Help! Why won't my oil dipstick come out?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Why won't my oil dipstick come out?!?

My dipstick to check the oil is stuck in the tube, I was able to get it out but when I put it back in it got stuck again. It's the yellow plastic thing that gets stuck, not the wire. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix this without buying a new stick?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Bostonian
My dipstick to check the oil is stuck in the tube, I was able to get it out but when I put it back in it got stuck again. It's the yellow plastic thing that gets stuck, not the wire. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a way to fix this without buying a new stick?
In a 2008 ? Is that rusted ? Did you bend it,. -break it ? Hard to believe you can't figure it out.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The one on my new truck is pretty snug. I have to pull straight out and it pops coming out. I know it is not back in all the way until it pops in place.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM
The yellow handle has an o-ring on it that likes to weld itself to the inside of the tube(from moisture). In the past I have used a small torch to melt the o-ring enough to pull it out. If the handle is broken off flush with the tube, you will need to drill out some of the yellow plastic to get it to pull out with a small pick.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:33 PM
My 2001 did this after about 9 years, the very top of the oil fill tube would rust and expand locking the dipstick on. I was able to "twist" it off will a little pressure.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
coat the o ring with a little bit of anti sieze..

Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM
yah once you get it out you can coat the o ring with some motor oil and it should be good and not seize in there again.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by zski128
My 2001 did this after about 9 years, the very top of the oil fill tube would rust and expand locking the dipstick on. I was able to "twist" it off will a little pressure.
Yea, there was a big problem with the dipstick tubes, some would rust in half right at the fastener by the head.

What makes them hard to get out is a corrosion bubble inside tube flange at the top. In other words , -rust.

The way to get rid of that is to snake a greasy rag down inside the tube. then use a little grinding wheel followed up by a wire wheel to smooth it out. After that, pull the greasy rag back out, clean up the flange with paint prep or mineral spirits and paint w/touch up.

Greasing the o-ring is great idea, but sometimes it's not enough.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Btw- If you go thru all that trouble,- keep grease on it. It WILL corrode again if you don't. Yea, it doesn't matter what you do once they have rusted once, -other than replacing the tube; It will eventually rust again. The procedure is meant to slow it down considerably. Keeping the o-ring wet w/grease is easy to forget.

I'm on my second tube, actually it's a 4.6L tube and stick in a my 5.4. Yea, the original rusted completely in two pieces. Went to check the oil one day and there was nothing on the stick

Turned out, the stick wasn't making it to the oil pan. It jumped out of the tube at the break. I didn't see it at first because the break was behind the manifold. Something to watch for.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Makes you feel like you are in a differant universe. "This cant be happening to me". I hade a felow mechanic have a good laugh at my exspense. Twist and pull. She will come out. I like the coat it with greese or anti-seise tricks. Also, check your oil more often.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
, my 02 4.6L and I just experienced the dipstick tube broken in half at the fastener by the head. I'm hesitant to pull the lower portion of the tube out. What keeps the tube block from leaking? is it hard to install a new dipstick tube?

Quick Reply: Help! Why won't my oil dipstick come out?!?