Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck bed size chart

Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck bed size chart

This is a link to a site that lists the dimensions for the different bed sizes available on trucks sold in America.
http://www.kanopykingdom.com/truck_bed_size_charts.htm
So consider yourselves warned, used camper shell buyers. All long bed caps are not the same size.
If anyone has a more complete list, please share it.

I have found this useful because I went to buy a camper shell with a friend for his long bed truck, picked it up and set it on the truck only to find it doesn't fit. It turned out to be a long trip wasted. Then I found this chart.
The specific problem in this instance was that the Snugtop cap came off a 1988 Chevy and we tried to fit it onto a 1992 Ford. Length was fine, but the Chevy bed tapers narrower toward the rear and the Ford bed is the same width all the way back. The cap also had a 90 degree lip for the inside of the bed rail. It was a nice cap, especially for $100; but it was just too narrow at the back and the stake pockets were exposed.

And for what it's worth, if you are listing a cap for sale on Craigslist or anywhere else, your potential customers need to know what size bed it fits.
Bed length? What kind of truck was it on previously? Do the gas struts hold up the back hatch? Are all the windows intact? These are the questions you will waste time answering if you don't include it in your original ad.
And just including those 4 tiny pictures on Craigslist does not answer any of these questions. A tall roof long bed cap can look like it might fit a cab-high short bed in those pictures. And it's usually impossible to tell if the windows are intact.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 AM
Nice chart. Too bad it only goes up to 2005 though.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the link.

* 1997-2003 take note!

[Cab Degree]
Regular cab = 10
Super cab = 6
Which means a regular cab has more RAKE.
So, even if the bed length is the same.....

Super Cab shell on Regular Cab = YES (with extra gap at top)
Regular Cab shell on Super Cab = NO (rub paint and third brake light)

Also,
I believe the chart is incorrect for the '97-'03 long bed.
It lists cab degree as '6', pretty sure the short & longbed regular cabs are identical (cab degree = 10).
Not that important because a longbed supercab is rare and that's where the issue would come into play.

Last edited by Raoul; 07-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by digitalamish
Nice chart. Too bad it only goes up to 2005 though.
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
If anyone has a more complete list, please share it.
It isn't perfect, but it's a start. Usually people that can afford a late model truck can also afford a new cap and aren't the ones shopping for a used one off another truck.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 PM
bed sizes for caps & tonneaus

I had a terrible time trying to see what used caps for sale might fit my 2013 5.5 box.
This site sells tonneau covers and lists them out by trucks they fit:
http://www.undercoverfactoryoutlet.c...cover-Classic/

Also here is a another site listing bed dimensions by model & year:
http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-b...nts-guide.html

hope this might help

Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
And for what it's worth, if you are listing a cap for sale on Craigslist or anywhere else, your potential customers need to know what size bed it fits.
Bed length? What kind of truck was it on previously? Do the gas struts hold up the back hatch? Are all the windows intact? These are the questions you will waste time answering if you don't include it in your original ad.
Amen to that, and can I get a " Do the locks work and do you have keys ? " added to that. Seriously, I've been looking for a while and almost every time I respond to an ad of "Great shape!" or some such the locks don't work. One ad even said the locks were working, but when I asked about keys, "umm, no, keys went to the wreckers with the truck" Sorry, in my book "working" means a different thing from that person's definition.

However, in my research I've since found that the locks on these caps are generally cheap and apparently almost any key of about the right size will "work" so that's not a biggie.

And never trust the pictures, shocking (not) how many are carefully staged to hide serious issues.

Originally Posted by Raoul

1997-2003 take note!

[Cab Degree]
Regular cab = 10
Super cab = 6
Which means a regular cab has more RAKE.
So, even if the bed length is the same.....

Super Cab shell on Regular Cab = YES (with extra gap at top)
Regular Cab shell on Super Cab = NO (rub paint and third brake light)

Also,
I believe the chart is incorrect for the '97-'03 long bed.
It lists cab degree as '6', pretty sure the short & longbed regular cabs are identical (cab degree = 10).
Not that important because a longbed supercab is rare and that's where the issue would come into play.
Oh great, that might explain a recent misfit I had been considering cab degree but didn't know that.

Lucky me, I have one of those rare longbed supercabs

It's not bad enough that they made so darn few because of the rarity of the combo

...no, not really giving up, the search continues. Ever the optimist I even hope I might find the right color not in need of repainting.

Thanks for the help all

Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is an example of 'rake' on the 97-03 model.

A Supercab top on a Regular cab bed...

If the two angles were reversed (reg top on Supercab), there would be significant rubbing.

I call it the thousand dollar gap because I found a $1200 top for $200.

Finding a longbed Supercab topper will be tough.
I'd suggest looking at pics on the car for sale sites after narrowing down the truck specs. Many ads don't even mention the truck caps and the seller may separate.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 PM
I was just searching for measurements like that for a truck cap. Thanks!!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul

Finding a longbed Supercab topper will be tough.
I'd suggest looking at pics on the car for sale sites after narrowing down the truck specs. Many ads don't even mention the truck caps and the seller may separate.
Yep, it's not been easy. So many so close but not there yet. Like today, almost perfect. Super clean condition (looks brand new), the right color, not too far away (5 hour round trip) for the price (a steal) and I think it looks like a cab height 8 footer of the right years (still waiting for a call back on details though, yep another ad with incomplete info)...

... but dang it, that looks like a regular cab angle

Name:  topper_zpsaa5236f7.png
Views: 26433
Size:  436.6 KB

Any opinions on how "bad" a rub issue the difference is likely to be ? I'm wondering if I might get away with just shaving the topper where it meets and doing a little patch repair ? Not going to be seen there anyway. I'm getting tired of finding so many "close" fits. I'm even thinking of just building my own.

Or like last month when I found a guy selling (practically giving away) both a 6 foot and one of those pup-caps (about 2 foot long) and considered Frankensteining them into a single 8 foot. Too far away though.

And I hear you on the looking at trucks and asking, good advice and I have been doing it. Lots of agreeable sellers but no luck yet on the fit.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Doing a little quick and dirty cut and paste of the angles involved it looks like a regular cab topper " might " fit a supercab truck if the cab light assembly was removed. It wouldn't be missed while the topper was on and I could probably fabricate a cover plug for it to keep the weather out. I'm not sure if there is structure behind it that projects out though. Might have to go out and take it off to see when I get a chance. Unless someone recalls what's behind there.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
OK, that's not going to work, at least not easily. There seems to be a lip on the exterior trim piece that locks under the window, so the window has to come out to remove the trim piece and the protruding third brake light that is part of it. And without taking it off there's no way the angle works.

Plan B ? Not sure at this point. And still no contact with the seller to determine the other variables. When I found that ad yesterday I was sure it said it was a new ad (posted hours earlier) but now it says it's almost a month old so maybe it sold long ago and the poster has moved on.

The odd thing is I've been looking almost daily for several months and don't recall seeing that particular ad before so it's hard to believe it was there for a month and I only saw it yesterday with the exact same search parameters.

I suppose the plan at the moment is to keep looking, or just start building...

...but I just know as soon as I spend a chunk of time and money building one or settle on something " close enough " I'm going to see the exact one I want being given away down the street

Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM
so the kanopy kingdom chart no longer exist. is there another one out there?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Here's an archived version of the charts:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120830...ize_charts.htm

Maybe someone wants to download it and re-host it somewhere?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:41 PM
This link is also useful:
http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-b...nts-guide.html

They provide inside-to-inside dimensions, rather than the outside-to-outside dimensions in the kanopy kingdom table.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truck bed size chart