Backup camera confusion...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup camera confusion...

I have Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD with the parking brake bypass installed. Works great. I ordered a Audiovox License Plate Backup Camera and tried to install it tonight with no luck. I ran out of daylight so I had to remove everything. I tried taping into the reverse light and the trailer harness but I can't seem to get any video from the head unit. I think I might be more frustrated than confused. It was going so good and then when it didn't work the sun just fell out of the sky! Anyway, just wondering if the bypass could be messing anything up with the reverse camera?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
1. Make sure you have the backup input enabled in the settings. I have an AVIC-X920BT, not AVH-P4200DVD, so I'm not sure how to enable it, but on my model, there is a setting to turn it on or off.

2. Make sure your connections are solid, even in the wiring harness. If your bypass is the same as the 920, make sure the wire you moved is inserted tightly into the harness.

3. What did you connect to the reverse light, the camera power lead, or the violet/white wire from the head unit? You need to connect the camera's power lead to a 12V ignition source, and the violet/white wire from the head unit should be connected to the reverse light circuit. I don't think the bypass is messing you up.

There is a note in the installation manual, on pages 7 & 9:

Of the two lead wires connected to the back lamp, connect the one in which the voltage changes when the gear shift in in the REVERSE (R) position. This connection enables the unit to sense whether the car is moving forwards or backwards.

So you should make sure you're tapping into the correct wire of the backup light circuit. Put a voltmeter or continuity tester on it to verify.

Finally, I'm sure you already know this, but if you still have problems, post your question at avic411.com

Last edited by hawkeye93; 07-01-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks! I tried again tonight and I got it working. I ran a cable from the reverse lead from the stereo back to the reverse light and tied that & the camera power into that line. I do have one issue. When I first put it into reverse the camera is upside down. Then I shift back into park and back into reverse and the camera is correct. I don't know what is causing this.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I would guess that your problem is due to the fact that you wired the camera power to the reverse light. The camera probably has some sort of self-leveling feature, that takes some amount of time to orient itself. Your camera isn't getting power until you go into reverse, so it doesn't get a chance to perform the leveling.

You should wire the camera power to a 12V source that is active whenever the truck is on. Leave the violet/white wire connected to the reverse light circuit. Your camera will only require a small amount of power; nothing to worry about. But having the power applied should give the camera a chance to orient itself. When you shift into reverse, the signal from the violet/white wire will tell your HU to display the camera image.

If I were a betting man (and I am a betting man), I'd wager that will fix your problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I'll try that, but do you know of anything on the rear of the truck that has constant 12v power? I's really like to avoid pulling another wire all the way back to the cab! What a pain that was...

Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I found the wire in my 7 point trailer harness that is SUPPOSED to provide constant 12v power for "trailer accessories". The problem I am having is that I am not getting any voltage on this wire. Can someone tell me what fuse to check? I have searched the manual but I am not seeing it.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok, I figured it out. You have to plug in a relay that came in a bag in my glove compartment when I bought the truck. This relay activates that 12v lead to the 7 point harness. I don't really get why this was not installed at the factory, but whatever... it's done! After several days of me pulling my hair out over this.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 PM
i just wanted to say great thread, helped me a lot thank you hawkeye

Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM
this may help me on my camera i got mine off amazon and im having the issue of the camera image coming on while driving and i believe it switches back to the normal radio display (but once i see the camera image pop up i tap the screen and it goes back to the normal radio display... i have a pioneer avh-2300dvd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backup camera confusion...