2004 - 2008 F-150

Replace Front Crash Sensor

Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Front Crash Sensor

Has anyone replaced the Front Crash Sensor on their F150? Airbag light has been on for months. The code is 4-2. Apparently that means the front sensor needs replaced. The dealership wants $200 to replace. The part itself is only $40. Sounds like it is an easy replace, just wondering why all the labor?? I think he said you can see it just by opening the hood.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, right in front of the radiator. Has a small plug and a 10mm screw. Picked mine up at the dealer and swapped it in the parking lot in 3 mins. Didn't mess with the battery as the truck was off.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did mine 2 weeks ago. $50 part and 10 minutes is all you need to change it. No reason to spend $200, that's theft.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give it a try...

Didn't think to search another forum... I only searched this one. Thanks for the link!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JurassicBob
Thanks guys! I'll give it a try...

Didn't think to search another forum... I only searched this one. Thanks for the link!
I think you get the idea that you shouldn't go back to that "thief without a mask or gun", er dealer. It literally should be a 2 or 3 minute job, one of the easiest ever to change.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
its simple to do.

one thing to do though... put some grease on the contacts before attaching the wiring connector. The failure is that water gets in and corrodes the pins. (one actually snapped off my sensor and I had to use needle-nose pliers to pull it out of the connector)

The grease will keep the water out and make the new sensor last longer!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
air bag issues....recall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faced with mounting government pressure, Ford Motor Co. has agreed to recall 1.2 million F-150 trucks and 16,000 Lincoln Mark LT pickups. The number is in addition to the 135,000 trucks that Ford recalled in February for the same problem: sudden, unexpected air bag deployment. Ford is also recalling 89,000 trucks in Canada and 47,000 in Mexico.
The recall is for certain models from 2004-2006, which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) had been investigating. Their investigation found at least 269 cases of sudden air bag deployments, resulting in 98 injuries. The investigators determined “if the clockspring jumper wire comes in contact with the driver side frontal air bag lower horn plate, the wire insulation may become chafed, creating a potential for a short circuit. If this occurs the air bag warning lamp may illuminate indicating that service is required.”
Or, the air bag could inadvertently deploy, a problem which has resulted in chipped teeth, fractured arms, and burns. It could also result in the loss of vehicle control. So, the recall has been implemented.
Ford will notify owners and instruct them further on where to get the free repairs performed. Or owners may contact the customer relationship center at 1-866-436-1332. Click here to see the NHTSA’s official notification . ....

Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by fomoco466
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faced with mounting government pressure, Ford Motor Co. has agreed to recall 1.2 million F-150 trucks and 16,000 Lincoln Mark LT pickups. The number is in addition to the 135,000 trucks that Ford recalled in February for the same problem: sudden, unexpected air bag deployment. Ford is also recalling 89,000 trucks in Canada and 47,000 in Mexico.
The recall is for certain models from 2004-2006, which the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) had been investigating. Their investigation found at least 269 cases of sudden air bag deployments, resulting in 98 injuries. The investigators determined “if the clockspring jumper wire comes in contact with the driver side frontal air bag lower horn plate, the wire insulation may become chafed, creating a potential for a short circuit. If this occurs the air bag warning lamp may illuminate indicating that service is required.”
Or, the air bag could inadvertently deploy, a problem which has resulted in chipped teeth, fractured arms, and burns. It could also result in the loss of vehicle control. So, the recall has been implemented.
Ford will notify owners and instruct them further on where to get the free repairs performed. Or owners may contact the customer relationship center at 1-866-436-1332. Click here to see the NHTSA’s official notification . ....
thanks for posting a totally unrelated topic!

This recall is due to the wiring inside the steering column. The sensor the OP is talking about is mounted in front of the radiator.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I have the 4 - 2 code flash as well, just took my truck in for the recall for harness (clock spring) and the code remains. Dealer said it is the sensor up front, which I all ready new. on a side note the harness wwas bad...

I will be picking my truck up in an hour and stopping by the parts desk to get a new sensor.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM
before you leave the dealer, unplug the harness on the crash sensor and ensure the connector is OK.

One guy on here had his connector totally corrode and had to replace that too... it gets more expensive very quickly so hopefully yours is OK.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
sensor was corroded and one of the pins was broken. New sensor in, no more code. Out $71.20 of my pocket. Bought at Hines Park Ford, New Hudson, MI.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone know where I could purchase just the connector?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by 4 Car Garage
Anyone know where I could purchase just the connector?
you could try a Ford dealer, but its highly unlikely they can get a loose connector. Ford probably doesn't stock it as a serviceable part.

So then it would be up to you to find a loose connector from a different source, ideally the company that supplies them to Ford.

But what are the odds of finding the exact connector and getting them to sell you one? Probably pretty low.

And with this being an important safety feature I wouldn't want to risk putting the wrong connector on and having it fail
- failure option 1: you are driving down the highway and the plug shorts out and your airbag goes off
- failure option 2: you get in an accident, the plug has failed, and your airbags do not go off.

Either one is bad.

... but I understand the desire to not spend a bunch of money. Your best bet would probably be to look in junkyards for a truck without front end damage... you could cut off the connector and then solder it into your own truck. Be sure to unhook the battery first, be sure to get a solid connection, and be sure to use shrink tube to prevent any shorts.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Rockauto.com sells various connectors with pigtails

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Front Crash Sensor