2009 - 2014 F-150

Regular cab step

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular cab step

I have a '13 regular cab XLT. It didn't come with side steps but I'm sure I will need something. I don't need full length running boards or nerf bars, just a small simple step will work. What are the choices here?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've added the Ford tube steps to both my former 2005 and current 2010 regular cab trucks. Although you may not need the length, they have an additional benefit of stopping a good number of rocks and slush from hitting the rockers.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
They also help to prevent door dings from other cars. I also think they look far better than the little steps. Those just look funny hanging down.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
The factory, or factory looking tubular steps work well. My 4X4 is just tall enough where it's easier to use the step to get in. I think that they would work well for what you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
do you have craigslist up there in the north? Maybe its called canuckslist?

You can generally find good deals on the various OEM running board options on craigslist... I upgraded mine to FX4 boards and sold my XLT boards - all in one week on Craigslist. I even made 40 bucks on the deal!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks. Kijiji is the Craigslist of the north. I am unsure if the supercab tube steps will fit a regular cab. I need to figure that out before I go shopping. There's nothing like finding a great deal on something that won't fit.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Supercab steps will not fit a regular cab. The positions for the mounting brackets are different. Also they would be too long.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks. I appreciate that.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
fit depends on what you want

The FX4 (and FX2 I think) running boards are made from extruded aluminum channel. So you can slide the mount brackets back and forth on the running board to make them fit any mount hole width on the truck.

I think it might be nice to have SuperCab running boards on the regular cab... they would also serve as a step to get items from the bed.
But only if you want it to look that way.

Just an FYI!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04

The FX4 (and FX2 I think) running boards are made from extruded aluminum channel. So you can slide the mount brackets back and forth on the running board to make them fit any mount hole width on the truck.

I think it might be nice to have SuperCab running boards on the regular cab... they would also serve as a step to get items from the bed.

Just an FYI!
Interedasting!!! I will keep this in mind while I'm searching. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04

Just an FYI!
Sorry, but not true. My FX4 steps (you can see pics in album) cannot be adjusted. The mounting points are fixed. One mount would be normal, the other would be behind his cab.

To the OP, make sure what you purchase can be adjusted. Also, the part behind the cab would be unsupported. Good possibility the step may bend or break. I also think it would look kinda funny, with supports toward the front and nothing at the back just hanging there. Also note that it does not mount to the frame, so you could not move the mount back. It does mount to points on the body.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Cool. Thanks. I'm still taking notes on the subject.

If I didn't lease this truck, I would just lower it 3 or 4 inches and I wouldn't need steps at all. As it is, I just need an inexpensive way to get in and out without killing myself for the next few years. I didn't really notice on the test drive but it really is awkward getting in and out of this without a step in daily use.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Just so you know, with the Ford steps, there would be no drilling to do the mounting of them. On the back side of the rocker, you will find some large holes that are taped ove. This is where the step supports mount. A plate with bolts is pushed into these holes and the step mount support is bolted to them. This sandwiches the rocker sheet metal between the plate and support. It is a very sturdy mount and can be removed.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Sorry, but not true. My FX4 steps (you can see pics in album) cannot be adjusted. The mounting points are fixed. One mount would be normal, the other would be behind his cab.

To the OP, make sure what you purchase can be adjusted. Also, the part behind the cab would be unsupported. Good possibility the step may bend or break. I also think it would look kinda funny, with supports toward the front and nothing at the back just hanging there. Also note that it does not mount to the frame, so you could not move the mount back. It does mount to points on the body.
maybe your 2009 aren't. Based on the pictures, it looks like in 2009 they just used the regular chrome step.

I know for sure the 2012 can be adjusted. I recently swapped mine from the XLT chrome step to some 2012 FX4 steps. They are most definitely made from extruded aluminum channel.

But for sure he should look at what he finds... always deal in person on craigslist...

Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 AM
I may be willing to sell you mine. MInes a regular cab. PM me if you're interested

Quick Reply: Regular cab step