2004 - 2008 F-150

HOW TO: Disable factory navigation driving restrictions and more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HOW TO: Disable factory navigation driving restrictions and more!

Anyone with the factory navigation that comes in the 04-08 year range knows how frustrating it is when your going down the road and need to enter a location and you can not due to the safety restrictions enabled once moving. I understand the reasoning, but what if I have a passenger. Well after a long time researching I figured out how to disabled it. Not only can it be disabled but there are tons of other options, even digital gauges. You will now be able to enter an address, POI, etc while driving. Please be safe, I am not liable for any actions you take!

(PICTURES BELOW)
1. Turn on unit, making sure a GPS signal is acquired.
2. Push the HARD nav button, then go to your address book, select an exiting address you do not care about and then press the SOFT edit button.
3. Clear the name of the saved address and replace with F-DEVELOP ON, note the space is necessary.
4. In the upper left corner is the word ADDRESS, press and hold directly below the "A" - the screen should change back to the map (Do this verses hitting back or exit).
5. Press the HARD menu button, then select SECURITY tab.
6. Once into the security section, press and hold the lower rightmost corner, this will take you into the "hidden" menu.
7. Look for the menu option "DRIVING RESTRICTIONS", press it and the value should change to STOP, you can now exit by hitting the back button.

NOTE: You may have to perform steps 5, 6, & 7 after restarting vehicle, I will look into a way around this, but if you know you are going to be traveling to somewhere unfamiliar it takes less than 30 seconds to do and is well worth it. I think it can be done on the fly too.

The only other thing I know to do would be to put in a switch to bypass as needed the speed sensor, and not even sure that is possible.

These were options I jotted down after doing this, but there are probably more once you dig into it.
Version
Demo Run
Driving Restrictions
Clear User Data
Clear Sensor Data
Set Guidance Parameters
Communication Status
Capture Status Change
PC Logging
System Log
GPS Info
Voice Guidance Setup
Voice Confidence Level
Test Voice Beep
AV Voice Communication Test
Enter Easy Debug
Parcel Drops Flag
Log Run
Cycling life test mode
Voice Recognition Test
Voice Play Tools
Disc Version Info
Sensor Info
Mode IO Info
Bounding Box Display Flag
Map Display Flag
GPS Tune Setup
DB Bread Crumbing
Set Scroll Parameter
Palette Change
3D Calibration Status
Set Model Type
Change Guidance Parameters
File Tool
X-2023 Test Mode
Road Attribute Disp Flag
Developer Menu (Manufacture Type, Parts Check, Marks Check, Path Debug Mode, Show Detailed Information, BIM Debug OFF)

Last edited by mdhawkin; 08-30-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep.....but in the second gens 2009+ you have to use something like lock pick or navtv allsync ......they took away the back door

I can still get to some of that but no way around the entering the address while driving

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Yep.....but in the second gens 2009+ you have to use something like lock pick or navtv allsync ......they took away the back door

I can still get to some of that but no way around the entering the address while driving
Yea its bound to the specific generation I posted on, but for people in my boat its perfect, glad I finally figured it out the backdoor trick. Maybe its more public knowledge than I am aware of??

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Yea its bound to the specific generation I posted on, but for people in my boat its perfect, glad I finally figured it out the backdoor trick. Maybe its more public knowledge than I am aware of??
Its on a few other forums but its not well known....thanks for posting it!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Its on a few other forums but its not well known....thanks for posting it!
Perfect, I know I searched this forum up and down and never found a solution, a long time ago I even posted asking if anyone knew of a way around it, a solution was never presented. Hopefully people will benefit from this.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
What did you push to get the digital gauges?

Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM
wow thank you for posting this. Is this a one time change, or everytime I get in the truck?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by mep32jep
What did you push to get the digital gauges?
Select Sensor Information, then if you press on any of the circular gauges there a menu to the right that will pop up with more selection i.e. direction, acceleration, etc. I took the picture before discovering you could choose additional options, I still have a lot of playing around to do.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Under Dog
wow thank you for posting this. Is this a one time change, or everytime I get in the truck?
Only steps 5-7, which takes about 10 seconds or less to change and it can be done on the fly, which mean we never have to come to a near stop to put in addresses again. Just for clarification what I mean by on the fly is if you do not change DRIVING RESTRICTIONS to STOP before getting on your way and then realize you need to use a function that has been disabled, without stopping you can perform steps 5-7 quickly and then do anything you want.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Holy Hell! I'm usually on this forum pretty frequently and I've never seen this info. Am walking out of my office right this minute to turn that crap off! I rarely use the NAV, but I absolutely hated the 5mph limit on programming in a destination.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Holy Hell! I'm usually on this forum pretty frequently and I've never seen this info. Am walking out of my office right this minute to turn that crap off! I rarely use the NAV, but I absolutely hated the 5mph limit on programming in a destination.
Cool! If you play around with any of the other options and figure anything interesting out please let us know. Just a reminder to repeat last 3 steps as needed.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Alright, just did this, and it worked like a charm. Now, I just wish their was some manual/resource that will tell what each of those functions are. And too bad the gauge menu doesn't have more usable choices, like oil temp, actually coolant temp, and so forth. And what does the voltage gauge for? Mine never moved from 0v's.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone now if there is a way to enable/disable features by doing this? When I had mine programmed the place that did it enabled the external amp feature in mine and its causing serious degraded volume.. at max volume I'd be lucky to get 50%... the only way to fix this is to disable the feature or buy an external amp.

On a side note, the external amp, from what I know, is NOT part of the rear amp powered sub under the seat.

Cheers and thanks

Nem

Last edited by Nemisus; 08-31-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm sure the Voltage readout is not hooked up to the truck's system. Many of these functions are likely tied in from Pioneer. The unit would probably have a harness that would be connected to provide some of the sensory data. I did play the some of the sensors (accelerometer, lateral-g's, compass). Slope gauge does not show data either. I was locked onto 5 GPS satellites though, lol!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Disable factory navigation driving restrictions and more!