VCT Problem

Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VCT Problem

Ok i'm sure everyone is tiered of hearing these problems but i need some advice. I just bought a 2005 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 and it would not run at all. start up and shut off run for like 2 min die. No codes I was watching the fuel trims and notice bank one was +30 and bank 2 was -30 i determind coverters were stoped up so I removed them and they were. Now the truck runs and drives great when cold But when it gets hot it will run bad under 1200 rpms sets a code for (p0340) cam sensor bank 1 also it will die and hard to start like timing is off. Is it the vct selonied or phaser. I have did a lot of research and cant find how to test them. I think the phaser is working do to it returning when its cold also it activates when it gets hot. Thank you

I posted this a min ago but I think it was in the Wrong spot sorry

Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Start with the basics

Start with the basics for poor idle.

1) Plugs
2) Fuel Filter
3) Clean the MAF and TB.

Then move to new Cam Sensors.

Bad Cam Phasers usually start with a bad knock when up to temp.

Unplugging your cam sensors will give you a CEL but should tell you if the VCT solenoids are bad.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the info. I have tried plugs maf and tb also the fuel pressure test good. I have been a tech for 9 years I worked for toyota for 7 and now with honda. I dont have vary much ford experince. This system is similar to the toyota. When unpluging the cam sensors it does run better when hot but it doesnt tell me if its the phaser or the solenoid it just tell me it is something to do with the vct. I can see the the phaser and it is not buldged or damage from what i can see. when the truck stalls and its hard to start Its like the timing is off but I'm not sure is the phaser wont reture or if the solenoid is holding pressure or if there may be a blockage somewhere. It only get like this after I drive it kinda hard. I'm thinking the phaser is maxing out and geting stuck for some reasson. Also it has a bad rattle knock when its messing up under 1200rpms when i rasie it over 1200 it runs smoth and is quiet. From what i can tell oil pressure is good and the truck runs great at highway sppeds as long as rpm stay over 1200. Thank you

Last edited by tribute80; 08-29-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:55 PM
pull the VCT solenoid

IF your not hearing the notorious loud tick of a bad cam phaser, mark and pull both VCT Solenoids. (This should only take a few minutes, check the "how to section") Inspect the screens for crud, clean and replace in the opposite sides. If the CEL code now goes to bank 2, it's the Solenoid that's bad (now in bank 2).

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you may be correct about your phaser getting stuck and not returning to it's default condition at lower RPM when it's hot. The hard start symptom you describe is exactly how the 3V behaves when one side is out of time. I know from personal experience having had mine jump timing on one bank before, or your VCT solenoid could be getting stuck but this shouldn't cause the hard start. I tested mine before on my workbench with a couple wires and a car battery to make sure they would actuate when power is applied. Just don't leave it connected long or you risk damaging the coil in the solenoid. You should hear and see it actuate when you close the 12V circuit.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to mention that when mine jumped timing on the driver side it also ran ok when above 1200 RPM but I don't remember if it was ok when cold or not.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2005 model year had injecter problems also.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the info. I switched the solenoids from one side to other and no change. I'm told the notorious loud tick is the sign of a bad phaser this is no tick i'm hearing I listen to like 5 videos on you tube only one got close to the sound i'm hearing. It sounds like a engine when you let the cluch out and its trying to stall that knocking noise the engine makes when its kinda strugling to get some rpms in it. and it also acts and sounds just like i'm reving up a Tractor onece the rpms start to come up untill 1200. Maybe i'll just get me some power stroke badges call it normal.

Last edited by tribute80; 08-29-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Bad phaser

Put a stethoscope on the timing cover, but it's most likely a bad phaser. The knock can be pretty bad. The phaser is a dealer only part but you can purchase them from some discount online dealers at 25% off list. Let me know if you need the timing wedge tool as I can make one a lot cheaper then $125.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Having problems with my 2005 f150 bank 1 timing is over advanced and bank 2 is over retarted cleaned vct silinoids put now cam censors in still not fixed any ideas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VCT Problem