05' FX4 5.4L Manual Conversion?!?!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05' FX4 5.4L Manual Conversion?!?!

Just paid off my F150 and am about to get my wife a new Edge Sport, so "my" truck will officially be mine to do what I wish with.

Truck is a 2005 F150 SCREW FX4.

I have been doing some Google Fu all day, looking for info. about swapping a manual transmission into this newer style F150. All I run into is guys doing manual swaps/upgrades in the 97-03 F150's and guys just dreaming about doing the swap into the newer 05+ F150's

I have a few questions for some of the guys out there with some know how. I am a fully capable fabricator,welder and mechanic. Just need to get the parts together that I would need.

I'm currently working over seas, so I can't run out and check out my truck at the moment, or else I wouldn't need to ask most these questions. I am trying to get some parts ordered for when I go home on leave this January.

From what I gather, these trucks came with a manual transmission behind a V6. So I assume the fire wall and trans. tunnel are stamped for a manual option? Just cut out what I need and go to town? Can anybody confirm this?

I have been reading that the ZFS5-47 is a 5 speed manual from a 99-01 SD gas, with a 31 spline output shaft? I assume my transfer case is a BW4416, that's a 31 spline? I need to confirm what T-Case I have in my truck, as I'm not 100% sure? Would my T Case bolt up to the ZFS5-47?

I guess we will start there with my questions.

So to sum it all up.

What clutch pedal assy. can I use? (the 05+ V6 manual one?)

What master and slave cyl set up can I use?

Will my T Case bolt up to a 5 speed ZFS5?

My T Case is the automatic 4x4 one, can this option be used with the manual trans.? Or do I need the manual 4x4 shift set up?

Can I use my SCT X Cal 3 to reflash my stock ECU?

Edit:

I found a parts truck and just ordered the clutch pedal Assembly, along with the shifter set up, the boot to cover the hole and some misc hardware. I guess I'm just going to dive in and get to it,since it seems as if nobody else has done it.

Thanks,

Josh

My truck.

Name:  mytruck11.jpg
Views: 14150
Size:  61.1 KB

Found some pictures of a 4.2l V6 manual 8th gen F150. I would need to get rid of my center counsel deal that sits inbetween my captains chairs.

Name:  f150013.jpg
Views: 29744
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  f150022.jpg
Views: 20076
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by ranger2339; 11-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Why do this? If the tranny you have works I'd leave it alone. That being said your PCM is NOT going to be happy about not having a tranny to "talk to". The Screw never had a manual as an option, the metal may not be stamped for one.

If you just have to have a manual with a Screw look around and see if the can find a Superduty. Your truck + the cost of switching tranny will be close to what a Superduty with a MT costs.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Why not do it? My truck is paid for, and I plan on keeping it till the thing rusts out. I'm no stranger to custom builds and fabrication.

I'm pretty sure my local tuner can use my SCT Tuner to tune my PCM, to make my truck happy.

I have no desire to have a diesel truck, so I am going to try and make this one the way I want it. If I have to cut the truck up a bit and do some fabrication, that's fine with me.

I guess I will have to wait till I get home to get a good look at my truck and asses the situation some more.

I need to figure out what clutch and flywheel set up I need. I assume I need one from a 5.4L F250-350?

Last edited by ranger2339; 11-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 54regcab
Why do this? If the tranny you have works I'd leave it alone. That being said your PCM is NOT going to be happy about not having a tranny to "talk to". The Screw never had a manual as an option, the metal may not be stamped for one.

If you just have to have a manual with a Screw look around and see if the can find a Superduty. Your truck + the cost of switching tranny will be close to what a Superduty with a MT costs.
This is BS. Do it man. I have done a lot of research on it and the PCM doesn't G.A.S. that the tranny isn't there...it can be custom tuned to be turned off.

The easiest swap will be a "Modular" Mazda M5OD from a '97-'03 F-150 v-8 (only)...v-6 trucks had a bellhousing that shared the same as the small block v-8 Fords '96 and down and coincidentally is still the same as the the v-6 manual equipped f-150s 04-up (pretty sure) ...meaning this swap will use a lot of bolt-in parts from the 04-up v-6 manual equipped trucks. The biggest problem (and why you could only get a v-6 or 4.6 v-8 with a 5 speed last model) was the strength of the tranny...as far as the factory would warranty. There are a lot of guys running the M5OD behind some pretty stout engines, including the Cummins 4bt!!

Another option is the ZF 5 or 6 speed out of an F-250, '99-up. Clearance issues here (it's a monster) , but a trans designed to go behind the 5.4, the v-10 , and the Powerstroke...not to mention another gear if you went with the 6 speed. Definitely a lot more work, including a body lift, but it would be cool to see.

Go for it man...all in all it is easier to put a manual in the truck with the 5.4 automatic than trying to put a 5.4 in a manual v-6 truck, so at least you are going in the right direction. It totally pisses me off Ford doesn't offer a 1/2 ton manual truck anymore...sure there's the f-250, but I really don't need that big of a truck to put gas in or pay 3/4 ton registration fees on every year...

Good luck!!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info man. I have been reading about this, taking notes and contacting junk yards for parts, so we will see what happens. I have a guy at a yard, that will pull all the stuff I need off an 04+ V6 Manual F150, so I should be good on that end. Just waiting on a final price.

I will have to look into that M5OD. I knew it went behind the V6, but didn't know it went behind the 4.6L. My only worry is the strength and being able to use my automatic/push button 4WD switch deal, whatever you wanna call it. I would like to keep that as an option. So I assume I would have to keep my BW4416 transfer case for that.

I did see that the ZF tranny's are tanks, so I will have to get some measurements and see what it compares in size, to the 4R75W I have in there now.

Ideally I would like to use the SD ZF tranny and from reading up, I need the 31 spline one and that's the 5 speed? 6 speed would be great, so I might have to look into it.

More research!!!

A decent bit of ZF info. here.

http://www.high-impact.net/zf_5&6spd.htm

Found a picture of the ZFS5-47 and the M5OD-R2 next to each other.

From the link it says the "ZF S547 from a 1996 F350 4x4 with a 5.8L" So I don't think this one will work, since its from a 96 with the 5.8L Windsor.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/132357

I assume the ZF is on the right, the cleaner one?? It does look to be bigger, hell a bit of massaging with a mallet will make her fit.

Name:  ZFS547M5ODR2.jpg
Views: 11798
Size:  52.4 KB

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by ranger2339; 11-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by ranger2339
...My only worry is the strength and being able to use my automatic/push button 4WD switch deal, whatever you wanna call it. I would like to keep that as an option. So I assume I would have to keep my BW4416 transfer case for that...

...I assume the ZF is on the right, the cleaner one?? It does look to be bigger, hell a bit of massaging with a mallet will make her fit...
Josh, if I'm not mistaken, the BW4416 is a bolt-on deal to M5OD and maybe the ZF...if the splines match. i think it's the New Process NP271 and NP273 you will find behind the ZF mostly, and some with electric shift-on-the-fly (TOD...Torque On Demand) like your BW4416 that you might be able to adapt to work if the BW4416 doesn't fit...

Notice the height of the shifter on the ZF (yes...the bigger one on the right). This is your biggest adversary. It would take a body lift or a trans tunnel transplant to make that monster go in, but I have seen it done in an Expedition with a body lift and the shifter came out close to where it would with a M5OD...

Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 PM
From the link it says the "ZF S547 from a 1996 F350 4x4 with a 5.8L" So I don't think this one will work, since its from a 96 with the 5.8L Windsor.
Right...it won't work...wrong bellhousing bolt pattern. ZF would have to be from a F-250/350 Superduty with a "modular", or overhead cam 5.4 v-8 or 6.8 V-10, '99-up. Also, M5OD would have to be from a F-150, '97-'03 (or '04 Heritage) with a modular 4.6 v-8 'cause the v-6 in these same years is Windsor bolt pattern, not modular. Sorry if i already said that earlier...:o

Last edited by lilgreenjeep2; 11-08-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: messed up!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Awesome info man, thanks allot! I think I am going to try and mash the ZF in there, I just like the idea of the stronger tranny, as someday a blower will make its way into my engine bay.

So if I use the ZF, then what flywheel and clutch set up? Just one from the same engine as the tranny?

Cant wait to get home and actually see my truck and draw up more detailed plans.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
So if I use the ZF, then what flywheel and clutch set up? Just one from the same engine as the tranny?
As far as I know, what hangs out in the ZF bellhousing clutchwise is gonna be the ticket. I forget how different the the hydraulic throwout components differ from the F-150 to the F-250/350, but you also might want to use the slave and the throwout from the donor F-250/350 and adapt it to your truck as the manual F-150 counterparts will be designed for the lesser M5OD...especially since you are planning to add a blower!!

Love to see this come together...keep us posted!!

LGJ2

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Ill update when I get some more news, might be a while..

If anybody is feeling curious,please feel free to see if there is a hole in your fire wall for a master cyl. on a 2004+ F150.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Josh, got a pretty good confirmation on your transfercase working with the ZF...the BW4406 is a bolt on according to JMC on here...the BW4416 you have is virtually the same unit, the 4406 being the manual version and the 4416 being the "TOD" electric version...the only physical difference in the two being a bracket casted into the case of the 4416...I assume for mounting the unit that makes the magic with push button...

Old 11-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had an MSOD before behind a 302 F-150 I had.. They are junk trannys. I would never own one again. I've done tranny swaps put a 5 speed in my mach I and all but that was an upgrade. Ford is not and currently there is no one making a transmission, a Manuel one that is decent. An MSOD behind a 3v 5.4 is a recipe for having to rebuild that tranny every single year if it makes it that far.. They just can't handle the power that engine puts out. It's your truck so have fun. I think your opening up a can of nightmares..

Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by lilgreenjeep2
Josh, got a pretty good confirmation on your transfercase working with the ZF...the BW4406 is a bolt on according to JMC on here...the BW4416 you have is virtually the same unit, the 4406 being the manual version and the 4416 being the "TOD" electric version...the only physical difference in the two being a bracket casted into the case of the 4416...I assume for mounting the unit that makes the magic with push button...
Yea from what I have been reading, I should be good to go on the ZF and my 4416 mating up, so that's good.

If I was home I would start on this, I'm really curios to see how the ZF fits up in the tranny tunnel of my truck. I found a decent deal on a 5 speed ZF at my local junk yard.

I wonder what he measurements are from the bellhousing to shifter hole on a ZF and the same measurements on M5OD ( or the M5R2) from the,04+ V6 manual trucks?

Originally Posted by jethat
I've had an MSOD before behind a 302 F-150 I had.. They are junk trannys. I would never own one again. I've done tranny swaps put a 5 speed in my mach I and all but that was an upgrade. Ford is not and currently there is no one making a transmission, a Manuel one that is decent. An MSOD behind a 3v 5.4 is a recipe for having to rebuild that tranny every single year if it makes it that far.. They just can't handle the power that engine puts out. It's your truck so have fun. I think your opening up a can of nightmares..
I will be using a ZF tranny.

I have done auto to manual conversions, on multiple different cars, just never on a 4x4. We will see what happens. I don't see it not working for me, if I have to cut up the tranny tunnel to fabricate something up, then so be it.

I have no emotional attachment to my truck, it's not a daily driver and it's all paid for, so it can sit and be a project/test dummy for a while.

Last edited by ranger2339; 11-10-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribed.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05' FX4 5.4L Manual Conversion?!?!