Hooking up a camera to Kenwood DNX6140 to work in reverse mode and driving mode.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking up a camera to Kenwood DNX6140 to work in reverse mode and driving mode.

Kenwood DNX6140 and cheap backup camera.

I am getting ready to buy a camera for my 05 F150 and hook it up to my Kenwood DNX6140. I have searched numerous threads but could not find out exactly how to hook the camera up and go thru the settings of the head unit to do what I want. Maybe I am over thinking this.

I want to install the camera in a way so that when I put the truck in reverse, the camera turns on and I can see behind me. But, I also want the ability to check on trailer loads while driving. I know there is a feature that allows me to press the NAV button on the head unit for more than 1 second and that will switch the display to camera view (if I have the unit settings correct).

My question is, can I have the camera work in both fashions. Can I have it switch to on automatically when truck is put into reverse and also have the while driving feature? What wiring is involved in this?

Thanks..

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Good question. I've got the 5120 in my 06. My camera is wired where I have to press the NAV button for it to turn on - does not turn on automatically upon engaging reverse. I'd be interested to know too if ou can have it both ways for the same reasons. I'll pull out my manual and see if it tells us anything. I also bought my unit from Crutchfield and they offer tech support forever so perhaps I can get an answer from them.

Anyone else know?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM
i think you will have to hook up two wires to the reverse wire on the head unit harness. one wire will be used as a trigger from the truck being put into reverse and the other you will have to hook up to a switch or something like that so you would flip the switch when you want to see the rear view camera when not in reverse. you will also have to do the same for the camera's 12 volt source. the camera will need 12 volts to turn on and usually people tap into the tail light harness for the reverse wire but in this case the camera will only be powered when in reverse. you would have to send a second wire to the camera that will send a 12 volt signal to the camera to turn on with the switch i mentioned earlier. confused yet???

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM
you should have a purple wire on the back of your radio that will go to your reverse wire, so when you put it in reverse the radio will auto switch to camera input. you should be able to hold down your nav button for a few seconds and your radio should display your camera while driving also make sure your green wire on the back of the radio is grounded. the reverse wire for your 05 f150 is in the drivers kick panel and it is a black with pink located in a gray plug pin #13

Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The solution is very simple, i have posted it before with a diagram i believe.
Forget about holding the nav button or anything else, let the radio do it for you.

You simply need a single pole double throw switch, (spdt) and some wiring.
The switch looks like this

or this

The style is up to you as long as its a SPDT switch, just because it has three prongs doesnt make it an SPDT. Some have a power, switched power and ground and are a simple on off switch not SPDT, and some SPDT switches have four/five prongs, the typical three and a ground and + for a light.... either way just make sure its the right kind.

This is the pole diagram for a simple three prong.

Heres how we hook it up.
Ground the cam.
You must run the + wire of the camera all the way into the cab as well as the CAM wire from the headunit where your switch will be.

Your camera + and reverse sense wire from the headunit will be tied together at COM on the switch.
A pole will go to the reverse wire on the fusebox.
B pole will go to a FUSED + hot wire.

Operation is very simple. Leave the switch in A position, the cam and radio will work normally when truck is put into reverse.

Flip the switch down to B position and the cam and headunit receive power going into the reverse mode automatically without you doing a thing except flipping the switch. Whallla demand reverse cam and video.
Flip it back to the A position and it goes back into auto reverse mode.

Make sure the settings on the HU are on auto for the reverse cam and enjoy.
Pole A and B are interchangeable, doesnt matter what goes were as long as the HU wire and cam wire are going to the COM port.

Originally Posted by orlandof150fan
you should have a purple wire on the back of your radio that will go to your reverse wire, so when you put it in reverse the radio will auto switch to camera input. you should be able to hold down your nav button for a few seconds and your radio should display your camera while driving also make sure your green wire on the back of the radio is grounded. the reverse wire for your 05 f150 is in the drivers kick panel and it is a black with pink located in a gray plug pin #13
This is true but it only works if your camera is wired HOT at all times, (not a good idea) otherwise (for you guys that have the cam tapped into the reverse lamp wires out back) you get a blank black screen cause the camera isnt ON.

And Smoking
Look thru the settings, there should be a reverse camera setting, set it to auto and the cam should appear when you shift to reverse.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 05-23-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 AM
that's why the camera is wired to 12v switched power turns on and off with key
that's how all factory camera's operate

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM

That may be so but in this particular thread they are talking about aftermarket headunits with aftermarket cameras. It is common to wire up these cameras thru the tail lamp leads. As stated if your wired that way you get a blank screen if you activate the cam while not in reverse.
And it just may be my opinion but I don't like the idea of the camera getting power at all times when the key is on.
Seems a bit more efficient for it to only get power when you need it. I honestly don't think factory cams are constantly powered when the key is on.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I like the idea that Fabian has provided. I would think that power direct to the camera may have ill effects if left on all the time. At the very least, it would shorten the lifespan. The reason you power the camera via the backup lamps, is because in most vehicles.. the cameras are used for backing up only.

I want to be able to keep an eye on a trailer or load, or better yet.. switch a second camera on the rear of a wider enclosed trailer so that I can see traffic behind me.

My Kenwood has the ability to hold the nav button and change the screen to blank or camera. And extra button wired in may not be something that I want to cut and install in the truck.

Tough call on how to install this….

Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
fabian your switch circuit is fine. to each his own. I'm just saying from being a mecp master technician installer certified and building and installing custom car audio system's for over 20 years. the industry in general wire's the way I was giving it. if the camera is wired to switch 12v you will get video in rev and when hold down the nav. button you will get video while driving. also search factory camera wire diagram on here and you will see the camera is wired up to 12v switch power. I'm not here to start any thing with any one just giving my option from being in the car audio business. that's it

Last edited by orlandof150fan; 05-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM

I wasnt questioning your credentials nor trying to start anything myself. I was offering up a simple solution to the question asked. We are on the same team here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooking up a camera to Kenwood DNX6140 to work in reverse mode and driving mode.