Loud popping noise even after new cv axle!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loud popping noise even after new cv axle!

I had the driver side cv axle starting to pop while I was at the beach in 4wd, I had to go through a very soft spot of thick sand on my way back and I ended up getting stuck, so I put it in reverse still in 4hi. I gave it some throttle and I instantly heard a loud snap/pop noise so I let off. I put it back in drive, same thing happens I give it some gas and instantly snap/pop! I eventually had someone pull me out And the next day I put the truck in reverse with the wheel at full lock and I hear the cv joint popping on the driver side. I figured it had to be the cv axle, today I just installed my brand new motor craft half shaft assembly. I put the vehicle in 4hi and reverse with the wheels at full lock(I did all the way left and all the way right) and wallah no more popping noise was occurring. So I headed down to the beach to test it out, everything is going great until I hit a patch of soft sand while in 4hi and the steering wheel perfectly straight and snap/pop occurs so I stop after I make it through the soft spot. I then put it in reverse 4hi with the wheels perfectly straight and snap/pop. I repeated this going from reverse to forward to reverse to forward, and every time I gave it the lightest throttle snap/pop. So I started heading back in 4hi taking it very easy. I went through a few soft spots on the way back with the wheels perfectly straight and whenever I gave it some throttle or put the drive train under load to get through the snap/pop noise would occur consistently until I hit the hard sand and was just cruising, no longer under any load but still in 4hi. I am 100% positive it is coming from the driver side wheel well area. The hub looked in perfect condition when I did the cv axle change to the new one. I don't know if this is normal but while the truck is off and in park on 2wd, I can spin the front drive shaft coming out of the transfer case a good bit before it locks up. Today I pulled my front diff cover to change the fluid after this popping noise was discovered again, and everything inside the diff was perfect, no metal shaving and was as tight as can be with no play. I have no idea what else could be causing this noise, everything I research leads to cv joint. Can anyone help me please! If any more information is needed please let me know.
2007 f150 fx4 5.4 with a leveling kit, more mods are in my sig.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Sorry it's so long but I wanted to try get all the information I could in that one post!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Anyone have thoughts on this being transfer case related?

Possible stretched chain jumping teeth or broken tooth on the output shaft gear since it occurs in 4hi and 4lo?

Last edited by BlackOut07; 07-09-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added information regarding t case
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I would jack up all 4 wheels put it in 4high and see if you can hear the noise. Maybe have another person with you when u go out on the beach and let them get out and you give it gas in the soft sand and maybe they will be able to tell were the noise is comming from.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM
It won't make the noise with the wheels jacked up in 4hi or 4lo, it also engages instantly with no hesitation everytime without making any more sound than it has since I bought the truck. But I will hit the sand again to try pin point, I'm just afraid of really messing something up.

My neighbor has the same year and model truck I have, I crawled under and measured on both trucks the amount I was able to turn the front drive shaft freely while the vehicle was in park and off. My shaft turns a good 1/4" more than his does which is what led me to believe it is slack in my chain. This is my first 4wd vehicle though so I'm learning as I go here.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM
i dont see how the chain could have slack inless u offroad the heck outta it. my truck has 135k and it doesnt have any slack at all in the chain and i use 4wd often. i also drive on the beach and ive never experience that noise. your truck is newer to so i dont know how the chain could have slack but anythings possible i guess. let me know what happens... steven

Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I think you are right. It is now to the point where even on grass in 4hi with the wheel turned at full lock either direction, going foward and reverse, it pops loud.I just had someone drive while I listened and im about 95% positive it is coming from up front and not the t case. I do know it is on the driver side of the truck, but can't tell if its the hub or front diff. I'm now leaning toward hub because for 1 it has been getting worse by using 4wd the few times I have since the noise first occurred(wearing the hub teeth down), and 2 it happens randomly under load as you throttle on and off so it makes me think it can't be the gears in the diff since that would most like occur every revolution or at intervals. But again I'm no pro here just making semi educated guesses. Lol

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
yea it could be the IWE hubs goin bad. but cv axles make a poping noise when there shot but as you said you replaced that so im leaning towards the IWE hubs.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
When and if u replace the hub i would check the cv axle just in case cause its possible u got a bad one out of the box witch if you did there should be a warrentee on it.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Ya well I guess I may have to replace it to find out unfortunately, since I thought it looked visually perfect when I put the new cv axle in just a few days ago.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
I think you are right. It is now to the point where even on grass in 4hi with the wheel turned at full lock either direction, going foward and reverse, it pops loud.I just had someone drive while I listened and im about 95% positive it is coming from up front and not the t case. I do know it is on the driver side of the truck, but can't tell if its the hub or front diff. I'm now leaning toward hub because for 1 it has been getting worse by using 4wd the few times I have since the noise first occurred(wearing the hub teeth down), and 2 it happens randomly under load as you throttle on and off so it makes me think it can't be the gears in the diff since that would most like occur every revolution or at intervals. But again I'm no pro here just making semi educated guesses. Lol
It sounds like your Actuator is slipping on the hub. I am debating on changing mine out as well as they seem to have a bevel worn in on them and would rather change the actuator than the hub, cheaper....

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Thank you I will definately look into the actuator! Have you priced around for the actuator or suggest where to get one from? I never have but ill start looking around for one tonight.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Steven..

When you say check the cv axle do you mean visually check out the splines/teeth on it? Or is there another way I can go about it? And thank you for the help!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 AM
yea man i would just check the splines and teeth that go into the hub and just move it around alittle, make sure everything feels the way it felt when u installed it. but im sure its something in the hub or a actuator like what jerhelo said. im not all that educated on the IWE hubs but i know theres alot of teeth and splines on them and little things that tend to go bad on them sometimes. but it should be a someone easy fix. btw man i really like your truck it looks sweet and what beach do u usually drive on ?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 AM
some what *

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud popping noise even after new cv axle!