2004 - 2008 F-150

Cam Phasers going bad how long before new ?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phasers going bad how long before new ?

My 05 5.43v has 162000 miles on it cam phasers make noise not real bad just wondering how long does it take before u want to change them out, & what ones to buy, & what else needs replacing when its apart, as I plan on doing it myself how much money in parts am I looking at ? Thanks..

Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go with the Ford ones there is a new model # out we just had the ones done on my dads 05 at 150k. the dealer charged 2k to do everything.

I would change out the guides tensioners and chains while you are in there too. the guides on my dads 05 were falling apart a dropping pieces into the oil pan

Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Depends on how far you want to go. I'll be doing mine here in a few weeks. and like you i'm Higher mileage. When the phasers go bad, they add much extra wear to the timing components, so timing chain and tensors. pieces of metal from the bad phasors tend to get stuck in the solenoids. with the high mileage, I'm also doing lifters. With Spark plugs because i'm due, I'm looking at 1450ish in parts so far. I can go farther into this with part numbers and whatnot if interested.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Dorman has come out with replacement phasers recently, I have been watching for a review, but haven't seen one yet. Dorman, as a rule, usually has a pretty good reputation. Probably with that many miles I would tend to want to do the whole job, chains, tensioners, guides ect

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
i've got an 04 f150 screw pushing 100k. i've been thinking about doing cam phasers, timing chains and guides. my question to you guys is should i replace the timing chain tensioners as well?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 AM
From what I have read on here, you shouldn't need the chains and tensioners with that low mileage unless there is evidence of broken guides or tensioners. Haven't had the pleasure of doing them myself, hopefully someone will chime in with more experience with these issues for you.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1947
Dorman has come out with replacement phasers recently, I have been watching for a review, but haven't seen one yet. Dorman, as a rule, usually has a pretty good reputation. Probably with that many miles I would tend to want to do the whole job, chains, tensioners, guides ect
My 100K '04 FX4 just had Dorman phasers installed. I've got about 3000 miles on them with no issues. I will never recommend doing just phasers. A number of things go wrong on the cam timing system, and the seals between the block and tensionsers fail causing low oil pressure is pretty common. If it's making noise, the guides are getting beat up. The chains are reusable. A had about $400 in parts to fix my truck: Ford guides, tensioners, seals besides the Dorman phasers. I was stuck working 70-90 hrs/wk, so I had a Ford dealer mechanic do it on the side for $800. It's really quiet now, and it was worth the money to me to not to have to worry about it jumping time.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Bought With Bad Phasers

Two years ago, I got a heck of a deal on my truck because I bought it with bad phasers. It made a lot of noise at start-up and then it would quiet down. It only had 48,160 miles on it and I took it to the Ford dealership and had the work done. $2600 later they replaced the phasers, tensioners, chains, gears, oil pick-up tube, seals and gaskets. The tensioners had fallen apart and plugged the oil pick-up tube. I'm up to 61K miles on the truck now and it still runs good. According to the mechanic, if I had'nt replaced the phasers when I did, the engine would have self destructed. So, if yours is making noise, you should plan on replacing all of the above or suffer the consequences. Also, I recommend using nothing but a Motorcraft oil filter because they are the only ones with the patented design check valve which holds oil up around the phasers during start-up. The phasers are so fragile that they will be damaged with other brand oil filters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam Phasers going bad how long before new ?