Need help - Wipers not working

Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help - Wipers not working

Hi guys hope you have a minute.
Currently isolated at the house (sort of) with my windshield wipers not working on the F-150and the storm is hitting New England right about now.

I have a problem. Windshield wipers don't work. Why? When I had a friend install an older pioneer deck he had to do something to the AUX and electrical wiring to make it work. It seems like he took some type of power cable and electrical taped it so I could get power to my deck. (Harness/Wiring Issues? I don't know he might of bypassed something) I just put a male RCA into the female RCA and the deck (and windshield wipers) work.

Now neither the deck nor wipers work when I plug in that RCA. Horrible timing cause the storm is hitting hard and I can't drive without wipers, or if I wan't to drive at all. But neither of those guys that worked on it are answering their texts or E-mails.

I took a pic of the harness and the wiring, I hope it's just a quick fix, since I have no clue about this stuff, or what exactly what they did.

(Notes:
I had to keep moving the deck around, sometimes after a bump it would shut off, so I moved it around and it worked again, until another big bump, or it got too hott, and the thing would turn off due to bad electrical signals, or overheating, or I don't know lol>
I think it might be a cut wire, since the cord went right underneath the deck and might of did that RCA cable in, but it's not a very visible cut if their is)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok6ba8qzl2...2014.11.12.jpg

Last edited by Sportside4x4; 10-29-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
U got a terrible wiring instal. I can't even begin to point out the area, the harness is a total mess, a rats nest, a home for mice. I would take it to a shop and get it professionally insalled. After this all you got left is a fire hazard, keep the fire extinguisher in the cab please.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
I sure hope you didn't pay those clowns to butcher your wiring like that.
When I was 15, I wired my first 8 track player into my Mom's Nova going down a curvy highway at night with nothing but a bare razor blade and electrical tape and it turned out better than that.

FYI. you can get a Scosche kit that is a direct fit to your truck's radio wiring harness. All you would have to do is connect the harness CORRECTLY to your head unit and install it to the dash. Mine was $12 on clearance at Wal Mart, also available at Crutchfield.com and many other places.
My best advice is to just unplug that abortion and do without a radio until you get it fixed correctly.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 AM
When I was 15, I wired my first 8 track player into my Mom's Nova going down a curvy highway at night with nothing but a bare razor blade and electrical tape and it turned out better than that.
Abortion is right, cause as soon as it's disconnected I'm throwing that thing away. I'll look into a Scosche kit.

Is that replacing the harness just for the radio? I still have the problem with wipers still not working. I don't know much about installs, since after '05 I've gone thru 3 different installers and 6+ 'surgeries'. I'm thinking about diving head first into everything car audio so I can learn it for myself.

Anywho I'm fine without a radio till later, I just need these wipers to work for now.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Mind you I have/had a Pioneer DEH-6100BT hooked up to it. I recently bought an AVH-P1400DVD that's sitting in my hallway waiting to be installed. The way that's it's looking, it'll be me doing the install.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Suspended
Pay the $100 and have a pro fix the mess for you. You will end up afire probably otherwise. Knowing the motor for the wiper has been compromised is a fire warning. Words for the weary. Fuse 11 is a 20 amp stand alone circuit for the wiper motor and window washer pump. I believe there are 3 relays on the circuit. The radio circuit is parallel with it and you have feed back happening which will overload the cobbled up circuit. Power is paralled to the GEM and radio circuit excited from the ignition switch. A parallel circuit can cause some problems if it is a reciprocal condition. While the resistance in the circuit goes down the amp flow accelerates. Other dash power circuit may also be compromised. While the ignition switch accessory circuit is most certainly compromised and will be the worst possible condition that could happen. Thinking with print. LOL

Go to my pictures to see your wire diagrams for the wipers and radio. There may be a jumper at the GEM that is now a feedback system.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the posts Papa. And those diagrams. I'm still trying to decipher them, or get somebody that knows more than I do.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Suspended
U can print them off and ask around the head instal shops for more ideas. I would look for that stray jumper wire from the Gem for sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 AM
So I got my harness mess looked at from somebody whos done many car installs. We checked tho fuse 11 under the driver dash and that was fuse was good.
However he thought it was weird I didn't have under the hood a wiper/run park relay black, it wasn't there? Sorry if I'm vague.
Anyways he thinks I might need to get a new directional/wiper control arm from the junkyard, since maybe the shortest way it shorted out wasn't to a fuse first.

Dug up this: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/75...gem-issue.html

Also he took and kept my abortion harness since he owns a shop and wants to show ppl what might happen if you don't get your system professionally installed LOL.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Hope you get it figured out. I'm a noob but did my own install with the harnesses and had my dad sauter and heat sink them together. Gonna tackle the amp and sub install myself so I know it's done right. I love the satisfaction of doing things myself so I've been tryingto llearn something on here them do it myself. Good luck

Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Suspended
I believe in the scheme of things the power goes to the motor first and the circuit is completed with the switches and back thru the fuse. Being a motor voltage drop needs to occur there first. Feed back would create the heat and burn stuff up slowly over time. Sometimes the same thing will happen with the heater motor.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How did you check CJB ( aka Central Junction Box , cab fuse panel ) fuse #11 ?
- Pull and stare at it, or check for + VDC on the pins on the back of the fuse while it was installed and the key in the run or accy position ?

The follow on test to this is to check the wiper relay socket for power with the truck in the run or accy key position
- powers pin #1 in the relay socket, meter from here to a know good ground like the battery neg terminal.

If this has + VDC on it, the fuse itself is fine and time to move on to an another test with the wiper relay itself ( if it is installed and you looked at the wrong position ) or the test the MFS.

There is no wiper run/park relay ?
- Are you sure about this, if so, that might be a good reason why the wipers don't work and would never work.

How did the installer come to the conclusion that you needed a new MFS ?
- Supposition and it just sounded good ?

Might want to pull the MFS and test it to see if you need to replace it before you go to a bone yard and buy another ( unknown if working ) MFS

Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Well it's fixed now. The problem?

Fuse #8 being blown. Replaced the fuse, I guess that completed the windshield wiper circuit, and I have wipers now, finally. $4.29 later, I think I see myself using these forums more often for how stupidly easy this was.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Suspended
Have you checked your owners manual for fuse 8. It should be (5 amp fuse) power for the radio and to the Gem located in the fuse box in the cab. It would seem you are still wired ars backwards. Fuse 11, (15 amp), poweres the wiper motor and the windshield washer pump.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-13-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help - Wipers not working