Aftermarket Intakes with DiabloSport Predator?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Intakes with DiabloSport Predator?

So this is confusing me a bit. The predator only has canned tunes set for the roush, airaid, k&n and one other company. Does this mean I can only run these intakes with this programmer? WHat if I wanted an AFE or AEM or something.. can I just run one of these tunes with that intke or does it have to be a custom tune? don't want to lean out the truck..

I hear so many people just running an intake and no word at all that they are running a tune with it, not sure how they can get away with that.

Also wondering.. I have the 87 octane tune installed right now. If I did say buy a k&n and do the 87 k&n tune, is that tune basically just a 87 octane performance tube but just calibrated to take the lean away with that intake?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Save your money and do a Gotts mod to the stock intake. It's just as good as an aftermarket intake and doesn't require a custom tune.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 08blackxlt
So this is confusing me a bit. The predator only has canned tunes set for the roush, airaid, k&n and one other company. Does this mean I can only run these intakes with this programmer? WHat if I wanted an AFE or AEM or something.. can I just run one of these tunes with that intke or does it have to be a custom tune? don't want to lean out the truck..

I hear so many people just running an intake and no word at all that they are running a tune with it, not sure how they can get away with that.

Also wondering.. I have the 87 octane tune installed right now. If I did say buy a k&n and do the 87 k&n tune, is that tune basically just a 87 octane performance tube but just calibrated to take the lean away with that intake?
Yes, those tunes are designed specifically for those intakes. If you choose to use another one, you can get a custom tune from any CMR tuner for that CAI. IMO, the Airaid is a really nice piece

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^ agreed....gotts dwv mod is the biggest bang for the buck

Those that diablo has listed were researched and canned tunes were developed for them....

the only way one of the others that isn't listed can be used is if you verify that the tube is the same shape and diameter and that the maf is in the exact location also...or get a custom tune for that one that you want...

people that don't run a tune with a Cai are just asking for issues down the road....

Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM
awesome thanks for the quick replies guys

Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM
oh and I already had done the gotts mod and didn't notice much of a difference. that's why I was curious about combining an intake with a tune for the best performance. thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 04:19 PM

I don't see how running the canned tune for another intake would harm anything. All CAIs are like 90% the same, and the slight differences can't amount to much. I would venture to guess that the Diablo has those tunes for those brands as a joint business deal to make the owner more inclined to buy one of those 3 intake brands. Also, each company makes different intakes. Not all "K&N" intakes are the same. I highly doubt email tunes account for every single different CAI brand when you get them.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-13-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I don't see how running the canned tune for another intake would harm anything. All CAIs are like 90% the same, and the slight differences can't amount to much. I would venture to guess that the Diablo has those tunes for those brands as a joint business deal to make the owner more inclined to buy one of those 3 intake brands. Also, each company makes different intakes. Not all "K&N" intakes are the same. I highly doubt email tunes account for every single different CAI brand when you get them.
Did you read what DiabloMike said? He stated there is a difference. One of the biggest differences is where they locate the MAF.

Additionaly, the biggest difference between the Gotts mod and one of the aftermarket intakes is the noise they make. They eliminate the silencers so that it sounds as if you are making more power. You really do not get much benefit unless you have a tune written for that intake.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 PM

depends whose doing the email tunes....imo

Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Did you read what DiabloMike said? He stated there is a difference.
And he works for Diablo, who worked in conjunction with those companies to promote the purchasing of intakes from those companies. I don't doubt, at all, that there are differences. The MAF location is a good point, but I do doubt that one intake with the MAF in location "A" is any (real) different than another intake with the MAF also in location "A." It is best to have a tune written specifically for whatever intake, but a 5% difference doesn't justify an entirely different tune. Especially when all of this with canned tunes. My point is in practical differences, not relatively small ones.

A custom tune is better in all ways anyway though.

I think we would all love to think that the email tuners have had an F150 on their dyno with EVERY different variant of intake from every different company. But considering that there's got to be multiple dozens, does it seem practical to have that be true? I can't see a tuner acquiring dozens of intake JUST for a 2008 5.4 F150, only to have to do it all over again with the 4.6 and 4.2.

I could be entirely incorrect in everything I have said, as I am not a tuner, but ponder what I am saying. I'm not trying to be abrasive, just sharing thoughts

Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
And he works for Diablo, who worked in conjunction with those companies to promote the purchasing of intakes from those companies. I don't doubt, at all, that there are differences. The MAF location is a good point, but I do doubt that one intake with the MAF in location "A" is any (real) different than another intake with the MAF also in location "A." It is best to have a tune written specifically for whatever intake, but a 5% difference doesn't justify an entirely different tune. Especially when all of this with canned tunes. My point is in practical differences, not relatively small ones.

A custom tune is better in all ways anyway though.

I think we would all love to think that the email tuners have had an F150 on their dyno with EVERY different variant of intake from every different company. But considering that there's got to be multiple dozens, does it seem practical to have that be true? I can't see a tuner acquiring dozens of intake JUST for a 2008 5.4 F150, only to have to do it all over again with the 4.6 and 4.2.

I could be entirely incorrect in everything I have said, as I am not a tuner, but ponder what I am saying. I'm not trying to be abrasive, just sharing thoughts
You need to specific tune for a specific intake to keep from running lean. If the MAF is relocated to a bigger tube, then more air can get by unmeasured. You need the tune to compensate. Diablo does not work with intake companies, they simply wrote tunes for various intakes on the market.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:41 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The 5.4 3 valve in particular has a history of running lean with aftermarket intakes due to the specific type MAF used. It is very sensitive to location.

To the OP - I doubt you will notice much, if any, difference between a Gotts mod and an aftermarket intake other than noise, tune or no tune. You need a lot more mods other than just an exhaust and a tune in order for an aftermarket intake to really be beneficial. In fact, an aftermarket intake can actually hurt you if it draws hot underhood air instead of cooler fenderwell air and/or it has an oiled air filter element.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor
I can assure you we have no vested interest in what CAI's we have tunes available for. When development time rolls along, we contact the popular CAI manufacturers, and let them know that if they can provide us with a kit for testing, that we'll make tunes for it and put it in the tools. its a win-win for them, as they know they can't sell the intake without a tune, and if the customer has to hunt down a custom tune just to get the CAI bolted on, they lose business.

The list of supported CAI's for 05-09 GT is entirely different than those supported by 04-08 F150, due to who did and did not respond to our offer to develop these tunes for them at the time.

Also, the size/shape of the MAF housing is only a part of the whole enchilada, as the shape leading into and out of the MAF housing has a tremendous effect on low rpm airflow and not dialing in the MAF output curve 100% will lead to drivability issues.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:51 PM

^^^agreed...

Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
You need to specific tune for a specific intake to keep from running lean. If the MAF is relocated to a bigger tube, then more air can get by unmeasured. You need the tune to compensate. Diablo does not work with intake companies, they simply wrote tunes for various intakes on the market.
I know a tune is needed and why it is needed. What I'm trying to convey is that the tune written for an aftermarket intake with the MAF relocated to a location is not going to differ greatly from a tune written for another aftermarket intake with the MAF relocated to the same location. If one intake tube is half an inch longer or has a diameter .05" different than the other, the tune can't be much different, if it's even different at all. The tune IS different from that of a stock intake or one type of CAI, but the tunes for 2 intakes that are nearly identical in every way can't be much different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intakes with DiabloSport Predator?