Reverse wire for AVIC X920bt

Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse wire for AVIC X920bt

So, I got a backup camera for my truck and was trying to install it tonight and got stuck when I tried to wire it up to my head unit. The problem I am having is figuring out what wire coming out of the head unit is the wire that triggers it to turn onto the camera when I shift into reverse. When it was installed, they removed the tag (if it had one) that told which was the reverse wire. Every search on google I try always tells what wire it needs to get hooked up to, not what wire it is. The only place I did see mention of a wire coming from the head unit was a violet and white wire, which mine doesn't have... Please help!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM
im having the same problem....i tried hooking my backup camera too and i would work on regular AV mode but it wouldnt work when i put it in reverse... I tried hooking it up to the Purple wire(i have a Pioneer P4300 and i think its the same harness) but it still didnt work

Old 09-21-2011, 07:37 AM
I think all Pioneer head units use a light purple wire for the reverse trigger.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Is it on the main power harness or the AV harness? I have a purple wire on the power harness, but it is connected to the radio harness and comes out as an orange w/ red wire. I also have a purple w/ black wire?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 PM
look at the installation manual on page 16. there should be a voilet/white wire on the power harness for reverse gear signal input. That wire gets hooked up to the reverse wire (dont know what color) in the harness on the drivers side kick panel. the purple/black wire is for speaker output.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
After calling around, I found out that its just missing. If you look at that first photo, there is an open spot between the blue and green wires. Apparently the backup wire was supposed to be there. Not sure if my installer pulled it out or if it didn't have it from the factory, but that was my problem... Just need to to slide the reverse signal into there and I should be good.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Just need to to slide the reverse signal into there and I should be good.
You're gonna put a connector pin on there first right?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by 08SILVERFX4
You're gonna put a connector pin on there first right?
I should, but when I asked the Pioneer dealer here for a new wire with connector, they wouldn't sell me one... I ended up just sliding a wire in there and taping everything up extremely well so it will stay in place. They are in individualized holes, so it can't touch anything else. Anyway, its in there now and all wired up. Works perfectly. Pulls the camera when I go into reverse or I can choose to show the camera and map at the same time when driving down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse wire for AVIC X920bt