Pre-1997 Models

carb leaking gas

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb leaking gas

Went out and fired out my old truck that I've decided to fix up. It has recently starting idling very rough and a little smoke out of the tailpipe. While looking around under the hood I noticed a gas leak coming from the bottom front of the carb and leaking onto the EGR body (i think thats what it is). So I shut it off and tightened the nuts holding the body to the manifold and restarted it. It ran nice for a couple minutes and no leak but slowly started running rough and starting dripping again. I pulled the carb off and looked at the bottom but couldn't see anything on a quick peek. So, I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of this and would a rebuild fix it? Also, should there be a gasket between the egr housing and the manifold...like the one between the carb and top of egr housing?

My truck info:

84 F150
300 6cyl
1bbl carter carb

I should also note that i never noticed this until after spraying some Seafoam "Deep Creep" and Seafoam cleaner through it trying to fix a stalling at stop sign problem.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Ah, you have the infamous carter fuel leak due to a bad accelerator pump diaphram, and possible loose lower carb bolts. Easiest fix is to overhaul the carb with a complete kit (because the accelerator pump is internal) and put a little blue loctite on the bolts that hold the throttle blade adapter to the bottom of the carb housing during reassembly. If you've never done one of these carbs, there are some very small parts and springs inside that NEED to be accounted for on reassembly. So depending on your abilities, it may be necessary to leave it to someone more experienced.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrade to a small holley carb! Or, rebuild the one you have.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Holly Carb

Which one would be a good upgrade?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A reman that's already set up with a warranty. Call a few parts stores.

But your best move is an EFI swap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: carb leaking gas