Cold Belt Noise

Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Belt Noise

Does anyone experience belt squeak when starting a cold engine? Mine makes quite a bit of noise until warm, then not a peep!!:o

Last edited by Jetpilot2; 05-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What belt are you running?

Is it humid?

How much slack is in your belt?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Mine does that. However the chirping is from the alternator bearing. Took me a while to figure that one out. Pissed me off to. It started with 42k on the truck.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Never put belt dressing on a belt. Ruins the belt and the pullies and it a PITA to remove. A belt squeel on start up is because of a loose belt over an alternator. A bearing will make noise all the time from my experience.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
What belt are you running?

Is it humid?

How much slack is in your belt?

It's the NAPA belt that came with the upgrade kit. I'm pretty sure there is not that much slack, putting the belt on is almost impossible.

I heard the NAPA belts are notorious for noise, so I just got a Dayco on the recommendation of someone who deals with these belts regularly and has dropped the NAPA belts due to the number of return customers complaining of belt noise. I will be putting it on, and will let you know in the morning.

The noise goes away when warm, so not sure about the alternator, but who knows; the alternator did come with the blower and I used it instead of my original one.

Last edited by Jetpilot2; 05-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Never put belt dressing on a belt. Ruins the belt and the pullies and it a PITA to remove. A belt squeel on start up is because of a loose belt over an alternator. A bearing will make noise all the time from my experience.
Not this one lol. Took the belt off and spun the alt by hand and could hear it. It will do it for about the first 3 mins of run time. Longer when it was cold out. I sprayed some Teflon lubricant on the bearing and it stopped for about a week. And yes belt dressings are bad news.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
It's the NAPA belt that came with the upgrade kit. I'm pretty sure there is not that much slack, putting the belt on is almost impossible.

I heard the NAPA belts are notorious for noise, so I just got a Dayco on the recommendation of someone who deals with these belts regularly and has dropped the NAPA belts due to the number of return customers complaining of belt noise. I will be putting it on, and will let you know in the morning.

The noise goes away when warm, so not sure about the alternator, but who knows; the alternator did come with the blower and I used it instead of my original one.
Gates green stripe belts are the preferred belt of blowers.

Dayco's in the blower community are known as the worst...

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 05-12-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Gates green stripe belts are the preferred belt of blowers.

Dayco's in the blower community are known as the worst...
GREAT~!!!

Well, turns out, Jason was right; it's my alternator. I went to change out the belt this morning and when I spun the alternator, I heard the "squeak". I'm in the process of putting my original alternator back on now. I guess I'll leave the NAPA belt on in light of the above.

How did your school car show go? I know you're busy, but when you get a chance...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
GREAT~!!!

Well, turns out, Jason was right; it's my alternator. I went to change out the belt this morning and when I spun the alternator, I heard the "squeak". I'm in the process of putting my original alternator back on now. I guess I'll leave the NAPA belt on in light of the above.

How did your school car show go? I know you're busy, but when you get a chance...
Just a meeting last night, got the t-shirts for the participants and trying to help everyone get organized.... The biggest problem is the lack of volunteers from parents and students.

I should be free all, ill give you a call.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Well, the chirp is still there with the original alternator, but it not as bad/loud. I put the NAPA belt back on, but will getting a Green Stripe soon; off to the tuner now.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Who's tuning it?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Who's tuning it?
x2

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
x2
Yep. I smell a Mustang "tooner" lmao

Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
i have the same problem with my accessory belt with no A/C on my lightning motor. Squeals when you first start up than once warm goes away. If i turn the fan on and leave it on for some time it will squeak once i turn off the fan the belt will stop. I will try and spin and see if its the alternator pulley. And i have a gator back belt.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
When you start a car and their is a squeek noise, if you spray the belt with a water bottle and the noise goes away its the belt. If its a constant noise or metalic sound its bearing. I still never would put anything on a belt. A belt thats to tight or to lose will cause a noise also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Belt Noise