Noise that sounds like im dragging a chain fence

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise that sounds like im dragging a chain fence

I have been hearing a noise that sounds like i am dragging a chain link fence when i accelerate that sounds like it is coming from the front left of the truck. It normally starts making this noise when im in 3 or 4 gear and will go away as soon as i left off the throttle. I have tried running premium gas and it doesn't help. For what its worth, i have tried my truck in all the tunes on my gryphon cs including returning it to stock and it still makes the noise. However the noise happens more when i have it on towing or performance tunes compared to stock tune. Also I dont know if this is related but the other day i had to put my truck in 4 wheel drive and it doesnt work. It sounded horrible like something was grinding when i tried to go and wouldnt work. Any ideas on what this noise could be would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my truck makes that same noise. im trying to figure it out. almost sounds like its the CAT. like its all busted up and rattling inside. only thing is, if its the cat, why does it only make it at that specific load. if it downshifts, it goes away. if i let off the gas, it goes away. its driving me crazy and im hoping its not something serious motor wise. i have heard about the cam phasers on these trucks having problems and i know about the valve problem but the noise i am hearing is definitely not the valves.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Search IWE.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jgger
Search IWE.

Yep, My son and I just went through the IWE repair on his 2006. Same type of noise you guys are discribing. Sounds like the cat is making a rattling noise. Its not a difficult job to repair. Changed a solenoid and one front IWE (dealer only part) took us about an hour to complete. Common problem.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 05-15-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Yep - search IWE - I went thru it with my 06 Lariat 4x4 --- best description I had was it sounds like ice being crushed in a blender. Fortunately my extended warranty covered it all.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 AM
good deal. thanks for the info guys.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yep check your i.w.e. my 05 fx4 was making the same noise...pulled everything apart...I had a small hole in the diaphragm...swapped in a new I.w.e. noise gone...save yourself some money and change the part out yourself...there's nothing to it...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. I am not very knowledgable about trucks so just to clarify.From what yall told me like the sound ive been hearing while driving seems to be am IWE problem. but is the IWE system also whats wrong with my 4wheel drive grinding when i put it into 4x4 or is that a more serious problem?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM

The IWE is the part that locks and disengages the hub to the shaft using vacuum so yes it very well could be the problem. The solenoid on the firewall that activates the IWE could also be the problem as well. Read up on this issue and the possible causes. Its pretty easy to repair as mentioned above.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks dynotech. Ok so today i jacked the front two wheels up off the ground and cranked the engine. Both front wheels turned freely without the shaft turning. But when i turned the front driver side wheel it made a sound like a card in a bicycle spoke turning. So I figure the solenoid is bad but does anyone know if this means i need to replace something else.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Well I'm no expert on this but the IWE system is vacuum operated so check for vac at the vac line that leads from the solenoid to the hub (IWE). If the vac system is working then you could have a damaged diaphram internal of the IWE itself which means it will have to be replaced. The new solenoids have a water shield built into them which is suppose to prevent moisture from entering it and damaging the solenoid. Do a IWE search here for more detailed information. Some of these guys have way more knowledge than I on this system. Good luck

Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
my buddy and i did this repair up at his shop over the weekend. took us a total of about 65 mins to replace the drivers side actuator and the vacuum line that went to the actuators themselves.

after performing the leak down test it was clear what parts were faulty and what needed to be replaced. got my actuator from tasca parts and used some vacuum lines that were laying around the shop.

total cost of repair, approx $100 for the parts (rush shipping) and $0 in labor as we did the repair ourselves. nothing to it. so glad the dreaded grinding noise is gone and my 4wheel drive is working like a champ.

Quick Reply: Noise that sounds like im dragging a chain fence