2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Door Popped / now won't stay shut..

Old 01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Door Popped / now won't stay shut..

Anybody had any issues with their fuel door spring? Is this a common issue? Just got fuel and the door on my 04 Lariat Crew made a popping sound when I opened it, now it won't stay closed? Kinda like a spring broke?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Its a pretty common thing, it happened to mine when I was driving it home from buying it last year. It is a spring that breaks, and doesn't allow it to pull shut. DarrenWS6 make a thread of how to fix it, I think it is like a $30 part that you have to get from the dealership, and it doesn't take long to fix. I bought a billet locking gas cap when mine broke, and the lock holds it shut.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by curtmacd
Anybody had any issues with their fuel door spring? Is this a common issue? Just got fuel and the door on my 04 Lariat Crew made a popping sound when I opened it, now it won't stay closed? Kinda like a spring broke?
Yes, that would be the spring. Mine went on me 3 weeks ago on my 2010. Warr. covered it. They just replaced the spring.

Last edited by SETCHAN; 01-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys, I had an idea it was a spring issue. I'll grab one from Ford and replace it tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys, I had an idea it was a spring issue. I'll grab one from Ford and replace it tomorrow.
Here is my repair thread for the new fuel door assembly. Damn cheap plastic.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ement-how.html

Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by atr04screw
DarrenWS6 make a thread of how to fix it
I cant find this thread. Any chance you could post it for curtmacd.?
I'd like to read it myself too.
Pooof....and here it is. Thanks DarrenWS6

Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks Darren, my truck just turned over 210K miles and other than regular servicing, 4x4 actuators and now this fuel door issue are all that I've had go wrong. I certainly can't complain! I am planning to look at doing some exhaust work soon? I want a nice mellow but strong sound when I change out the system. Any ideas or suggestions when I go to duals, so I won't cause any computer issues? Still has the stock exhaust, in good condition. Best truck I EVER owned!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SETCHAN
Pooof....and here it is. Thanks DarrenWS6

Thanks Darren, my truck just turned over 210K miles and other than regular servicing, 4x4 actuators and now this fuel door issue are all that I've had go wrong. I certainly can't complain! I am planning to look at doing some exhaust work soon? I want a nice mellow but strong sound when I change out the system. Any ideas or suggestions when I go to duals, so I won't cause any computer issues? Still has the stock exhaust, in good condition. Best truck I EVER owned!
Awesome to hear of your good luck. If you are only looking for sound, change to a Magnaflow 18" body or Borla Pro-XS 19" body. If you pipes are looking rotted and thinking your cats may be a little too old to flow fully efficient, have some fresh stainless piping done in mandrel if possible, 2.5" also, Magnaflow #94306 cats with the same muffler options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Door Popped / now won't stay shut..