remote mount turbo?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote mount turbo?

i have a chance to buy a 40MM turbo for 300 bucks ive been looking into the STS style turbos and really like them. has anyone ever made there own? or done an STS kit? i think i can figure everything out but how to route the intake pipe back to the TB?? they have a kit for the 03+ but not 97-03's so idk were to route the intake pipe.

the 40MM are off the new ecoboost motor. also he has a 60MM off a cummins i know the 40MM will spool faster. what do you guys think? ive contacted STS they said they would send me a just normal kit for 1,800 bucks but that does not just fit my truck.

and info would be great. pics would be awesome. but mostly i just wanna know were to run that intake pipe!

Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What motor do you have?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
What are you going to do for a wastegate, BOV, oil pump, intercooler, MAF, tuning?

Have you done any research on how to choose a turbo for your application? I'm guessing no

Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure he has a v6

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
What are you going to do for a wastegate, BOV, oil pump, intercooler, MAF, tuning?

Have you done any research on how to choose a turbo for your application? I'm guessing no
tap into the oil pan for oil. no inter cooler. heard the stock MAF is good for 400HP. i have delta force sniper tuning ill do it my self.

no research thats why i asked here.

also i have a 97 2wd with a 4.6L V8

Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
With the turbo as low if not lower than the oil pan you need a pump

No intercooler on a remote mount with 6+ feet of charge pipe under the truck is going to eat a bunch of power

Pretty sure you need a blow through MAF

Do you have a wideband to tune?

1 ecoboost turbo I can tell you now is not going to be efficient with a v8 and it wont last.

You will also need a wastegate if it is not an internal wategate turbo

Highly suggest running a BOV

I would suggest finding out what turbo will work best for your engine then try to find a used one or remanufactured one

Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Here is a decent quick reference to choosing a turbo, and most important thing is be realistic on the HP you want

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...0Matrix%20.pdf

Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 PM
And according to that if you want 400hp this turbo would be a good choice, unfortunately double the price of your ecoboost one but would work better and is a very good brand name turbo, if you want the ball bearing version double that price

http://www.turbokits.com/Super_H_-_F1-62_.68_AR/1171/

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...topic=146119.0

here is my remote mount build. the pics sort of trail off, i changed the intake and maf housing from what you see in the pics. im running the stock maf sensor in a housing that was made by vmp. i tried to find another one on ebay because they used to sell them there. i paid $30, went on their web site and found this http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=230&parent=99 now i see why they dot sell them on ebay, werent making money.

i use the stock fuel pump with a BAP

this oil pump http://www.pumpvendor.com/Jabsco_23220_series.html

you dont tap the oil pan for oil, you run a T fitting off the the side of the block where the oil pressure sending unit is attached. you then plumb the oil line to the turbo, the oil pump will send the oil back to the motor after its been in the turbo. i run the oil back to the oil fill cap because it was easy and thats how sts does it. one thing i didnt realize is that there is an oiling issue with remote mount turbos that can only be solved two ways. for just a moment, lets think of time in milliseconds. while the truck is idling, oil pressure in the motor and there for going to the turbo is about 40psi. that means that long oil line from the motor to the turbo is full of oil charged to 40psi. at the instant you kill the motor, oil is still in the line at 40psi and it has only one way to go, to the turbo. the oil wont stay pressurized due to the laws of defussion (high pressure moves to low pressure areas). if your oil pump shuts off with the truck, you just flooded the turbo with oil and that oil will push past the seals and into the exhaust. when you start the truck back up the exhaust will be full of oil and when it burns, huge cloud of smoke. long story short you need to run the pump for a few seconds after the truck shuts off or have an automatic valve to kill the feed of oil. i went with the ladder option. went on ebay, bought a 1 way check valve rated to 10psi from duda diesel and put that just before the turbo. it takes just a fraction of a second for the oil pressure to drop from 40 to 10 and at 10psi the check valve slams shut stopping the flow of oil so the turbo isnt flooded. i think i paid about $5. you will also need a restrictor at the turbo, 1/16" is standard, i run 3/32" restrictor on the truck and both turbos on my stang.

40mm is way too small, dont even bother. i run a 70mm on my truck, could get away with a 60mm at the smallest but depends on the specs. is it t3 or t4, what ar number?

you can get an ic off ebay for $100, just run one, you will be happier. ic allows you to make more power without adding boost.

for parts, check out ebay, theturboforums.com and corral.net yes i know corral is a mustang site but turbo parts are universal

^^^^if a bunch of that didnt make sense its because my fiance is yelling at me to take her to dinner so i typed really fast.

if you have any other questions just ask

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM

that is the 40MM thank you for the info.

and will the charge really be that hot? i figued from the 6 feet of intake pipe it would act as an intercooler.

as for the oil i ment the side of the block i have an aftermarket press gauge so i could T off that. the lowest ive seen my oil PSI at warm idle is 20psi so your one way vaulve would be perfect!

so 40mm is to small? humm im not trying to make 400hp just want it to go a lil faster and sound like a 747 taking off. but yall are saying that 40MM wont do a thing? ill ask him 2 morro about that 60MM. its a new hx35 off an 2003 cummins.

as for the MAF im sure we could fab somthing up too.

also do you have any probs in the rain or snow?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 PM
not only is 40mm to small on the compressor side, look at the exhaust side in that pic, way too small. looks like its no more then 1.5" in diameter. imagine trying to run a 1.5" single exhaust on your truck. itll put a ton of back pressure on the motor and probably stop making power before 3000rpm its so restrictive. find out the exhaust housing info on the 60mm (t3 or t4 and ar number). i looked up that turbo, i see some listed as a t6 other listed at t4, none gave an ar.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 PM
found this on a cummins fourm.

HX35:

The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map. The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map and logged results from a member here. The bolton BEP housing with the hx35 turbine wheel do not SEAM to have enough flow to really reach the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. So the flow is there with the stock housing if you use a non-divided manifold. The spool speed of the 7blade hx35 is similar to the 8blade hx35 with 20+ psi by 3500rpms in the bolton housing and by 4000rpms with the stock housing with a non-divided manifold.
not really sure what that means but ok haha

Last edited by shifty_85; 10-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM
sounds like it might be small. i know diesels run really small turbos. my buddy had 05 f250 diesel. the one turbo on that truck was smaller then the two turbos on my mustang. fwiw, i run twin 57s on my stang

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sniper tuning is a joke. SCT or nothing. Ive used both and will never recommend the crapfest that is sniper

Old 10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Why do you feel that way about the sniper tuning software?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: remote mount turbo?