engine running rough after replacing plugs an coil pack

Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine running rough after replacing plugs an coil pack

so guys my truck is a f150 lariot 4x4 5.4 v8 an was runnig bad an engine light came on it was misfiring so i had all plugs an coil packs replaced an that was few months ago an truck ran fine then two weeks ago began running rough again an engin light came on an codes wer for misfire in cylinder 2,3,5 so i replaced them again an now truck is still running rough an chugging while in gear doesnt do it in paark or neutrel any idaes im going crazy .

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by jamesmc
so guys my truck is a f150 lariot 4x4 5.4 v8 an was runnig bad an engine light came on it was misfiring so i had all plugs an coil packs replaced an that was few months ago an truck ran fine then two weeks ago began running rough again an engin light came on an codes wer for misfire in cylinder 2,3,5 so i replaced them again an now truck is still running rough an chugging while in gear doesnt do it in paark or neutrel any idaes im going crazy .

Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What year?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What brand of plug and were all COPs replaced?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Truck is a 2000 an the plugs were the best aotozone had not sure of name an coil packs were bought online brand new with life time warranty don't know name

Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Truck is a 2000 an the plugs were the best aotozone had not sure of name an coil packs were bought online brand new with life time warranty don't know name
the best autozone had? did they tell you that? or did you just buy the most expensive plug? the modular 2v engines need to use motorcraft denso or ngk plugs to run properly. they are proven to be the best plugs you can run in your engine. figure out what plugs you got. and did you replace both the plugs and coils the second time?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
No I didn't replace plugs second time around an I think they were delco plugs

Old 11-12-2011, 07:52 PM
if you have a mechanics stethoscope or know someone that does i would listen to the injectors just to make sure, but its rare to see more than 1 go at a time. if they all click and are consistant its more than likely the plugs. there was another member here that had an issue with delco plugs.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Ok thanks is it any possibility of vacuum lines or egr or pcm also old coil packs had s white residue on them some one said that could be antifrrrze leaking down cylinder cuz of intake gasket

Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Ok thanks is it any possibility of vacuum lines or egr or pcm also old coil packs had s white residue on them some one said that could be antifrrrze leaking down cylinder cuz of intake gasket
the egr would throw a code for insufficient flow or something if it was the cause. vacuum line would only cause noticeable running issues at idle. pcm could be a cause but keep it simple, i have personally only seen 1 pcm fail in the 97-03 fords and that was a previous mechanics fault. if the intake gaskets are leaking coolant then that could cause the coils to fail and contact issues with the plugs. so if you are leaking coolant then yes that can be a cause. i rarely see both sides of the intake gaskets leak but it can happen. but the white residue could also be old dielectric grease. were any of the coils or boots wet when you pulled them out?

Last edited by Matts ford; 11-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine running rough after replacing plugs an coil pack