OBD2 Drive Cycle Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD2 Drive Cycle Question

I'm having trouble getting my Catalyst and Evap systems ready for inspection. I know this topic has been covered many times on here and I've grasped a thorough understanding of the issue at this point. I've driven at least 500 miles at this point and attempted to follow the drive cycle directions according to this site many times. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html. Could anyone clarify what it means by the following for the Catalyst system -

"7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period."

Do I need to drive 25mph, then stop, 30 then stop, 35 then stop, etc etc 5 times? WTF..these instructions are so unclear to me!

I'm starting to worry because my registration is going to expire very soon and I've had 2 cops run my plates (I assume because of window tint) within the past 2 weeks!

It's a 2004 5.4L...Thanks!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Catalyst monitoring should run on two consecutive highway trips of 10miles or more

Evap usually runs after the vehicle is shut off, and only runs when gas level is between 1/4 and 3/4

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I guess I have to ask - Why are those two systems showing not ready codes? Generally, if you program the PCM with a decent programmer, it will turn off the drive cycle code and you can just remove the programmer and take the truck in for testing. Regardless, DO NOT return the vehicle to stock before an emissions test; that will virtually guarantee failure.

- Jack

Old 11-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I guess I have to ask - Why are those two systems showing not ready codes? Generally, if you program the PCM with a decent programmer, it will turn off the drive cycle code and you can just remove the programmer and take the truck in for testing. Regardless, DO NOT return the vehicle to stock before an emissions test; that will virtually guarantee failure.

- Jack
They aren't "Codes" they are just parts of the system readiness required for emissions inspection that haven't been restored since I disconnected the battery a few weeks back. My truck is not tuned, it is stock cpu.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 PM
ok it went through today passed inspection finally!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NowImBroke
ok it went through today passed inspection finally!
Glad to hear that. Yes, disconnecting the battery sets the "drive cycle code" too. It can be difficult to clear.

- Jack

Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, he's just referring to the monitors. As you all know. Not very many will show a P1000, I haven't seen one up here anyway. CEL's are off and what shows up when scanned is just the monitors; -readiness/incomplete data wo/DTC (regardless).

I've read that people do generate the P1000's, with just one incomplete monitor standing. We don't test emissions here, maybe it's programmed out. (?) A state thing perhaps ? I'm not sure.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Different jurisdictions have different rules - I know in IL you cannot pass without all monitors being ready, but I've heard of other places where one or more incompletes are allowed, depending on which specific ones they are. It's my understanding that there WILL be a P1000 until all monitors are ready.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
It's my understanding that there WILL be a P1000 until all monitors are ready.
That's just it, there IS NOT a P1000 on the KAM after a battery disconnect and/or a fuse pull (PCM fuse), I like to do both. 7 Fords, 2 GMC's and one Saturn that I can think off hand. None of those have MIL illumination after the KAM's been cleared. I always scan regardless, after I'm through with them and only the monitors come up. The scanner informs you which has run and which has not. - That's it, NO P1000 DTC, never.

I know people get them, -just not around here. Thought that was strange is all.

Attempted to look for info on that, "searched", but struck out.

Quick Reply: OBD2 Drive Cycle Question