1997 - 2003 F-150

2000 F150 4x4 5.4 Starter Grinding/Screeching

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 4x4 5.4 Starter Grinding/Screeching

I have the starter high pitched grinding/screeching noise when trying to start the truck. This has been going on intermittently for over a year.

I searched here and read and it seems to be either electric connection related, shaft corrosion or the starter grinds teeth off the backing plate.

I have a new battery and cleaned the electrical connections everywhere to my knowledge. The truck is garage kept and only used for recreation (115,000 miles).

This doesn't happen everytime you try to start, but will if you turn the key too quickly or are in a public place with a bunch of people looking at you.

I talked to the service mananger at my Ford dealer and he said it is most likely the starter itself and the "backing or flex" plate that the starter turns. He also said somewhere around $700 to $800 to fix it.

So, my questions are:
1. Who is the cheapest to order genuine Ford parts from online?
2. Should the front and rear seals for the trans be replaced while the trans is out?
3. Since there is a "pop" in a universal joint, what are the recommedations for replacements?
4. Use a Ford starter or new NAPA?
5. What is a fair price for labor for the above?
6. Is the above wrong and I should be doing something else?

Thanks for answers and opinions!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me, I'd just replace the starter first and see if that fixes the problem. This would be a much cheaper route before you spend the big money repair and come to find out it was just a bad starter.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
At least remove it and inspect it. Put it on a bench, lock it down and hit it with 12v to see what it is doing. If not, most auto places will test a starter for free. Also, if your worried about the flex plate damage there is an inspection cover on the bottom of the bell housing in which you can see the flywheel.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
things to check.

sounds like the starter teeth are not engaging into the teeth on the flex plate. the teeth could be worn on the starter, not allowing full engagement.
Also, if you can check maybe the mounting bolts are loose?
I remember that on older cars and trucks you might have to shim the starter to allow for proper engagement-not sure if that is applicable to our body style trucks or not.
like the previous post said, also pull the starter and check for worn teeth. if you could also get the flywheel cover off and check the teeth.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Mine did similar, only when really cold though. I'd say replace the starter first. You should actually have an inspection cover of the flexplate to see the teeth, otherwise once the starter is off rotate the engine by hand to see also. Usually local auto electric shops have rebuilds and they are no better or worse than what a dealer offers- which often is rebuilds too!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Mines has done this for years now, I replaced the starter and it still did it. Took to Ford and they said they didn't know what it is. Have narrowed it down to most likely the flywheel but it looked good through the inspection hole so not 100% on that either but that's what I'm changing next

Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Exclamation

Good morning,

I am new to this forum. I hope you can help me.

I have the same problem on my FX4. I replaced the starter and the fly wheel. It is still doing it... And the more people there is around my truck, the more it does it.

The post is old. I am wondering if anybody did find a solution to this problem.

Thank you

Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bing!Bang!
Good morning,

I have the same problem on my FX4. I replaced the starter and the fly wheel. It is still doing it... And the more people there is around my truck, the more it does it.

Thank you

well i dont know what caused yours but mine didnt start doing it till after i bottomed out on a tree stump -_- it took out the metal plate you take off to look at the flywheel and i assume that its bent...

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bing!Bang!
Good morning,

Thank you
Have same problem on my ( purchased new) 2000 F 150 lariat with 101K mi.Problem stared at around 85K mi. Have replaced ring gear and installed new NAPA starter only to have same problem within 2 days. According to what I read about the Ford starter is it engages the ring gear teeth to teeth then it starts to spin not already spinning when first making contact. My theory is this; because it only started occuring at 85k mi I believe it is a wear problem, It is wear that has occured to the engine thrust bearing which has allowed the crank which the flex plate/ring gear is mounted to, to move front to back .If when the engine stops the crank is in a forward (front to back ) location the ring gear will be far enough away from the starter lets say .060 so when the starter gear which teeth have a slight bevel comes forward it does not index to start into teeth which are straight (spur gear) on ring gear causing it to mill if you will against face of ring gear teeth.When you keep turning key on and off re-engaging the starter what I think is happening is this finally rotates the starter gear which is static(not spinning ) at first by design enough to finally line up and mesh into ring gear.I plan to take my starter apart and mill .050 off face that mounts to bell housing thus setting starter deeper in service position to take up front to back wear of crank.I'll let you know how it turns out

Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I believe I may have, knock on wood, solved my starting issue. After my truck started not starting at all I replaced the starter solenoid to fix that problem and since May my truck hasn't made that annoying grinding sound when starting anymore. It's a fairly simple and cheap fix that's worth giving a try for the rest of you guys.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by mmartinyz
I have the starter high pitched grinding/screeching noise when trying to start the truck. This has been going on intermittently for over a year.

I searched here and read and it seems to be either electric connection related, shaft corrosion or the starter grinds teeth off the backing plate.

I have a new battery and cleaned the electrical connections everywhere to my knowledge. The truck is garage kept and only used for recreation (115,000 miles).

This doesn't happen everytime you try to start, but will if you turn the key too quickly or are in a public place with a bunch of people looking at you.

I talked to the service mananger at my Ford dealer and he said it is most likely the starter itself and the "backing or flex" plate that the starter turns. He also said somewhere around $700 to $800 to fix it.

So, my questions are:
1. Who is the cheapest to order genuine Ford parts from online?
2. Should the front and rear seals for the trans be replaced while the trans is out?
3. Since there is a "pop" in a universal joint, what are the recommedations for replacements?
4. Use a Ford starter or new NAPA?
5. What is a fair price for labor for the above?
6. Is the above wrong and I should be doing something else?

Thanks for answers and opinions!
Does your truck start after making that noise? My 2000 f150 had that same sounding thing but it wouldn't start also and mine is the flywheel so if yours doesn't star then I would look into that but FYI its almost a 2,000$ fix.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
I believe I may have, knock on wood, solved my starting issue. After my truck started not starting at all I replaced the starter solenoid to fix that problem and since May my truck hasn't made that annoying grinding sound when starting anymore. It's a fairly simple and cheap fix that's worth giving a try for the rest of you guys.
I have a 05 f150 xlt. Am having the same problem. I just ordered a remanufactured starter. Is it beter to order a starter w solenoid? I didnt know what the difference was so i just ordered a starter since the part number matched the dealer part number. Should I have ordered it w a solenoid as well? Please help.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by melanie31
I have a 05 f150 xlt. Am having the same problem. I just ordered a remanufactured starter. Is it beter to order a starter w solenoid? I didnt know what the difference was so i just ordered a starter since the part number matched the dealer part number. Should I have ordered it w a solenoid as well? Please help.
Depends upon what solenoid your referring to. Yea, keep in mind that they call the starter relay on the firewall the same thing, ie a solenoid.

I believe your referring to the solenoid that piggybacks the starter itself. I don't think you can purchase those separate anymore ? Maybe, I'm not sure who or what you went with, exactly. Do you have a link ? I can tell from that.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I was talking about the solenoid on the firewall, so much cheaper than a new starter. Still working great to this day.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Can anyone further explain what the sound is like? I definitely hear a sound after starting up my truck, but it's more of a loud squeal. The truck starts right up, but it is a loud noise that normally only goes away after driving for awhile. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 4x4 5.4 Starter Grinding/Screeching