2009 - 2014 F-150

Surging / Hesitation

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surging / Hesitation

2011 FX4 EB SCREW. 13000 kms. Recently i have developed a very noticeable surge/hesitation on light/moderate acceleration. It is most evident on an incline and feels like a hesistation, but There are no codes at all. Any TSB's relating to hesitation or surging? Going to the shop on Wednesday to get that and the third driveshaft yoke issue looked at for the shudder issue. Man. Not having much luck with my truck.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by chris3058
2011 FX4 EB SCREW. 13000 kms. Recently i have developed a very noticeable surge/hesitation on light/moderate acceleration. It is most evident on an incline and feels like a hesistation, but There are no codes at all. Any TSB's relating to hesitation or surging? Going to the shop on Wednesday to get that and the third driveshaft yoke issue looked at for the shudder issue. Man. Not having much luck with my truck.
I have the same surge/hesitation issue --- and you are correct, it is on light/moderate acceleration and most evident on an incline. The dealer has determined it is an engine misfire on cylinder #5. Ford directed them to OASIS Broadcast Message #4204 which states (sorry about the length --- but read it all):

"2011-2012 F150 intermittent symptoms including cylinder misfire, stumble on acceleration after extended drive at highway speeds, flashing MIL, misfire DTCS.

Some 2011-2012 F150 equipped with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine may exhibit intermittent symptoms including; cylinder misfire, stumble on acceleration after extended drive at highway speeds, a flashing MIL, misfire DTCS, and DTCS P0420 or P0430. Symptoms may be more noticeable during high humidity/damp conditions. This concern may be caused by excessive condensation collecting in the charge air cooler (CAC) system. If a misfire concern can be duplicated, follow normal diagnostic procedures. If a misfire concern cannot be duplicated but DTCS P0420 or P0430 are present, do not replace any ignition system components. Follow normal diagnostics for these DTCS only. If the concern cannot be duplicated, and DTCS P0420 or P0430 are not present, do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating. Continue to monitor OASIS for further updates."

Of course my truck is in the "do not attempt repairs" mode. As for your yoke issue, mine did not go away until they replaced the driveshaft...

Old 03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by dougers
I have the same surge/hesitation issue --- and you are correct, it is on light/moderate acceleration and most evident on an incline. The dealer has determined it is an engine misfire on cylinder #5. Ford directed them to OASIS Broadcast Message #4204 which states (sorry about the length --- but read it all):

"2011-2012 F150 intermittent symptoms including cylinder misfire, stumble on acceleration after extended drive at highway speeds, flashing MIL, misfire DTCS.

Some 2011-2012 F150 equipped with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine may exhibit intermittent symptoms including; cylinder misfire, stumble on acceleration after extended drive at highway speeds, a flashing MIL, misfire DTCS, and DTCS P0420 or P0430. Symptoms may be more noticeable during high humidity/damp conditions. This concern may be caused by excessive condensation collecting in the charge air cooler (CAC) system. If a misfire concern can be duplicated, follow normal diagnostic procedures. If a misfire concern cannot be duplicated but DTCS P0420 or P0430 are present, do not replace any ignition system components. Follow normal diagnostics for these DTCS only. If the concern cannot be duplicated, and DTCS P0420 or P0430 are not present, do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating. Continue to monitor OASIS for further updates."

Of course my truck is in the "do not attempt repairs" mode. As for your yoke issue, mine did not go away until they replaced the driveshaft...

I had the truck back at the dealer yesterday and they "REPROGRAM PCM TO LATEST CALIBRATION, CHECKED PINS ON 57/73 [connectors] RE TIGHTEN OK". I have put about 60 miles on the truck since then and have not felt the misfire since.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Surge

I had the same problem in January before I drove to Florida and towed a 7000lb load back. I haven't noticed it since. Since I dumped the load off my mileage has gotten better :<) Actually is better since the trip, but I now have almost 17k on her.

Still loving the Ecoboost! Better than my 4.6 ever was.

Dean

Old 06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by deanrd
I had the same problem in January before I drove to Florida and towed a 7000lb load back. I haven't noticed it since. Since I dumped the load off my mileage has gotten better :<) Actually is better since the trip, but I now have almost 17k on her.

Still loving the Ecoboost! Better than my 4.6 ever was.

Dean
I called the dealer and Ford Rep today. TSB 12-6-4 issued 6/7/12 for surging issue. I'll post update in a few weeks as I'll be taking it in for an oil change and have the TSB applied. Ford rep. said something about water/condensation collecting in something that needs to be drained off :<) Please excuse my ignorance!

Dean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Surging / Hesitation