Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrax Pro vs RollNLock E series

Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrax Pro vs RollNLock E series

I have been looking and looking for the right retractable cover to put on my truck (2011 Platinum SCrew with 5.5 bed). I've found several covers I like but don't want to purchase because they have that strap hanging down from the cover into the truck bed (such as the ARC by TruckCoversUsa) I can't really explain why, but I just HATE the strap hanging down and have decided to rule out any model with the hanging strap.

As I see it, that pretty much leaves the Retrax Pro and the E series RollNLock (the remote control version). Despite numerous and detailed searches here and elsewhere, I can't find hardly any reviews whatsoever of either product. I find tons of stuff on the Lexan version of the Retrax as well as the M series of the RollNLock, but next to nothing on the Retrax Pro or the E series RollNLock.

Does anyone here have any experience with either model? Do you own one? Sell them? Do you prefer one over the other? Costs isn't a major concern for me. I just want to get the right cover for my truck. I need to purchase soon due to upcoming travel plans that will cause me to need to have my luggage covered. I would soooooo appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RetraxPro is new, so you won't find any long-term reviews. You might want to contact this owner, he's had one since June. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=425080

The roll up plastic canister is the same as the regular Retrax and it's rather large. The aluminum slats are connected via rubber strips, not sure if that's OK long-term.

I have an E series RollNLock dealer display, it works pretty good! The only concerns I would have are: 1. RollNLock vinyl does fade, you would need to occasionally apply a conditioner. 2. Someone could cut the vinyl thinking you have just a vinyl cover.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
RetraxPro is new, so you won't find any long-term reviews. You might want to contact this owner, he's had one since June. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=425080

The roll up plastic canister is the same as the regular Retrax and it's rather large. The aluminum slats are connected via rubber strips, not sure if that's OK long-term.

I have an E series RollNLock dealer display, it works pretty good! The only concerns I would have are: 1. RollNLock vinyl does fade, you would need to occasionally apply a conditioner. 2. Someone could cut the vinyl thinking you have just a vinyl cover.
I didn't realize the E series RollNLock was vinyl. Do you think it would rattle while driving at high or low speeds?

This truck cover thing is frustrating. Seems like all the models have some deficiencies. Considering how much some of these covers cost (E series is over $1600) one would think the manufacturers could do better.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
RollNLock is vinyl laminated aluminum. So, if they cut it, they will cut the vinyl, but they won't get through the aluminum underneath the vinyl...probably.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Retrax Pro

Do they make a retrax pro bed liner for a 5.5 foot bed?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by georgem
Do they make a retrax pro bed liner for a 5.5 foot bed?
Yes, they do.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I've had the retrax since oct. and love it.
It is not quiet with the rear slider open though!
At highway speeds no noise.
Also with freezing rain you cant get it open.
Have had no problems at all and wouldnt replace it for anything.

Oh and I have a 5.5 bed also.
My retrax was installed on my platinum three days after buying the truck last oct.
So I have been thru 4 seasons with it.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love my jack rabbit for it's flushness. I had a rollnloc on my last truck and didn't like it.

Name:  IMG_3190.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  127.5 KB

Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by SLW-SVT
I love my jack rabbit for it's flushness. I had a rollnloc on my last truck and didn't like it.
Why? They are almost the same (vinyl laminated aluminum) and have about the same profile?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
Why, they are almost the same (vinyl laminated aluminum)?
At some point one of the latches broke that holds the roll n loc to the tailgate and from that point on after hitting bumps in the road the left side would open itself. That was on an f250 but my stepfather with a gmc and roll n loc had the same problem.

The roll n loc is definitely more sturdy than the jack rabbit but flushness was the selling point

Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
The RollNLock is very picky on rail position. That problem is typical but easily corrected. The problem is that the rails are too far apart at the tailgate. A slight adjustment moving the rails toward the center of the bed at the tailgate usually fixes that problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by PLATINUM2010
I've had the retrax since oct. and love it.
It is not quiet with the rear slider open though!
At highway speeds no noise.
Also with freezing rain you cant get it open.
Have had no problems at all and wouldnt replace it for anything.

Oh and I have a 5.5 bed also.
My retrax was installed on my platinum three days after buying the truck last oct.
So I have been thru 4 seasons with it.
Do you have the Retrax or the Retrax Pro? I've read a lot about the Retrax (Lexan) making noise, and am trying to find out if the Retrax Pro (aluminum) has the same problem, or if the problem is resolved due to the powder coated aluminum.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM
I have the pro aluminum.
And yes it makes noise.
if you have your rear window open and the stereo off you will hear it in neighborhoods especially when the road surfave is uneven.
Anything over 55 and you have to hit a bump and then a bigh one as wind noise will carry it away.

I will tell you this my wife rarely drives my truck and if she does its local/city driving she will not open the rear window anymore. As she says(somethings back there) when she is on rough pavement.

Myself I only hear something in between songs whenever I go down this one street with speed bumps...of course maybe I am used to it...and maybe my stereo is on to loud.

What noise it does give I dont care I like it to much!
Remember this is with the slider window open...I have had all four windows and the sunroof open and haven't heard it.

Hope this helps...anymore??

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh and the powdercoat alum takes a beating have stacked tools and all manner of stuff on it while working out of the back and it still shines and looks like the day I bought it.I haven't waxed it yet but its been washed once a week since new and still looks great.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
RollNLock Vs RetraxPro

One thing I don't like about the Roll n Lock is it has a spring tension bar to get the cover to roll up. I've owned a few Rollnlocks and had issues with them rolling uneven and needed to adjust the side rails regularly. Even latching on the tailgate was an issue. This was a few years a go and they may have improved it. I had too many problems and will not buy again. The company was not fun to work with.

The Retrax has rollers (no tension bar) and as it enters the canister it coils up. You can drive with it open in any position. It is made in Grand Forks North Dakota and build for those Winters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retrax Pro vs RollNLock E series