer to see if there is any change.
Hey thanks for bringing it back! I'm dealing with the same issue right now.
I got a new lower intake, thermostat and water pump and now have the service engine light on. I'm taking it back to the shop that did the work this weekend.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Suspended
Check ur code 4 o2 problem.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by papa tiger
Check ur code 4 o2 problem.
Had the codes ran. It was a P0402. Ended up being a bad EGR pressure sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 4.2L V6 Intake Gasket Replaced