General Grabber vs. Cooper Discoverer STT

Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question General Grabber vs. Cooper Discoverer STT

Hey all,

I am running 325/60/18s on XD Monsters.

I am in the market for new tires and I am looking at the new General Grabbers. I currently have the Cooper Discoverer STTs and have been really happy with them. They have 60k miles on them and haven't worn out but have gotten super hard. They are scary in the rain now.

How are the new Grabbers? How is the ride? How is the noise level?

This is what they would look like on my wheels:

Coming from Mudders I am used to the hum, but don't want an annoying Wa-Wa all the time.

Might even go with something a little less aggressive this time if you have any suggestions. Has to still look off-roadable (I hit the desert often) but a smoother/quieter ride would be inviting.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Anyone have these? Cooper Zeon LTZ

They look like they would do well in the dirt and still be quiet on the road. They look pretty nice.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the General Grabber Red Letters on my truck and dont have a single complaint. I've only had mine on for about 2 months now but being my DD Ive put a lot of miles on them. They grip well on the street wet/dry and are smooth. There is a hum almost like a quiet low whistle if that makes sense at freeway speeds but it's quiet enough that I hardly even hear it unless the radio is off and I'm paying attention. Coming from my last set of tires which were Goodyear Wrangler MTR, its like night and day. Think they would look badass with the monsters.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM
My buddy runs a set of General Grabbers on his Dodge and his only concern is that he doesn't think he'll get the kind of mileage he hoped he would. He has about 15-20k on them so far. He's got a Diesel so maybe weight is an issue. But he's used Nitto Trail Graps before and doesn't think the Grabbers are gonna last as long

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM
I was just reading reveiws on discount tiredirect and one of the reveiws said the red lettering is peeling off. anyone else heard of this happining I was considering 315-75-16s for the lift i just ordered might just want to stick with the duratracs

Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Blue-02-2wd
I was just reading reveiws on discount tiredirect and one of the reveiws said the red lettering is peeling off.
Yah if a tire comes with "special" instructions on keeping the lettering red then that's probably too much work for me lol. I'd just hit em with a red paint pen. On a red truck or one with red accents they do look good though

Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by caaraa
How much the tire?
Found these on Tire Rack...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 06-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by FireBean
That is a different tire than what they are reffering to.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I've had them for a few months now and I'm pleased so far. They are definitely a softer tread than most but after talking with others that have the general at2 with a very similar feel to the tread, I'm hoping for at least 50k. As for the life of the lettering, I had mine mounted black letters out. That way if the letters start peeling I don't have to worry about paying to have them flipped. The noise level is a typical M/T hum. They have a very smooth ride and will hook-up really well. Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by RiverRacerX
Anyone have these? Cooper Zeon LTZ

They look like they would do well in the dirt and still be quiet on the road. They look pretty nice.

yep I have them. they do in wet, dry, snow, haven't had them in mud. Good price and just a little noise. i got them because no many people around here have them. Wanted to be a little different

Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have the Zeon LTZ's and they do well all around. Very mild road noise and about as good off road as any AT tire will be. On my second set now, the first set developed sidewall cracks after about 20000 miles but Cooper stepped up and replaced them for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Got the Zeons put on a little while ago. They are silent compared to the mudders. They are a tad taller and about 2" narrower. Still have a semi-aggressive tread but much smoother.

All my binding and creaking noises when I turn have disappeared!! It should make for a much more enjoyable ride on the highway as well.

Photo:

Last edited by RiverRacerX; 07-01-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: General Grabber vs. Cooper Discoverer STT