Window is making a relay clicking sound....

Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window is making a relay clicking sound....

Dear F-150 Gods,

00 F150 S-Crew 5.4. My driver side window stopped working all of a sudden. It now makes a clicking noise like a relay is kicking on and off. When it kicks on, my RPMs drop a little. Do you guys and gals think it is the motor? Any info is appreciated. I could not find any threads on this.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Hold the switch in the down position and slam the door. If the window starts working, replace the lift motor. It sounds to me like your motor has crapped out on you. I'd skip the chain stores and go to the dealer for this one. Mine is an 01 and my motor ran me about 75 bucks. They are easy to change. Just do a search for "window motor" and that should get you all the info you need. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This sounds like the same symptoms that Dad's '01 had.

Here is the thread on the topic, if you want to remove the motor, and hit it against the rear tire.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=power+window

Shows where to drill out the door, to get to the bolts holding the motor in the door.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Thank you all who answered! Im very greatful. That's exactly what my motor is doing. I guess I'll follow the procedure listed.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:20 PM
great info

Thanks for the info. This was happening to my f150 as well. Procedure works like a charm.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
lay is making relay clicking sound

Originally Posted by smokedchevy
Dear F-150 Gods,

00 F150 S-Crew 5.4. My driver side window stopped working all of a sudden. It now makes a clicking noise like a relay is kicking on and off. When it kicks on, my RPMs drop a little. Do you guys and gals think it is the motor? Any info is appreciated. I could not find any threads on this.

Thanks,
Ed
I have very same problem with 97 f150 and have changed relay which is clicking to no avail. Have you gotten the answer to this problem?

Ron

Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rons2000
I have very same problem with 97 f150 and have changed relay which is clicking to no avail. Have you gotten the answer to this problem?

Ron
Did you read any of the posts ? Post #3, I refer to a thread with the procedure that compaq7400 used.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer
Hold the switch in the down position and slam the door. If the window starts working, replace the lift motor. It sounds to me like your motor has crapped out on you. I'd skip the chain stores and go to the dealer for this one. Mine is an 01 and my motor ran me about 75 bucks. They are easy to change. Just do a search for "window motor" and that should get you all the info you need. Good luck.

damn, my motor cost 128 plus tax for a '00

and also where is the relay located in case i need to replace one?

Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Had the same problem on my '98 F150 4x4 - driver side power window would not go down, heard (and felt) clicking on Relay 4 (in the fuse box). Changed the relay, nothing.

After reading many posts on this subject on this forum, I removed the door panel and removed the speaker to access the drive motor. According to one post, a guy removed the drive motor, wacked it on his tire a couple of time, put it back in, and it worked. Well, there's enough room in the door to give the drive motor a fair wack with a box end wrench. So, while holding the window button in the 'down' position, I gave the drive motor a few good wacks with the wrench - bada bing, the window started working . I really couldn't believe it - hitting something to make it work. Before putting the door panel back on, I ran the window up and down about 20 times. Put the door panel back on, window is still working.

I'm convinced the window will stop working again at some point (I hope I'm wrong), but it's working for now...

Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM
This thread helped me get my window back up! I think it still needs replaced but at least I won't get rained on. Thanks guys!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by bigdo1
Had the same problem on my '98 F150 4x4 - driver side power window would not go down, heard (and felt) clicking on Relay 4 (in the fuse box). Changed the relay, nothing.

After reading many posts on this subject on this forum, I removed the door panel and removed the speaker to access the drive motor. According to one post, a guy removed the drive motor, wacked it on his tire a couple of time, put it back in, and it worked. Well, there's enough room in the door to give the drive motor a fair wack with a box end wrench. So, while holding the window button in the 'down' position, I gave the drive motor a few good wacks with the wrench - bada bing, the window started working . I really couldn't believe it - hitting something to make it work. Before putting the door panel back on, I ran the window up and down about 20 times. Put the door panel back on, window is still working.

I'm convinced the window will stop working again at some point (I hope I'm wrong), but it's working for now...
Genius. One whack with the wrench (really just a light tap while holding down the switch) and the motor began working again. I am glad I searched out this issue on Google. Thanks

Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Driver side window wouldn't go up hit the switch and all I got was clicking in the fuse compartment. Slamed the door a few times and window goes up!! Glad I didn't give up and read this we are bout to get hit with storms!! Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window is making a relay clicking sound....