2005 F150 2wd front brakes PLEASE

Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 2wd front brakes PLEASE

I was told that the front rotors can't be turned, and not only that.. they have to replace the entire front hub assembly.. Is this correct, or am I getting screwed?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
On the 4x2, the rotor, hub and bearing are all one piece. They can be turned, but have to be doen on the truck. A dealer should have equipment to do this. However, I have never turned one, just replace the entire unit, as the bearing has failed before needing turning. There is a company that makes a replacement hub, Centric. You then use the 4x4 rotors. Use the Search and enter Centric and you should find some posts about them.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
On the 4x2, the rotor, hub and bearing are all one piece. They can be turned, but have to be doen on the truck. A dealer should have equipment to do this. However, I have never turned one, just replace the entire unit, as the bearing has failed before needing turning. There is a company that makes a replacement hub, Centric. You then use the 4x4 rotors. Use the Search and enter Centric and you should find some posts about them.

Thank you, I was quoted 1100, for replacement of the front and pads front & rear.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by bigdog87
Thank you, I was quoted 1100, for replacement of the front and pads front & rear.
Wow! You can do it yourself for less than half that and that includes replacing the front rotors. If the are not badly grooved, I would not turn them or replace them. I have never tured a rotor, myself. I have just changed the pads many time over the years and never had a problem.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Wow! You can do it yourself for less than half that and that includes replacing the front rotors. If the are not badly grooved, I would not turn them or replace them. I have never tured a rotor, myself. I have just changed the pads many time over the years and never had a problem.

They do have the wobble when I go to stop, which is frustrating.. Going to take the wheels off with my dad and look at them myself..

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM
If rotors can be turned but only 1 0r 2 times depending on how much was removed previously. After a certain amount of material is removed they wont take them down many more. Most autozones can turn your rotors for cheap. Had them do a few sets of mine over the years.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by rrozell
If rotors can be turned but only 1 0r 2 times depending on how much was removed previously. After a certain amount of material is removed they wont take them down many more. Most autozones can turn your rotors for cheap. Had them do a few sets of mine over the years.
Most stores do not have the equipment to do the 4x2 rotors on the 2004 and up. There may be more stores getting the equipment now, so you should make sure before you take them in.

To the OP, if they are already warpped, then haveing them turned makes them thinner and they will probably just warp again.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigdog87
sounds like someone is trying to screw you big time.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, went somewhere else.. 686, front hub assembly, pads front & rear, labor, tax, out the door.. Said he'd check to make sure I even needed what I was told previously. MUCH better deal!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Find a shop that has an on-car brake lathe.

We have one at Goodyear where I work at, and one of the techs at our shop turned my front rotors to get rid of a pulsation I had.

Just ask shops if they have the on-car lathe, and proper adapter to fit the 6 lug pattern on the 04-up F150.

If they charge you any more than a half hour per rotor to turn them, you're getting ripped off. That's the going rate around the area here for turning rotors at a shop. Regardless of on or off-car.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
bigdog87, I was quoted $910 to do the same thing you are talking about. This was at a Ford dealer.

I can do it myself, so I am checking on all the parts needed now. I am figuring on doing vented rotors for the front as that's where most of the weight goes when you hit the brakes which means most of the heat as well.

Did you take care of yours already?

BTW, mine is a 2006 with 60k on the clock and it's the first brake issue for us (I have friends with 2004 and 2005's that have needed it done after 30k).

Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I elected to go with the EBC setup. Sport rotors (GD7448) and yellowstuff pads (DP41696/2R). Being a two wheel drive is a bitch on these trucks as many of you know due to the rotors and bearing/hub being one piece. I was very pleased to find the EBC kit changes this. Now the rotor and bearing are seperate pieces and should I need to replace either in the future I will be free to select any rotor I want. The setup looks just like the Centric setup which elimanates the stupid one piece design. I got the parts at http://www.race-mart.com/ They were by far the cheapest. Bear in mind you don't have to go to this level as far as rotors and pads go. These are geared more towards racing which is what I needed. EBC has a few different levels of rotors and pads.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:59 PM
twinskrewd, did you go to their actual store or figure out how to navigate through their web site? I can't figure out how to find the kits like you are talking about.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I had the same issue. So I emailed them and told them what I had done to the truck and that I race it a few times a year and ask for there reccomendation.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Got it. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 2wd front brakes PLEASE