Vacuum Lines

Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Lines

I've got about 6 months on my 5.4 swap and I'm having problems with the vacuum lines. I have a cluster mess of different kinds that fit here and not here.. It's just pieced together to get it running. Now that I'm ready to get this all changed where the heck can I either A) Get the right dia. of tube and rebuild the system OR B) Get a whole new system. I talked with the dealer they don't have it anymore. I believe I would want an 01 5.4 4x4 system. Truck was 98 4.6 4x4. Any help would be appreciated. I just replaced another line and my "stash" of misc lines is running short.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The 4x4 system consists of just two lines , from firewall solenoids to front axle actuator. One being Blue , they other Pink. If the dealership no longer sells these (hard to believe), then it's a salvage yard item.

Have you looked for the part by name ? - 4x4 Vacuum Harness.

Yea, honestly, I've NEVER seen 1/8 plastic hardline offered by a re-seller. - Just the rubber which isn't sufficient IMO, - not for a total run anyway. You can find them at the bone yard, just check them before purchase to make sure they're not brittle. That happens with age, but chances are, you'll find a good set fairly easily.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-14-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Read it again, Brew - I think he needs all sorts of vacuum lines, not just the ones for the 4x4 system.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Then just purchase the Vacuum harness's, there's 3 sections.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM

Yea, - same two choices. = Scrap yard or Dealership. On top of the engine you have the emissions harness, that's 1. The 4x4 harness, that's 2. Canister harness, that's 3, the canister is under the fender behind the battery. There's an AC vac harness as well, but that's part of the trunk lines @ the firewall by the battery. The emissions harness is year/model specific. Like I said, can't believe you cant get those at the dealership. The only thing that was discontinued on the 98 was the rear canister for fuel vapor. So this is news to me lol.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Yea I don't need the 4x4 lines. Those are OK. These are like from Fuel Rail, EGR system, Intake, Throttle body. Those ones. They said they didn't make them anymore- but this was just at Thoroughbred ford.. Maybe I'll try midway ford. I was hoping someone sold the plastic lines.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by novsun88
Now that I'm ready to get this all changed where the heck can I either A) Get the right dia. of tube and rebuild the system OR B) Get a whole new system. I talked with the dealer they don't have it anymore. I believe I would want an 01 5.4 4x4 system. Truck was 98 4.6 4x4. Any help would be appreciated. I just replaced another line and my "stash" of misc lines is running short.
You can match hose diameter at almost any hardware store if your having trouble finding it at a dealer and don't want to spend the time in a bone yard. Problem is a lot of your vacuum lines are pre molded/bent to contour around certain areas to reach where they are going. Sometimes replacing them with straight flexible hoses and trying to make 90* turns will cause them to pinch off. So the best bet is like what jbrew said, hit up a wrecking yard and strip what hoses you can that are in good shape. The vacuum system on these trucks are fairly simple. Most can figure out the proper routing just by looking at a single picture or diagram. I think jbrew has a diagram somewhere if he cares to share. I believe there is even a basic diagram printed under your hood on a sticker.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Yea I don't need the 4x4 lines. Those are OK. These are like from Fuel Rail, EGR system, Intake, Throttle body. Those ones. They said they didn't make them anymore- but this was just at Thoroughbred ford.. Maybe I'll try midway ford. I was hoping someone sold the plastic lines.
That's your emission vac harness and are model specific since plenum ports (throttle body elbow) have changed through the years. BUT, for the 01 the 2000 -2003 SHOULD match up since routing has changed since 2000 ans stayed the same. The PCV systems changed back and forth tho lol, -specially in 02.

You need a part # ?

BTW, Toyz is right, they like to suck shut on yuh if you go with rubber replacement hose.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Let me get this straight. You have an 01 engine , a 5.4L correct ? The emissions harness connects to a 4 way over by the battery correct ?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:23 PM

deleted

Last edited by jbrew; 05-17-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: user didn't need the 01 diagram.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes the four way plug. It's just 2x2 on the connections right? I used some of my 98 vacuum lines and some from the new motor. So the bends really don't match up as it is.. and the bends your talking about (Toyz) have cause me problems.. like melting together when close to the EGR. I just want everything factory looking and not all rigged up. I'd love to be able to put my 5.4 cover on for the first time.

Also looking at your diagram it looks like theres only part of it... Is that everything. I know that I have one line going to EGR, one to Fuel rail, one to plastic egr solenoid (piece that makes the noises after motor is shut off)

I really need to take a picture while I'm out there to make sure it's right. Also have a maybe related maybe unrelated problem with the front axle coming out of 4x4. it's only done it once or twice. Seams like I put it under some strain and it pops right now. Can the vac or lack of be doing that? I don't remember it ever doing that before the motor swap
Thanks

Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 AM

Who are talking to? I guess it's not me since you didn't confirm my questions. I posted everything, all connections for an 01 motor, The Plenum,EVR,EGR,FPR and the white EVAP on the firewall. That was a 2001 breakdown w/diagram, part #'s and correct name source. That info would have got you what you needed.

Nevermind, -I'll just get rid of it.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
You were the only one that was asking questions.. so yes my answers were to you. I'm sorry next time I will be more specific- In the future would you like me to address you with a SIR, MADAM, MR, MRS, or MISS. I'm glad I grabbed the diagram. Thanks for your help
Sean

Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM

You were the only one that was asking questions.. so yes my answers were to you. I'm sorry next time I will be more specific- In the future would you like me to address you with a SIR, MADAM, MR, MRS, or MISS. I'm glad I grabbed the diagram. Thanks for your help
Sean
No, that's what the quote feature is for. You have Toyz user name down, not mine.

Think your pretty smart stealing my pic don't yuh lol. Okay then.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
I would like to think of myself as educated yes. You were the only one asking questions sooo I figured you knew I was talking to you. Rest assured it will not happen again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum Lines