King Ranch

Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!!

So, the owner before me...for some reason...put one of those steering wheel covers from Autozone on it.

I took it off and now the steering wheel is sticky! I have applied Mothers leather care to it multiple times over my year of having it so far but it continues to remain sticky.

Does anyone have any ideas or help of how to get this fixed? It's really annoying and makes my hands sticky and makes me not want to touch the leather of the steering wheel...

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was there some kind of adhesive or something on the cover that was left behind on the leather?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Smitha6
So, the owner before me...for some reason...put one of those steering wheel covers from Autozone on it.

I took it off and now the steering wheel is sticky! I have applied Mothers leather care to it multiple times over my year of having it so far but it continues to remain sticky.

Does anyone have any ideas or help of how to get this fixed? It's really annoying and makes my hands sticky and makes me not want to touch the leather of the steering wheel...
Try a little GOO GONE on it.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Was there some kind of adhesive or something on the cover that was left behind on the leather?

Thats what i dont know, thats the only thing i can guess.

Ive thought about goo gone but im.afraid if what that may do to the leather itself.

I kinda want to get a steering wheel from another truck or from an 06 or whatever F250, because those are tge same and tgey have tge steering wheel controls and i coukd hook those up to my new HU.

I just want it not sticky!! Lol

Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitha6
Thats what i dont know, thats the only thing i can guess.

Ive thought about goo gone but im.afraid if what that may do to the leather itself.

I kinda want to get a steering wheel from another truck or from an 06 or whatever F250, because those are tge same and tgey have tge steering wheel controls and i coukd hook those up to my new HU.

I just want it not sticky!! Lol
goo gone is real oily and i wouldnt put it on my leather wheel... have you tried the spa treatment? Hot rag with water and let it soak on the wheel

Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
goo gone is real oily and i wouldnt put it on my leather wheel... have you tried the spa treatment? Hot rag with water and let it soak on the wheel
No, I havent...I may try that

Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a sticky steering wheel too,, due the leather not being well taken care of. I just put a steering wheel cover on it. Most are slip on covers. Not even sure that spa treatment would work if your wheel is anything like mine. BLACK CRACKED LEATHER!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
my XLT leather steering wheels get tacky when its really humid, or my hands are wet. I think its the leather delaminating, its not looking too good

Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by K.R.newbie
I have a sticky steering wheel too,, due the leather not being well taken care of. I just put a steering wheel cover on it. Most are slip on covers. Not even sure that spa treatment would work if your wheel is anything like mine. BLACK CRACKED LEATHER!!!!
The spa treatment will work for the black but your screwed with the cracks.

Originally Posted by Patman
my XLT leather steering wheels get tacky when its really humid, or my hands are wet. I think its the leather delaminating, its not looking too good
Mine does the same and even the gear shifter is tacky when humid.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Tried the Spa Treatment and Leather CPR and it's still sticky.

Looks 100% better but its just still sticky...idk what to do, I may just keep adding Leather CPR to it every now and then or maybe do the spa treatment often and see if that begins to help....

any other suggestions would be great.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 PM
You may want to look into Leathermaster products - I was using their analine cleaner/conditioner products for some time with very good results (pricey though)... I also used their wax-on product on my console - worked well and may fix your sticky wheel.... call them & discuss...

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Depa...-Products.aspx

Old 08-18-2012, 03:14 PM
my steering wheel is completely ruined. I saw on ebay one time somebody was selling wood grain (plastic, who knows) steering wheels that were adapted onto the king ranch core part of the steering wheel. They were super nice and then you just mailed them back the core of the one you took off and they refunded you a bunch of money. Does anybody know about where i can find this type of thing to replace my steering wheel thats on it now?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM
I have soem stickeyness when it gets wet, bein a horse owner i often have to get in my truck soaked, it gums up real bad and gets dirty easy.. I have been using mild baby wipes on my wheel, it gets real tacky right after wiping down but once dry it is nice and smooth and shiney again, its worth a try

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Find a used steering wheel from the same truck online. Or, if you can find one with wood wrap on it that would swap over, that'd be aweosme too. I installed a King Ranch one in my 04 Expedition Eddie Bauer, and like the steering wheel SO much more than the worn out leather I had.

Name:  Seatsb42.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  KRST14.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  92.4 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sticky Steering Wheel HELP!!!