Third door on '98 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Third door on '98 Lariat

I have a question that I cannot find an answer for on this site........I have a 1998 Lariat Super Cab with "three" doors. The other day while shopping, my wife closed the third door as usual, we got home and now the door will not OPEN. It feels as though it is locked. I click the handle and you can feel it "release", but the top will not release. It stays closed. Is there a self-locking mechanism on this door as if there is, I can't find it......I have tried both door handles to no avail. I have tried using the auto lock and unlock, to no avail and even tried unlocking the doors with my key. Did not work.......I even tried locking and unlocking my tailgate, thinking these two may be related, but did not work either....HELP? My wife are leaving for vacation in 5 days and I need to get this door unlocked asap. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
There's a huge thread on here on how to fix it, it's where the clips inside eventually wear out. For the time being if you need to get it open instantly, hop into the back seat and remove the top and bottom trim panel on that door. Take the speaker out and you'll see a little metal bar running across the inside of the door. Just pull on that so it has tension while you open the door from the latch and it'll pop open. Try not slamming the door to hard when you close it next time.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks Pizzaman 711

I appreciate your response. Somehow, I could not find the thread you were speaking about. I will work on this in the am !! Thanks again !!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:32 PM
I have repaired this problem on each door. Some people repair the cable but I opted to buy new cables. It is a challenge to figure out the first time. I took a couple of photos the last time I repaired one because my son has the same truck, same year. 2001 F150 4X4 super cab. If you want the photos send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send them. The replacement cable is not cheap but it is worth it. I have worked with a lot of plastics and expoxies but this cable gets a lot of tension and I did not want to have to repair it twice. Steve M.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Email address is Silverdriver20@gmail.com............Thank you for your response. I appreciate t very much!

Old 12-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you for your response. My email address is Silverdriver20@gmail.com. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Third door on '98 Lariat