Towing & Hauling

5th wheel TT on a half ton.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel TT on a half ton.

I was at a large campground today and was amazed to see how many people tow 5th wheel travel trailers with half ton trucks. I talked at length with a man towing a 9590 lb trailer with a 2010 F150. He has a 1360 lb pin, a 100 lb coupler and 500 lbs of people. His sticker is nearly identical to my 09 F150 even though he has the max trailer tow - 7200 gvwr with a 1130 lb capacity. Around 900 lbs over his gvwr, and likely over one or both of his axle ratings, he says it tows like its not back there. I'm not sure what I think about this. I know that our trucks are more capable than what the sticker says, but I wouldn't be comfortable 900 lbs over.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Some people shouldn't be allowed to tow trailers............

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by canadian_screw
Some people shouldn't be allowed to tow trailers............

These are the people that get in over their head and get in bad wrecks when things go wrong. Just hope you are not around when it happens... and that it doesn't happen.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
There are also those who can tear a hammer up in a sand box and those who can't pull a 16' trailer behind a F250.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Colorado Osprey
These are the people that get in over their head and get in bad wrecks when things go wrong. Just hope you are not around when it happens... and that it doesn't happen.
And then blame the vehicle manufacturer because "My truck was rated to tow the weight of the trailer". Some people just don't understand.....

Old 08-20-2011, 01:27 AM
LONG TRAIN RUNNING!! 2006 XLT 5.4 Flex Fuel
I pull about 10K when vacationing, even pulled it up the Baker Grade to Cali!! Those who are around here know the Baker Grade!! Miles long, 112+ in the summer. Now I have an oversized rad, brakes, air lift, autoglide slide hitch, troyer active transmission cooler and a superchips programmer, but she handles it like a champ. I do not burn E85 when towing, it is 105 octane but I find it has less power and poorer milage than high octane gas, probably due to some egghead explanation about burn rates and compression rates of alcohol or something LOL, I use minimum 91 up to 100 octane gas (whatever is available at the time.) These trucks are animals when you treat em right!! And side note, DO NOT USE E-FANS!!! I went thru 500 bones worth of E-Fan crap and overheated, went back to my clutch fan and shroud with a DUAL core rad, that is the answer for towing heavy, not E-Fans!!!!

NOW.....keep in mind I was 10 years in the Army as a trucker baby!! Drove some pretty hairy crap! It is safe as long as you upgrade properly, brakes etc, and understand that you need to take it a little easier than a 250. Some people think that cause it can tow it, it can stop it....not the case. BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES!!! Also have massive anti sway bars, and NEVER EVER tow this kind of weight off the rear hitch, I have a 12K trailer hitch, but I would never tow over 8K unless via 5th wheel.

Last edited by CrazyBone; 08-20-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by 70BOSS302
There are also those who can tear a hammer up in a sand box and those who can't pull a 16' trailer behind a F250.
Thats awesome......i may have to use that someday.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by CrazyBone
I pull about 10K when vacationing, even pulled it up the Baker Grade to Cali!! Those who are around here know the Baker Grade!! Miles long, 112+ in the summer. Now I have an oversized rad, brakes, air lift, autoglide slide hitch, troyer active transmission cooler and a superchips programmer, but she handles it like a champ. I do not burn E85 when towing, it is 105 octane but I find it has less power and poorer milage than high octane gas, probably due to some egghead explanation about burn rates and compression rates of alcohol or something LOL, I use minimum 91 up to 100 octane gas (whatever is available at the time.) These trucks are animals when you treat em right!! And side note, DO NOT USE E-FANS!!! I went thru 500 bones worth of E-Fan crap and overheated, went back to my clutch fan and shroud with a DUAL core rad, that is the answer for towing heavy, not E-Fans!!!!

NOW.....keep in mind I was 10 years in the Army as a trucker baby!! Drove some pretty hairy crap! It is safe as long as you upgrade properly, brakes etc, and understand that you need to take it a little easier than a 250. Some people think that cause it can tow it, it can stop it....not the case. BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES!!! Also have massive anti sway bars, and NEVER EVER tow this kind of weight off the rear hitch, I have a 12K trailer hitch, but I would never tow over 8K unless via 5th wheel.

Where did you get your trans cooler?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Crazybone,

Can you post a picture of the Troyer trans cooler installed? Thinking about getting one but I'm not sure how to replace the stock one. it's tack welded onto a "L" bracket that looks to be mounted under the radiator.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 PM
hpdiniz, I will get some good pics for ya, give me a few days. I mounted mine behind the big opening in the chrome part of the bumper for max air flow.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyBone

Thats a sick setup man! Im looking to do a troyer trans cooler also and would like to see hows its set up also. thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I was at one of the local Jayco dealers the other day and Jayco has a new 5er out that is called an HT that is suppose to be designed for half tons. I looked them up when I got home for more specs and the dang thing has a 1300+ lb pin. There is no way it is half ton safe towable. But shoot if I had the cash I would probably give it a try, the wife and I loved it.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most dealerships will tell you that their 5th wheel is half ton towable but most are not...

Those 5th wheels sure are awesome though. If only I could win the lotto......

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyBone- Is there anything special you have to rig up, like sway bars and what not to that second trailer? How does the law enforcement community fell about those two trailers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th wheel TT on a half ton.