Strange Sensation when turning

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Strange Sensation when turning

Hi guys, I don't know if you may know what this is, but I'll try anyways.

Lately I've noticed a weird feeling in the turning, esp at low speeds (forward and reverse). It's hard to describe but bear with me. When I turn the wheel so the Ford emblem is upside down, I feel some feedback in the wheel - like something is grinding. If the speed is low (i/e/ backing up or not using gas, just idling forward) the sensation occurs and the rpms change, just like if I turn the wheel all the way and get on the ps pump.

Another thing I have noticed is right when I start the truck and leave where I am parked, I hear and feel a slight nub when I turn the wheel and if that lights are on (exterior) I can see them dim exactly at the time time I experience the nub and slight nub sound.

I'm lost. Ford said they couldn't find anything, but when my friend's dad's shop does me brakes next week, I'm going to show them.

Look forward to your replies

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering pump failing? Typically that is accompanied with noise, but you would get the low speed feelings you talk about that would not be a promenant at higher speeds. The reason I think that could have something to do with it also relates to your lights dimming, since the belt turns that and the alternator.

Ill keep thinking on this one.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM

The only reason I think it is something else is I have a few other strange symptoms. In the summer with my heavy Roush wheels the steering wheel has a tendency to drift to the way the crown of the road is. Yes I know it is normal but it does so with too much ease imo. And if I go over an uneven bump the steering wheel turns on me. With my stockers for winter it does this, but not nearly as bad. Could that be bad tie rods? Also I looked at my lower steering shaft and it looks like the revised part ( the sliding one that extends).

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Mine does both of those actions mentioned in your second post, but does not do either mentioned in your first post. As for turning when hitting a bump also known as bump steer that commonly gets worse with larger/heavier tires, that why people who go big often add steering stabilizers to help control this.

However with the truck being a 2004 any components that have not yet been replaced in the front end could be suspect at this point. Tie rod ends seem probable, you can check for play in them quiet easily, with a buddy where one turns the wheel and the other inspects the tie rod you should see movement from output of power steering then hesitation either at first connection or if no hesitation there play where it connect to your spindle. Ball joints are always something to keep an eye on too.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanks for that bud, very helpful. I'm going to have my friend look at it next weekend. It's driving me nuts. This year I'm going to try to replace most of the front end with moog parts. I'm sitting at 73k and I like to get the stuff done before it fails.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Thanks for that bud, very helpful. I'm going to have my friend look at it next weekend. It's driving me nuts. This year I'm going to try to replace most of the front end with moog parts. I'm sitting at 73k and I like to get the stuff done before it fails.
Good call, let me know if you find out what's the cause of this issue

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM

Will do boss!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I know you're not hearing a clunk like Stealth but check your sway arm assembly also....links and bracket rubber bushings.....

Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 AM

I thought of that too. Is there an upgradeable sway bar? If I can upgrade the parts I may just do it. The work that they do at my friends shop on their own cars is impressive so they can do a lot of this stuff. I'm probably going to have him put on my GF shackles and pinion kit this summer when I do shocks.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
CV's ( Half Shafts ) are maybe binding? Check the boots to make sure they are not cracked or broken and have let all the greese out

Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Is truck 4x4 I was thinking it was 2wd?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Its 2wd, I don't have those I don't think

Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Alright so my buddy checked the front end out... he said it was still tight.

I feel something under my foot at times, could that be the front sway bar bushings?

Also, I noticed today, when i intiially leave after starting the truck, the lights dim, but everything dims, even the odometer light. When it happens there is a weird sound like a small bump almost and then the lights dim simulataneously. That makes me thing it could be the steering shaft wearing out because it would cause the power steering pump to work harder, creating more draw on the system, right? And like I said, the wheel has a funky sensation at times and the rpms change and patman backed up what I thought: more draw on the system since the power steering system has to work harder to turn the truck. Thoughts?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Bump...also I have the new revised steering shaft

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I want to make a comment that ........ Well, let's just say it sparks the imagination.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Sensation when turning