Towing & Hauling

Enclosed trailer for new Polaris Ranger HD

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Enclosed trailer for new Polaris Ranger HD

Hey guys. I just ordered a 2012 Polaris Ranger HD. Gonna have the Pro-Steel cab on it. I've just started looking briefly on line for an enclosed cargo trailer to haul it around. I also have done a search here on the forums and read some sound advice. The size of the Ranger HD is the same as the 800 XP, It is 114" long, 60" wide, 76" high (without the cab), or 9.5' x 5', and 6'4" high. I figure a 7' x 14' will give me some extra room to carry cargo as well, extra gas, gear, additional accessories for the Ranger, etc.. Briefly looking on line, I'm having trouble finding an enclosed trailer (7' x 14', 6' x 12') that has an interior height greater than 72". Maybe I'm wrong, but with the cab on, I'm assumeing I'll need at least 80" or better. My question is, Does anyone tow a side-by-side UTV with an enclosed cargo trailer? Most of the time when I see them on the road they are on an aluminum flatbed. From the forum searching I get the jist of what I should look for in build quality, but if someone would be kind enough to make suggestions on brands/types with enough interior height, it would be a huge help..................Thanks and you guys rock

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-02-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May have to order it tall. A buddy has done that for his sound & light business. I do know using a friends 24ft Featherlite enclosed we had to air down the tires on the Rhino's to get them through the door.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Cool

Ok, so, ryanamy, you were right. i had to order a trailer to meet my needs. I ordered a red, tandom axle, 2013 Homesteader Challanger. My truck is red so that's why the color. Plus it has alot of chrome and chrome rims. It's a 7x14 with a V-nose, with .030" sides. The floor is 16" on center. I ordered 1 ft. extra height with 16" wall centers. 12V power roof vent (already has side vents), spare tire with interior wall mount, 6 flush mounted tie downs, stabalizer jacks, and recessed E-tracks mounted on each side of the interior walls at 48" high. So, door opening will be 7' high x 6'2" wide. Interior will be 7'8" high x 6'8" wide. Interior length with the V-nose (which will add about 16") will be about 15'9". Because of the custom dimensions, the GVWR went from 7,000 lbs. to 5,000 lbs.. Curb weight was 2,150 lbs., and payload was 4,850 lbs.. So I have to wait till it arrives to see what the actual new ratings will be. Not the best brand, but it will fit my needs. I'll update once it arrives and I have a chance to tow it.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM
sounds like a hell of a trailer u ordered there scarlet!!! photos once it arrives please!!!?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Awsome, but...because of dimensions? Tell those guys you want a minimum 7K GVWR on that thing. Did you just mix up the sentence or are they putting different axles under it? May be heavier but should change the GVWR on you unless they change axles.

edit...nevermind, read closer, your cargo weight went down a lot then. Ramp door or swings? Loading issues we had were with a ramp door. Can't wait to see some pictures and as soon as I get done typing this I'll be off to 'use the google' and look up Homesteader trailers.

Last edited by ryanamy; 09-26-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Cool

Thanks for the inputs . Yea I forgot, it'a a rear ramp door with the added flap, and with the spring assist. And I also ordered it with the curbside hinged door between the axles and V-nose. And the upgraded (I think) LED lighting. Caster wheel for the tongue jack. 24" front chrome stone guard, and the V-nose has a chrome plate. The dealer mentioned something about reducing the GVWR because of the added weight in the structure, because I wanted 16" wall centers, as oppossed to the standard 24" center, if I got that right? And of course shes' got electric brakes on all fours. So yea, I can't wait!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
the gros weight shouldn't change...but the cargo capacity will drop(since some of it been used as structure).

12" higher.
be ready for ~8mpg towing that thing..even with the V-nose

Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Cool

That's pretty much what I had figured as well. Just makes sense. Once it comes in, next week I hope, I'll have the details. And I'll post some pics. The dealership where I bought the Ranger called this morning. Except for the Stealth muffler, they have the accessories in now. They will have it ready on friday. They said they can deliver it here at home for me. I live about 20 mins. away from them. Awful nice I thought.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a nice setup...pix when it all comes together.

Are you going to plow with that too?

My brother is looking for one...probably used though...

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You don't even want to plow with electric power steering. That will void the warranty.

The only F-150 that's officially suitable for plowing is the 2013 with the 6.2 (conventional power steering) and the plow prep kit, but you could get a used 2010 or earlier and get away with it.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I ment the Polaris Ranger not the truck!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Cool

I bought the Ranger primarily to travel around the properties during hunting season to check trail cameras, check the feeder, go to the blind and stands, check trails, and for fun . The properties do touch on one corner, but where the field is at, were we primarily hunt is about a mile away on the otherside of the mountain. Our place is actually near the mountain top, so it's like one piece of property is on this side (where we have the trailer), and the property with the field is on the opposite side of the hill (as it were). They both nearly intersect at the bottom of a hollow. As you may imagine, it's quite hilly. The roads average about a 8-9% incline/decline where they aren't flat, and the two primary lanes to the properties get to be as much as 13-14% of an incline. With the exhaust on my truck being "noisey", by the time I get to the top and thru the woods, the deer and turkey have already scattered. They do get use to the truck after I've been there a few days and they don't get spooked as much. But the Ranger will be much better. We put a feeder out on the edge of the woods were the field is at. I would estimate the field to be 8-10 acres maybe? But don't hold me to that. We've talked for several years about doing a food plot there. Maybe do about an acre to start. So, answering your question, I guess it would be a good possability for maybe doing a little plowing next spring. There are a few companies, like Tecamonte, that have a "roll out" plot product that's kinda like grass sod? You just roll it out and it takes root. I may look into something like that as well. My only thing would be the price of the plowing set up. I have seen them advertised by various companies that make them specifically for towing behind a ATV/UTV. We'll see. OOPS! maybe I should be discussing this in a different thread?

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-28-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Did I say my spellg stynks?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
I have the very same setup.

I went with the R & R enclosed trailer out of 3 Rivers Mich.

I added 1 foot to the roof to clear my Ranger with the fiberglass Rangerware top.

Name:  photo3-1_zps69c3a014.jpg
Views: 2190
Size:  145.9 KB

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Cool

That's nice. Looks good! OK, so here's an update on the trailer. I posted up some pics of it in my albums with the truck and the Ranger. A couple of the pics are in my driveway at home right after I picked it up. Both inside and outside. And then a few pics of them sitting at my place in West Virginia. It has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs., and a cargo capacity of 4,980 lbs. So I guess that means it weighs in at 2,020 lbs.. I'm glad I went with the extra height. I decided to mount a set of Rigid Dually spot lights on top of the cab. They clear with plenty of room. Once I got the Ranger situated right in the trailer, I can hardly tell it's on the back of the truck. When I take my trips (from Delaware) out to WV, my gas mileage usually averages around 18-19.5 mpg. Sometimes I can hit a little better than 20 mpg if the conditions are right. It's a 265 mile trip that is about half flat road and half mountainess. I've taken the trip three times so far with the load behind me. First trip, I took it kinda slow, like around 55-60mph. And it figures on that trip out I was mostly against the wind and rainy. I got about 11mpg. On the way back I got better, around 12mpg. The next trips I averaged 12-12.5mpg going between 60-65mph, sometimes I hit 70mph while passing. I'm sure if I minded my speed and passing I could do better. I may try on a trip just to see how well I can really do. I haven't taken it to a scale yet to take the weights. I think I'm gonna wait till nicer weather for that. Overall I'm happy with it'a towing manners.

Last edited by Scarlet; 01-01-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: speling gain
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Ranger Trailer

How tall was the opening on the back door to clear your ranger to fit into the back door. I have an Ranger XP with roof and trying to buy trailer. I'm at 77" high and want to make sure I'm getting a trailer with a door tall enough.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer for new Polaris Ranger HD